Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Enginerd's Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 05:52 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyvette
>Immediately blows engine
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Guess we will see.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Properly tuned, it will have no issues. Cool build!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Creamo3
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Might want to hit up Fran at RPM to see what he thinks about swapping cam; I believe the B3 was originally setup for blower setups but did so well that they used it for N/A as well. I think the only difference between their N/A cam and blower is 114 LSA vs 116. I purchased the B3 with a future blower in mind. Cool build none the less
Old 03-30-2017, 09:58 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Might want to hit up Fran at RPM to see what he thinks about swapping cam; I believe the B3 was originally setup for blower setups but did so well that they used it for N/A as well. I think the only difference between their N/A cam and blower is 114 LSA vs 116. I purchased the B3 with a future blower in mind. Cool build none the less
Yeah, I spoke with Fran about it. I'm definitely keeping the B3 going forward. I'm excited to see how it does. Folks have used it on blower cars with good results.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Alky Control kit is installed, fuel system plumbed and crank pulley ready to be pinned. Starts going back together and blower install Friday and Saturday.

I've been learning a LOT about tuning from Unreal and others on the forum. My current tuner is remote and only comes to town a few times a year. Looks like timing is working out that I may go a different route after street tuning remotely to get it running to check mechanical stuff and drive it to the tuning location. I've been looking into MAF tuning vs. Speed Density and hybrid tuning configurations. Definitely seems beneficial with a big cam to use Speed Density to smooth things out (currently the car is tuned all MAF). Then transition to MAF up top once the air is flowing well.

During the install research phase, I was getting mixed info about the ECU on my "early" Z06 (it's an 08) having limited tuning tables for injectors requiring scaling instead of enough table values to account for larger than about 6X lb injectors. It also seems that the 80# injectors that came with the kit might be a little excessive since my setup will require meth since the compression is slightly bumped. probably going to back the size down some and then ensure the tuning is scaled correctly to account for that. Other issue with that the MAF may not support the airflow up top, but after confirming that the tube in the A&A kit is just under 4" I.D., it should be OK. In the even that it's not, I'll have to go Speed Density only or look into a larger charge pipe I guess.

The adventures continue!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Guess we will see.

Alky Control kit is installed, fuel system plumbed and crank pulley ready to be pinned. Starts going back together and blower install Friday and Saturday.

I've been learning a LOT about tuning from Unreal and others on the forum. My current tuner is remote and only comes to town a few times a year. Looks like timing is working out that I may go a different route after street tuning remotely to get it running to check mechanical stuff and drive it to the tuning location. I've been looking into MAF tuning vs. Speed Density and hybrid tuning configurations. Definitely seems beneficial with a big cam to use Speed Density to smooth things out (currently the car is tuned all MAF). Then transition to MAF up top once the air is flowing well.

During the install research phase, I was getting mixed info about the ECU on my "early" Z06 (it's an 08) having limited tuning tables for injectors requiring scaling instead of enough table values to account for larger than about 6X lb injectors. It also seems that the 80# injectors that came with the kit might be a little excessive since my setup will require meth since the compression is slightly bumped. probably going to back the size down some and then ensure the tuning is scaled correctly to account for that. Other issue with that the MAF may not support the airflow up top, but after confirming that the tube in the A&A kit is just under 4" I.D., it should be OK. In the even that it's not, I'll have to go Speed Density only or look into a larger charge pipe I guess.

The adventures continue!
Thanks for the update...looking forward to the results!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:42 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Balancer is in and it's coming together!
Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2017, 06:22 PM
DPW_
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

subscribed ...nice build!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:19 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by DPW_
subscribed ...nice build!
Thanks, more to come hopefully. Looking forward to the spring!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Word of caution with the ATI pinning kit..... The reamer is a POS. I broke mine. Luckily I was able to get it out and finish drilling the hole with the right sized drill bit. The supplied drill bit is crap too. Damn thing wouldn't cut worth a crap. Good think I have good USA made drill bits......

The only reason to not calibrate both MAF and VE, is time and money (loss of profit). And there isn't a switch to flip back and forth. MAF is always referenced, even when RPM is in the SD primary mode. You can scale your injector tables for the larger injectors, and you don't technically run out of MAF either. You just have to use a different PID. I do like the newer ECM though. More O2 tables, increased MAF resolution, and don't need to scale. I personally do not like to scale, because inevitably; some obscure table will be off.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:10 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Word of caution with the ATI pinning kit..... The reamer is a POS. I broke mine. Luckily I was able to get it out and finish drilling the hole with the right sized drill bit. The supplied drill bit is crap too. Damn thing wouldn't cut worth a crap. Good think I have good USA made drill bits......

The only reason to not calibrate both MAF and VE, is time and money (loss of profit). And there isn't a switch to flip back and forth. MAF is always referenced, even when RPM is in the SD primary mode. You can scale your injector tables for the larger injectors, and you don't technically run out of MAF either. You just have to use a different PID. I do like the newer ECM though. More O2 tables, increased MAF resolution, and don't need to scale. I personally do not like to scale, because inevitably; some obscure table will be off.
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily we got the crank pinned without much issue. Definitely used our own drill bit and things went well.

I'm feeling better about the tuning situation even though my ECU is crippled. I wish there was an easy way to swap it for a newer one but for now I'm going with what I have.

Any recommendations as far as tuning for safety if the alky pump were to fail? I've heard a few schools of thought. Some use a big dump in timing if the IAT sensor sees an increase in temp with the meth not blowing across it. Others basically dump ridiculous amounts of fuel so it falls on its face, others cut spark somehow but I'm not familiar with that but saw someone post about it. My tuner wants to drop the injector size so as to not scale more than needed but it will force more meth dependency. Thoughts?
Old 04-08-2017, 01:01 AM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily we got the crank pinned without much issue. Definitely used our own drill bit and things went well.

I'm feeling better about the tuning situation even though my ECU is crippled. I wish there was an easy way to swap it for a newer one but for now I'm going with what I have.

Any recommendations as far as tuning for safety if the alky pump were to fail? I've heard a few schools of thought. Some use a big dump in timing if the IAT sensor sees an increase in temp with the meth not blowing across it. Others basically dump ridiculous amounts of fuel so it falls on its face, others cut spark somehow but I'm not familiar with that but saw someone post about it. My tuner wants to drop the injector size so as to not scale more than needed but it will force more meth dependency. Thoughts?
Ask Joshua at A&A, he will help you in a heartbeat. He is a very experienced tuner and has tuned boosted Vettes for at least the last 8 years. He owned his own shop here in Texas near Dallas before moving to Cali and working A&A.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Lots of progress today... waiting on some Injectors and need to finish some wiring. Since I kept the Nick Williams, mostly for aesthetics as this is a show car as well, I need another 118mm breeze clamp. Need to find out where to get one quickly.
Attached Images      
Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Siliconehoses(dot)com sells the T-bolt clamps, and I'm sure Jeg's and Summit would as well.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Siliconehoses(dot)com sells the T-bolt clamps, and I'm sure Jeg's and Summit would as well.
Thanks. Picked one up via Amazon prime. More progress today. Mighty mouse catch can installed, bumper and fender back on and gauges wired up.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice! I pretty much have to find anything and everything through Prime because shipping to HI is absurd.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:35 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Got her started today. Other than some leaking from the Proform valve covers at the gasket (new gasket ordered), the maiden voyage went well and street tuning has commenced.

Last edited by EnginerdVT; 04-12-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Enginerd's Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)

Old 04-13-2017, 08:15 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Nice !!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:42 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Other than asthetics I suppose, any reason not to use Hose clamps instead of T-bolt clamps? I found that hose clamps on my throttle body help up better to 25PSI of boost better than t-bolt clamps did on my turbo cobra. Maybe because they had more "bite"? not sure.

Car sounds good!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Other than asthetics I suppose, any reason not to use Hose clamps instead of T-bolt clamps? I found that hose clamps on my throttle body help up better to 25PSI of boost better than t-bolt clamps did on my turbo cobra. Maybe because they had more "bite"? not sure.

Car sounds good!
No really good reason. I actually mostly have the breeze clamps that A&A supplied but needed one more 4" one since I have the larger throttle body.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Enginerd's Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)