Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:37 PM
BlueLineCorvettesSW
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX

I have a 2006 Z06 with touch screen and nav...has anyone swapped for the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX? Did it fit well? Was the swap simple/complicated? What's your overall take on the Pioneer?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 PM
fstphx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlueLineCorvettesSW
I have a 2006 Z06 with touch screen and nav...has anyone swapped for the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX? Did it fit well? Was the swap simple/complicated? What's your overall take on the Pioneer? Thanks
Have one in my Z. Fits well, the surround needed sanded down a bit to fold the face down.
This is my 5th pioneer in dash DVD. I like them a lot.
When you get it, good chance it won't have latest firmware to enable the NEX iPhone functions, Easy to update.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:18 PM
EnV
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by fstphx
Have one in my Z. Fits well, the surround needed sanded down a bit to fold the face down.
This is my 5th pioneer in dash DVD. I like them a lot.
When you get it, good chance it won't have latest firmware to enable the NEX iPhone functions, Easy to update.
Do you mind posting a picture of it? I'd like to see how it looks in dash, I'm thinking about it as well. The stock unit sucks.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:03 PM
fstphx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EnV
Do you mind posting a picture of it? I'd like to see how it looks in dash, I'm thinking about it as well. The stock unit sucks.
I added custom backgrounds as well
It fits the dash well IMO

Off
Name:  PdBZDWv.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  68.8 KB

Boot up (my car)
Name:  kSNgDLT.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  47.6 KB

Main screen (found online)
Name:  Ec8msGY.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  57.5 KB
Old 06-05-2015, 05:50 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Not to hyjack the thread or anything but I'm deaf as a post. I do like the in dash nav. Who has the best aftermarket nav with more concern for the quality of the nav then audio?
Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 AM
fstphx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stefuel
Not to hyjack the thread or anything but I'm deaf as a post. I do like the in dash nav. Who has the best aftermarket nav with more concern for the quality of the nav then audio?
With this Pioneer, it mirrors Apple maps and gives turn by turn from my phon. Also shows my texts, music and has button to talk to Siri. Bluetooth or USB.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:10 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I love my Pioneer, I went with the 4700 because I wanted to spend money on the sound and not nav. The Bluetooth is awesome with music and phone...
Old 06-05-2015, 09:21 AM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
I love my Pioneer, I went with the 4700 because I wanted to spend money on the sound and not nav. The Bluetooth is awesome with music and phone...
I've been interested in the 8xxx series or the 4xxx series. If I can mirror my phone, I am having a hard time justifying the redundant gps/nav in the 8100. The only part that really intrigues me for the 8100 is the capacitive touch screen...hmmm.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Does any or all of these models work with the steering wheel buttons, that are in the 2009 model that work the phone answering and the radio?

I know nothing about this stuff and am interested in an upgrade in nav/ gps/ bluetooth for the radio/Iphone stuff. Thanks for any guidance.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:54 PM
BlueLineCorvettesSW
6th Gear

I have a 2006 Z06 with touch screen and nav...has anyone swapped for the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX? Did it fit well? Was the swap simple/complicated? What's your overall take on the Pioneer?

Thanks
A buddy of mine has this one...he said he has one without NAV and had it installed out the door for $550 in Tomball, Texas.

I may go with this one.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...edia/dnx571hd/
Old 06-05-2015, 06:55 PM
BlueLineCorvettesSW
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
Does any or all of these models work with the steering wheel buttons, that are in the 2009 model that work the phone answering and the radio?

I know nothing about this stuff and am interested in an upgrade in nav/ gps/ bluetooth for the radio/Iphone stuff. Thanks for any guidance.

My buddy has the Kenwood (see reply above for link) and he said it required a special cable but his steering wheel controls operate the radio fine. One mod his installer added was a USB drop cord in the glove box because the USB port on this Kenwood is on the back of the unit.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

My buddy has the Kenwood (see reply above for link) and he said it required a special cable but his steering wheel controls operate the radio fine. One mod his installer added was a USB drop cord in the glove box because the USB port on this Kenwood is on the back of the unit.
Thanks for the link.
Sorry if these are dumb questions, does his/your vette have the PHONE control buttons on the steering wheel too and do they work with this unit?

The special cable you mentioned, is behind it also or does it show out front?

Is he happy with the sound and how the nav/everything works?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:20 PM
BlueLineCorvettesSW
6th Gear

Thanks for the link.
Sorry if these are dumb questions, does his/your vette have the PHONE control buttons on the steering wheel too and do they work with this unit?

The special cable you mentioned, is behind it also or does it show out front?

Is he happy with the sound and how the nav/everything works?
He said everything works as it should and he absolutely loves the radio.

The special cable is under the dash out of view it runs from the radio to the column and up to the wheel.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

He said everything works as it should and he absolutely loves the radio.

The special cable is under the dash out of view it runs from the radio to the column and up to the wheel.
Thanks for the information. I'm only asking about the PHONE buttons part on the wheel now. Did he have it on his and does it work properly for him?

Also on 2 vendor sites, it states that it's discontinued and replaced with a different model number. Perhaps a newer/better model?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:51 AM
BlueLineCorvettesSW
6th Gear

Thanks for the information. I'm only asking about the PHONE buttons part on the wheel now. Did he have it on his and does it work properly for him?

Also on 2 vendor sites, it states that it's discontinued and replaced with a different model number. Perhaps a newer/better model?
His phone buttons all work perfectly. He has the Kenwood DDX5901HD without navigation because you can use your iPhone maps on screen when paired with your phone. That's probably the one I'll get I never use the built in NAV in the Z or in my truck I always use my phone anyways so I don't see the point of paying for built in NAV when I can Bluetooth my phone maps straight into the radio anyways.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

His phone buttons all work perfectly. He has the Kenwood DDX5901HD without navigation because you can use your iPhone maps on screen when paired with your phone. That's probably the one I'll get I never use the built in NAV in the Z or in my truck I always use my phone anyways so I don't see the point of paying for built in NAV when I can Bluetooth my phone maps straight into the radio anyways.
OK Thanks. I'll have a look at that model then. Thanks for sharing this information.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:11 PM
BlueLineCorvettesSW
6th Gear

OK Thanks. I'll have a look at that model then. Thanks for sharing this information.
You're very welcome I plan to get mine next month sometime. I can't wait!

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX

Old 06-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

You're very welcome I plan to get mine next month sometime. I can't wait!
Please let me/us know how it goes,etc. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:08 AM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the 7000NEX installed, Mine didn't require any clearancing, but the pak module for the steering wheel controls is a little quirky. the channel up/down button in radio mode actually just changes the frequency up/down instead of the channel. tried their custom programming as well as their stock and wasn't able to get it set up right, so now I just live with it.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I installed the Pioneer 4100NEX over the weekend. I am running it with Android auto for navigation and I have to say it has exceeded my expectations. There is no need to type in an address or even find an address: just say the name of what your looking for and it pops up on the screen. Plus, you get all the features of google maps: pinch to zoom, easily look at other areas or side roads, live traffic, live construction/incident report and the most up-to-date maps available.

For those considering the 4100 or 8100, save your money and get the 4100. The maps supported through Android Auto or iPhone whatever will always be better than the maps on a built in navigation system. The only reason I see going with the 8100 is if you're in an area that does not have good cell service.

I go the radio with a PAC install kit that made the swap stupid easy. I did not have to cut or modify a single wire from the factory harness. So, when it comes time to sell the Z, it will be really easy to swap the factory nav back into the car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX