Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] time for a another wiggle test?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:44 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Default time for a another wiggle test?

my 06 Z had heads done at 32k miles

car now has 52k miles and i am paranoid to step on it lol

its a daily driver with 80% freeway miles

engine sounds really healthy, no weird valvetrain noises, dynoed at 497/452

this what has been done to the heads

CompCam Rocker arms conversion

SS exhaust valves

CHE bronze valve guides ( intake and exhaust )

Dual springs ( TI retainers, springs, locks,seals )

i cant imagine dropping a valve, wife would divorce me
Old 03-06-2015, 11:45 AM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think it would hurt, it would give you peace of mind.

Also I would like to see the results, so yes do it! Lol
Old 03-06-2015, 12:01 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

This is the big question. Are we just kicking the can down the road or are the heads actually being fixed? Guess we'll be finding out as the miles are being racked up. As the rebuilt heads get retested we should have a new sticky with the results so we can keep track of which fixes work and which don't.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:03 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I would for peace of mind.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Why not, it is quick and easy.

That being said, even if they are worn, you probably don't have much to worry about with a solid SS valve. The head will take a hell of a lot more to beat off than a factory valve.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:34 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Unreal
Why not, it is quick and easy.

That being said, even if they are worn, you probably don't have much to worry about with a solid SS valve. The head will take a hell of a lot more to beat off than a factory valve.
Ahh we heard this hypothesis in a while...

What do you have to lose right? I mean other than about 15K?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I said do the test, and fix if needed. But I believe that the single solid valve will take more of a beating and be far harder to bust the head off than a hollow valve. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've done a lot of tensile testing on materials and parts with an instron and I can't see how it wouldn't be harder to pull the head off a solid valve than a hollow one.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

I said do the test, and fix if needed. But I believe that the single solid valve will take more of a beating and be far harder to bust the head off than a hollow valve. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've done a lot of tensile testing on materials and parts with an instron and I can't see how it wouldn't be harder to pull the head off a solid valve than a hollow one.

Im sure it could last a bit longer. How much is the question and how far out of spec would be the better one. No valve can survive under those conditions.

But again, if its out of spec just fix it. Telling the guy not to worry because its a solid valve rather than OEM is a silly idea and bad advice.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:57 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

After 20k Id certainly do it. Just for peace of mind and due diligence.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
my 06 Z had heads done at 32k miles

car now has 52k miles and i am paranoid to step on it lol

its a daily driver with 80% freeway miles

engine sounds really healthy, no weird valvetrain noises, dynoed at 497/452

this what has been done to the heads

CompCam Rocker arms conversion

SS exhaust valves

CHE bronze valve guides ( intake and exhaust )

Dual springs ( TI retainers, springs, locks,seals )

i cant imagine dropping a valve, wife would divorce me
Sounds like WCCH set up just like I had. I checked mine after same amount of miles and 1 year of road racing and they passed. I wouldn't worry about it. But certainly have them check instead of possible divorce

DH
Old 03-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I agree. But some of my best buddies here just don't seem to believe. I sure they would be happy living in the straw house when the big bad wolf comes by ..................

DH
Old 03-06-2015, 03:44 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I agree. But some of my best buddies here just don't seem to believe. I sure they would be happy living in the straw house when the big bad wolf comes by ..................

DH
This guy is at 28K miles and reports no issues:

Originally Posted by KRAYZ308

KRAYZ308
SO Cal
WCC Stage 2 milled .030
SS exhaust valves
bronze guides
extreme springs and keepers
CHE rockers
Installed on a bottom end with 35,000, (second motor because first motor went at 40,000)
with a Comp "Smog" cam
Dynoed at 522 RWHP
Have 28,000 on heads/ 63,000 on motor now with a few track days.
No problems, still smokes the tires when you get on it.
Drive it to work most days.
So we know that it is "possible" to go at least that far and expect no issues.

That said though, when it comes to examination and maintenance decisions, then each owner will need to decide based upon his own opinions and needs.

A maintenance interval of 28,000+ street miles and a few track days might be OK for many owners, but at the same time, it might be way too many miles , and may exceed the comfort level for others.

But at 28K+ miles, if his "fix" hasn't failed yet, i.e. if it hasn't dropped a valve yet, well then he is well on his way to finding out just how effective his particular approach to the management of the issue pans out.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-06-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:47 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

DH
I killed the wolf so I don't have to worry about it anymore. No need to build the house stronger when the wolf is dead. Others choose to hide from that big bad wolf in a stronger house. Sadly though, he will find a way in eventually.

You guys are right on queue BTW. You living together in that same brick house now?

Last edited by propain; 03-06-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:50 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like WCCH set up just like I had. I checked mine after same amount of miles and 1 year of road racing and they passed. I wouldn't worry about it. But certainly have them check instead of possible divorce

DH
actually done at RPM

who do you recommend nowadays to do the Wiggle test? Heritage? how much do they charge?
Old 03-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
I killed the wolf so I don't have to worry about it anymore. No need to build the house stronger when the wolf is dead. Others choose to hide from that big bad wolf in a stronger house. Sadly though, he will find a way in eventually.

You guys are right on queue BTW. You living together in that same brick house now?
You did read the part where I was addressing "my best buddies", right

Now why didn't the three piggies just do that ?

DH
Old 03-06-2015, 03:59 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

You did read the part where I was addressing "my best buddies", right

Now why didn't the three piggies just do that ?

DH
Maybe someone will write an article about it and give you your answer.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by propain
Maybe someone will write an article about it and give you your answer.
From fairy dust to references to straw house's and big bad wolf, it would appear someone is trying to relive a childhood..

Get notified of new replies

To time for a another wiggle test?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Z06_1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the OP, I do agree 20k miles should be sufficient to detect a pattern of wear.

If you DO find they are headed south again, PM me and I will share with you how to keep from doing the head swap dance a second time.

And once again, let's all say it together, like a mantra ..Just beacuse your engine didn't consume a valve yet does NOT mean you fixed "the issue"!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would definitely check it. Just to know and to help build some data for seeing if it is all fixed.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
actually done at RPM

who do you recommend nowadays to do the Wiggle test? Heritage? how much do they charge?
A tough question to answer in the midst of the $#!* storm which is this discussion, the money at stake, the jockeying for position, the "market share" in the balance, and "reputations" at stake when it comes to this particular matter.

You take the car to the same shop that did the heads and have the "wiggle test" done, then don't be surprised if your stem to guide clearances check out "A" OK.

You take the car to a competing shop for the same test, well then don't be surprised if they check out of spec.

I hate to be cynical here, but taking into consideration my own prior comments above, when it comes to the "wiggle test" I do believe that it is likely that the answer you get, is really going to depend to large extent upon the answer you "want". I have that little confidence it it and those doing it.

And so if you are going to do it, then probably better to just do it yourself. Or if you really want accurate measurements, pull the heads and have the stem to guide clearances actually measured as opposed to guessed at.

While maintenance and peace of mind are objectives which will be reached at different points for all of us, and have different thresholds for each of us, it can't be discounted the position or the argument that if it's running OK now, well then why not stay off this forum and just keep driving it and not muck with it.

The question could be asked if you have other vehicles currently in your possession which are running as well as your Z06 is at this time, do you have any plans to have them wiggle tested too?

Of course how you answer that or approach the prior comment to that question, will depend a great deal on your own comfort level, maintenance schedules, and what you feel should fall under the umbrella of what is considered appropriate maintenance for your vehicle(s).

Good luck.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-06-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] time for a another wiggle test?