Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Trip to CO... Need 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:19 PM
amdoverclocker
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trip to CO... Need 93 octane

Greeting! I live in KC where I can get 93 octane gas all day(BP). I'm wanting to go on a road trip to CO here in a few weeks but I'm having issues with finding 93 out there. I've been reading about mixing high octane stuff with 91 to make 93 but some of it seem a bit off. Can anyone give me good advice on how I can make it out there? Also, any good tuners/shops in Denver? Thanks!

milled heads .030" with Katech K501
Old 07-24-2015, 10:20 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

I've read there's some 93 octane stations in the denver area, but the rest of the state is 91.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Much of Colorado is at 6000+ ft. of elevation and at those altitudes you don't need as much octane. Where are you going?
Old 07-25-2015, 12:27 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

If you are not modded, you can use 81. The OM even indicates in a pinch you could run 87, just don't use the performance of the car. All I can get here is 91. I only mix in 100 when I can get it at track events to get the overall octane up to 93+, but that is running the engine 4-7K all the time.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:51 AM
UniTink72
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't help you now, but this is why I went e85. It's easier to find nowadays than 93 octane.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:26 AM
amdoverclocker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Les
Much of Colorado is at 6000+ ft. of elevation and at those altitudes you don't need as much octane. Where are you going?
Loveland and Estas Park then down to Denver then to Colorado Springs and Pikes Peek.

Originally Posted by AzDave47
If you are not modded, you can use 81. The OM even indicates in a pinch you could run 87, just don't use the performance of the car. All I can get here is 91. I only mix in 100 when I can get it at track events to get the overall octane up to 93+, but that is running the engine 4-7K all the time.
Not stock. milled heads .030" with Katech K501
Old 07-25-2015, 01:31 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

This one is simple; just carry some good octane booster for the trip, or plan to stop by auto parts stores along the way.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:01 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dan the man. Got it right buy Torco Accelerator and add half a quart per tank to go from 91 to 93 octane it's just that easy. I do it all the time here in Tulsa where Sinclair has a refinery withaa 117 octane stream but only sells 91 octane statewide .
Old 07-25-2015, 07:40 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Its all about dynamic compression, not static compression. At lower VE levels, octane is a non issue. If you part throttle drive, you'll never approach the knock threshold of the fuel. Peak tq rpm, at full throttle, is also peak ve...thats when the knock resistance is most utilized.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

No issues at all running 91. Just fill up and enjoy. The higher elevation doesn't need 93. Also if you are worried, just don't beat on it. Car doesn't need crazy octane at part throttle.

If your car is tuned so aggressive that running 91 instead of 93 is going to cause an issue, find a new tuner.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:38 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Default additional item to watch for knock

the other item I've used as I use Torco to boost my octane is a Palmer Electronics Dashlogic unit that plugs into the OBDII port. I've been using Torco to have 93 octane and have never had the Dashlogic unit warn me that I'm seeing any knock.

It allows you to monitor the car for knock; so when you're using octane boosters. It helps ensure you're in the safe zone as it monitors the engine for ANY knock; and posts the info to your DIC/HUD.I've been using one for two years now and have never detected any knock, its cheap insurance if you go the route of using an octane booster. For the record. Torco is shipped with hazardous shipping included at a cost of 120/1.5 gallons, or just over $300 for 5 gallons.

Each quart contains enough booster to raise the octane from 91 to 93 for two 16 gallon tanks...although I always use the half quart to treat 13 gallons - and have a safety margin. Since I run a lab in my work life, I've used my empty cans to measure out half quarts ahead of time, as I recall it ends up being 360 grams/ half quart of Torco. While that sounds low, its due to the use of low lb/gallon aliphatic solvents as the MMT carrier (MMT is the manganese based booster).

However a word to the wise, MMT will invalidate your warranty; so if you've got an extended warranty - its not the way to go. Chevrolet mentions MMT in their warranty.

However it doesn't hurt the engine at all; as it was a organometallic compound originally developed by Ethyl Corporation to replace TEL (tetraethyl lead). Properly formulated, like Torco, MMT octane boosters have materials in then to help prevent any inline valve buildup in the valve seating area, as well as protection from valve seat recession.

My brother worked at Ethyl while MMT was developed as an Executive VP, so I have a complete understanding of the chemistry. Really good stuff when properly formulated as it is in Torco.

Torco even has a small amount of naphthalene in their formula (moth ***** are made from naphthalene)...which is a really old school trick that the government used in WW2 to ensure the octane levels of fuels used in the battlefield. (Gas chromatography and Mass Spec is your friend).
Old 07-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Torco does work great, but if he is just highway cruising through CO no need. Just enjoy the trip. Now if he is going to CO to do a race, I could see the concern, but unless he is ripping 4500+rpm and beating the hell out of the car, it probably wouldn't even care if it was 87 octane.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:12 PM
amdoverclocker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
If your car is tuned so aggressive that running 91 instead of 93 is going to cause an issue, find a new tuner.
Agreed. I can't find a good tuner here in KC. I've tried two with sad results. One of these days I hope to make it up to Katech and have them tune it.

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
Each quart contains enough booster to raise the octane from 91 to 93 for two 16 gallon tanks...although I always use the half quart to treat 13 gallons - and have a safety margin. Since I run a lab in my work life, I've used my empty cans to measure out half quarts ahead of time, as I recall it ends up being 360 grams/ half quart of Torco. While that sounds low, its due to the use of low lb/gallon aliphatic solvents as the MMT carrier (MMT is the manganese based booster).

However a word to the wise, MMT will invalidate your warranty; so if you've got an extended warranty - its not the way to go. Chevrolet mentions MMT in their warranty.
Perfect! Thanks! Warranty is long up.

Torco does work great, but if he is just highway cruising through CO no need. Just enjoy the trip. Now if he is going to CO to do a race, I could see the concern, but unless he is ripping 4500+rpm and beating the hell out of the car, it probably wouldn't even care if it was 87 octane.
I'll probably be somewhere in the middle. I bought a case of Torco just to be on the safe side. I don't trust the tune/tuner.

Thanks for the replys! I'll follow up when I get back.. hopefully without a speeding ticket. Driving across Kansas can get boring and my foot thends to get heavy.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:29 PM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I made the trip last year from STL. Don't be pissed when your 12,000 feet above sea level and your car feels like it's down 6 cylinders lol. I had good luck stopping at shell...but like everyone said 91 is all you can get. I recommend going down to Cannon City and taking hwy 50 up to Salida.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:31 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

I could see the concern, but unless he is ripping 4500+rpm and beating the hell out of the car, it probably wouldn't even care if it was 87 octane.
Dude, no offense if you call a 4500 rpm "ripping it" then you ought to have a coupe with a 6500 rpm redline. I love to shift at 5500- 6500, not WOT shift but rather continuous acceleration; until its opened up; with the occasional WOT pull to 6800 as I get on the highway. If you don't drive it and enjoy the powerband of the LS7 then why did you get one??

There's nothing like an LS7 - nothing that Chevy has ever built, although I'm pretty sure the new flat crank GT350R with an 8250 rpm redline would be even more fun...much closer to a Ferrari .
Old 07-25-2015, 11:27 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issues at all running 91. Just fill up and enjoy. The higher elevation doesn't need 93. Also if you are worried, just don't beat on it. Car doesn't need crazy octane at part throttle.

plus, as others have commented on, you'll experience a loss of power with increasing altitudes. Approx. 3% for each 1000 ft above sea level. Don't worry about the octane; enjoy the driving and the scenery.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
Dude, no offense if you call a 4500 rpm "ripping it" then you ought to have a coupe with a 6500 rpm redline. I love to shift at 5500- 6500, not WOT shift but rather continuous acceleration; until its opened up; with the occasional WOT pull to 6800 as I get on the highway. If you don't drive it and enjoy the powerband of the LS7 then why did you get one??

There's nothing like an LS7 - nothing that Chevy has ever built, although I'm pretty sure the new flat crank GT350R with an 8250 rpm redline would be even more fun...much closer to a Ferrari .
I said 4500 because that is where an ls7 makes peak torque typically, which is where it has the highest octane requirements. Wasn't implying shifting at 4500.

My car goes to 7500. It doesn't start making 1000+rwhp until 4500 so it isn't even any fun until then. As far as an ls7, I sold mine to a guy that dropped a valve twice, and did a nice LSX setup. I got a z06 for the drivetrain/aluminum frame, not the motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Trip to CO... Need 93 octane

Quick Reply: [Z06] Trip to CO... Need 93 octane