Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PLEZ HELP! C6z PROBLEM! LOUD CLACKING WHEN AC IS TURNED ON, RATTLING PEDALS, BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Z06_ARCHITECT
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEZ HELP! C6z PROBLEM! LOUD CLACKING WHEN AC IS TURNED ON, RATTLING PEDALS, BAD!

PLEASE HELP!!! Im turning to the "Corvette Forum" for help, im sure many of you know what is going on but Im worried and DO NOT!! I bought my 4th Corvette, 2006 z06, 70,000 miles, its run like a dream last few months but about a month ago, i started noticing when id turn the AC on, not the fan, but actualy AC , as soon as i push the button that goes from normal air (warm or cool) to AC cool air, there was a light clacking sound, reminds me of a clutch plate, kind of clacking trying to engage or something? i visualize a pulley going bad that when i push the ac button it engages the ac and the pulley wheel wobbling around from bad bearings or something???, again that is ONLY what i visualize, I have NOT seen that or anything. i never worried about it and used the ac as normal as it was quiet,
well a month later (couple days ago) i got in my car to go home from the office and turned the ac on as its 95 degrees here, and that same clacking was horribly LOUD and THE PEDALS were rattling vibrating as it clacked "CLACK, CLACK CLACK ACLACK..." SOUND really fast. i immidiately pushed the temperature control button "off" to shut the air completely down and the sound disapeared . i drove it home and figured something with the ac is going out, compressor? compressor clutch? not sure how it works to be honest?
I drove it a few days because my Fiance had my SUV because she loaned hers out to a friend and too hot to ride the R1 so I jsut didnt turn the AC on and it seemed fine, no sound. I got home and pulled in the garage popped the hood and could here a light clicking even with it off once the hood was open, but i could NOT see where it was comming from? so, i got in with the car running and pushed the temp control button to turn the air ON, to see if i could see where it was comming from better so i pushed the temp control button, turning it on and it was horribly LOUD with he hood open i couldnt stand it to even get out to see, afraid the Z was going to SELF DESTRUCT??? so i turned the air "off " and turned the car off.
THEN,.. this morning i decided to drive it to work and its cool today so id jsut leave the air OFF. i started the car, no issue, backed out and about 10' out of my garage the clacking started? WITH the AIR " OFF"??, ie: nothing on the digital display for temperature, ac control etc. i realized if i got on the freeway and whatever was making that noise "came loose" and "came apart" as it feels like it will, i didnt know what it would do, so i pulled back in and shut it off and wont drive it again until repaired our of fear.
the sound is a LOUD clacking sound,.. about 2-3 clacks per second consistent. right now with the AC OFF it would start for a few seconds , then stop , then start etc, like the "problem" was getting worse! Im sure in a matter of minutes or miles it would be consistently going even with the AC off and eventually will mechanically fail and come apart. if i engage the AC by pushing the temp control, it would be constant and id probably find out really fast whats wrong when it FAILED but not wanting to damage anything, i wont do that. Any mechanic im sure could and would jsut engage it and see where it comming from on a lift and fix it but worried about gettingtaken for a ride financially for the corvette Z06 tax at a dealership or auto repair shop. Im not loaded $$ jsut have saved up for a while for my DREAM c6Z so i dont have a fortune to spend on repairs which is why im comming to you all!
Im not sure if the AC uses a clutchplate to activate??? when you activate the AC? i picture the serpentine belt running over a pulley for the AC which free spins (sorry for my lack of mechanical language), then activating AC: engages the mechanical unit for the AC putting pressure on the pulley and the bearings in the pulley bieng bad therefor wobbling???, oooorrrr a clutch plate inthe ac trying to close????? LET ME SAY I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS!! My guess may be insanely stupid but just a guess to try and help describe it to you all? Does this make sense to anyone?
What would it be?
Do i need to replace the entire AC unit? and if so how much and where is the best place to get parts? Ive heard GM direct.com?
Or is it something MUCH worse?
Im assuming AC related where thats where it started, but is now "undirveable" I beleive. I have a mechanic thats a corvette guy but is out of town for a bit so jsut wanting to get an idea.
IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THIS WOULD BE OR HAS HAD IT HAPPEN, PLEASE REPLY OR EVEN FEEL FREE TO TEXT ME! 801-367-7310
Worried about my Z!
Also im getting married this month and am hoping its not a fortune to repair. I live in American Fork, Utah if anyone knows a good Corvette Tech in Utah? i dont trust the GM dealer here as i went there with my NAV problem and they were NO help and complete A** -HOLES to me.
A Corvette forum memeber told me how to simply fix the NAV problem by pulling the fuse and pushing eject at the same time where the Gm tech wouldnt give me even an idea of where the NAV unit fuse was located (radio fuse) without dropping the car off "for a few days to diagnose?"
You all solved my NAV problem and im hoping you can help with this? not sure if its a Z06 ac issue or c6 general ac issue but putting it in this dicussion incase its a LS7 AC problem.
PLEASE give me any ideas you may have and if i canbe put to ease on the cost thatd be great! thanks!
Old 08-04-2015, 12:40 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Didn't read your whole post, but it sounds like your A/C compressor has failed.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Definitely the compressor clutch has failed, back in the day you could replace just the ac clutch. Not sure if that's even cost effective or easier now than replacing the whole compressor/clutch assembly. My car is actually at my local Chevy dealer right now getting a new ac compressor put it in, luckily I have an extended warranty and it covered it. I feel your pain on having to drive without ac, its freakin hot down here in Texas.

If you absolutely need to drive your car you can actually just remove the ac belt. The ac compressor has its own belt, everything else is run off the main serpentine belt.

-jp
Old 08-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

The extra details in your post made it tough to get through. I hope you find the solution to your problem. I suggest making a video with the sound if you aren't satisfied with the previous replies.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

If it's not under warranty, I would avoid the Chevy dealer. Labor costs are very high. The AC compressor is on the engine passenger side, down very low. It's tough to access. Find a private shop locally that works on Chevys and take it in. You may be able to save some additional money if you purchase the parts (AC compressor) online and supply them. Also, don't forget to install a new AC belt while you're in there. It's also buried and difficult to access.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Sounds like the clutch assembly or the compressor it's self has failed.I would snip the belt off to insure something like the nose of the compressor doesn't fly off and damage something else Belts are cheap.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Z06_ARCHITECT
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by stefuel
Sounds like the clutch assembly or the compressor it's self has failed.I would snip the belt off to insure something like the nose of the compressor doesn't fly off and damage something else Belts are cheap.
thanks for that info, didnt think to jsut snip the belt, was going to unload the tensioner and take the belt off but itd be wise when fixing everyhting to put a new belt on anyway for a few $. thanks for that thought.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Z06_ARCHITECT
Heel & Toe

thanks for all your quick replys, I have some additional information, the outter clutch plate on the compressor held on by the allen bolt is loose to the touch, when i reach down there i can push with my finger and shake that outter plate about 1/4" back and fourth. Its like the allen bolt holding it on has backed out or rattled loos. Not sure if that means a bad clutch or bad compressor? Is it possible its just rattled loose and can be tightened back up? the AC seems to be working AMAZINGLY, nice and cold and funtions great, but does rattle the wheels off the car. The rattling pedals would be explained by the loose plate as the drive belt runs over the same pulley im assuming.
Ive been told to snip the AC belt so it can still be drovve to a shop etc and not chance having the plate fly off and damage something.
Does anyone know if the bolt can be tightened and how to hold the plate still to tighten it? also is it an allen bolt which it appears to be? looks like it and one fits but feels like with the pressure neeeded to tighten that bolt that itd strip out the bolt as its a tiny allen wrench.
Does it sound like i could jsut replace the ac clutch or is it wiser to shell out an extra $3-500 and do the compressor same time?
Any thoughts on any of this? Looks like a HELLA-PAIN to get the AC Comp. out, suspension etc in the way?
thanks! PS i do have pictures of the clutch gap open and closed and a video of rattling it if that helps.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

It's been a waaaay long time since I worked on a automotive compressor but what I think you are saying is you can move that center part that has a allen slot in it. I think that's actually the compressor shaft and it's broken. Or you are saying the clutch pack moves (which it should not) and it's bearing is shot. If the compressor is on it's own belt, lose the belt and drive it somewhere to get it checked out before something bad happens.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:31 AM
stew1100
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the exact same thing happen to me on another car. Tightened the bolt back down and all was well. Might want to put some lock tight on the bolt.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Z06_ARCHITECT
Heel & Toe

Default thanks and quesiton

Originally Posted by jp_tt_awd
Definitely the compressor clutch has failed, back in the day you could replace just the ac clutch. Not sure if that's even cost effective or easier now than replacing the whole compressor/clutch assembly. My car is actually at my local Chevy dealer right now getting a new ac compressor put it in, luckily I have an extended warranty and it covered it. I feel your pain on having to drive without ac, its freakin hot down here in Texas.

If you absolutely need to drive your car you can actually just remove the ac belt. The ac compressor has its own belt, everything else is run off the main serpentine belt.

-jp
what kind of aftermarket extended waranty did you get? im having some other issues and am debating paying up to get one that may cover my issues. i may have the dreaded valve guide issue ($3,500 problem) and thanks on the belt, i clipped it and have drove it here and there this winter when theres not 1 foot of snow on the ground lol
also do u know what the cost was to do a new ac compressor? labor and part? i know u have a waranty but wondering what the labor is.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Z06_ARCHITECT
Heel & Toe

Default how do u tighten the bolt?

Originally Posted by stew1100
Had the exact same thing happen to me on another car. Tightened the bolt back down and all was well. Might want to put some lock tight on the bolt.
sounds dumb but as i attempted ot hand tighten the bolt it didnt flinch, afraid of stripping out the bolt i didnt push further but should it be able to tighten? that was my logical hope (being able to jsut tighten it but maybe it is a bearing or something but feels liek the bolts jsut out too far.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Z06_ARCHITECT
Heel & Toe

quick reply,.. had the entire z06 gone through to sell and the entire ac compressor was toast and sent metal shavings throght he lines so needed a bunch of other stuff. wasnt cheap but its been fixed. If you hear clattering on yours, CUT the AC belt and get it to a dealer or whoever to change it before you have to deal with shavings int he lines. cost around $700 total for all the AC components and labor. but runs amazing and ice cold now!

Get notified of new replies

To PLEZ HELP! C6z PROBLEM! LOUD CLACKING WHEN AC IS TURNED ON, RATTLING PEDALS, BAD!

Quick Reply: [Z06] PLEZ HELP! C6z PROBLEM! LOUD CLACKING WHEN AC IS TURNED ON, RATTLING PEDALS, BAD!