Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MGW Shifter Install and issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:54 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsVette04
Glad you finally got it installed, but damn that silicone looks like garbage.

Something like that, while not seen, would drive me NUTS!
yea me too, I would order another one and change my approach on the install. lube w/WD40 or maybe even soapy water would be fine.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Are you using the stock ****? If so, does it seem like the stick is longer now?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

At least on the C6, With the stock **** it is actually longer which bothers me. Some people have shortened the shaft to allow to use the bottom hole and others have been able to grind out the inside of the **** some to allow the stock **** to go down to the second screw. There are a few that claimed they were able to force it down but I see no way on mine to do that. I wish they just made the shaft shorter to begin with, though I think they were too concerned about the cry babies worrying about increased shift effort.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
yea me too, I would order another one and change my approach on the install. lube w/WD40 or maybe even soapy water would be fine.
Lol-Believe it or not I was told by several people to use KY jelly as its water based and dissolves over time. That thing was as slippery as can be this time and still tore (no pun intended). Telling you-it's either the factory parts they are selling now aren't as good as the stock one that came with the car, or my car specifically is positioned closer to one side and will tear them each and every time.

As far as the look after adding RTF silicone, after doing the whole process twice, I could care less how it looks as long as it holds up and does its job. If I get bored one day I'll try it again, but to risk spending more time/money (money less of a big deal than my time as its a $40 part when you add in shipping) and tearing another one is not worth the risk/reward for me.

Last edited by pikemike428; 08-08-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:26 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I added the race **** when I purchased it. Never have been a fan of the factory ****. Here are some shots of the final product.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:15 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

my factory **** was able to go down to the bottom hole with no problems

Last edited by v8sten; 08-08-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 AM
Jacobsc5
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George
We do mention to lubricate the boot to slide it around the shifter. I am sorry about yours tearing but i have installed over 500 units personally for customers and have not had one tear ( YET) ....i usuallu have your luck with these things though....

concerning the play we get about 5-10 calls a month for this and its ALWAYS not getting the pinch bolt tight enough. It is a stupid design by the oem engineers of that thing because the half moon cutout in the linkage rod should aling VERY close to the shoulder of the pinch bolt so it works as a drive pin with no play. But it doesnt you actually have to CLAMP the rod and if you overtighten you can break the clamp but if you do not get VERY tight and loctite it then it can slip.

We had a torque spec from GM but it actually is not enough and causes slippage in SOME cars so even thats no help. But its always this issue.

George
Hey George I am one of the unfortunate ones who just today cracked the top of the clamp what would you suggest?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:45 AM
Jacobsc5
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Jacobsc5

Hey George I am one of the unfortunate ones who just today cracked the top of the clamp what would you suggest?
I took it for a spin anyways and it drives perfect, but am parking it until I can find a permanent fix. Thanks
Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

My wife installed hers in less than 45 minutes !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Jacobsc5
Heel & Toe

Took a risk and slapped some JB Weld on there and it worked perfect! I’ll keep y’all updated if anything changes. Searched everywhere and couldn’t find a fix that didn’t require replacing the whole linkage rod. Hope this helped guys.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:16 AM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed mine about 2 weeks ago im trying to remember the boot. you actually have to trim some of that inside out to fit if I remember correctly did you trim enough so it wasn't a SUPER tight fit... I guess it doesn't matter im lame and late to the game. your already done. Im glad you like it. I love mine. I love how its stiff and notchy. and in regards to tightening the bolts. I tried my best to Strip them. they are suppose to be tight. I almost broke the tightening tool they gave me.. I was trying to.. but first time... complete and shifted great. got in every gear.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MGW Shifter Install and issue