Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tuning stock ls7 gains

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tuning stock ls7 gains

I have looked for a while for my answers, with no luck.
Could you z06 experts point me to a link or answer my questions?
My baby is a 2011 stock Z06.
Is the posted 505 hp accurate?
If I dyno tune my Z, how much hp gain can I expect?
Will I gain any torque...How much?
How much will this change fuel consumption?
Old 03-31-2013, 02:38 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have researched this quite a bit, on average you expect to pick up approx 25 rwhp and 20 to 25rwtq across the entire rpm board, with a good dyno tune and CAintake.

I am staying with my stock tune b/c I am not going to jeopardize 2.4 years of my GMPP warranty on my 2006 Z, and I can't even hook up the stock power on the street or track with street tires.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think I would take a chance tuning my car, especially after you see some results of bad tunes.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I certainly wouldn't tune it with stock exhaust valves.

Do you honestly think you will feel a SOTP difference between STOCK 450 RWHP/430TQ and tuned 475/450?

If it were me I'd spend my money on better tires and race driving school.

Don't get me wrong, I've done my share of mods, on LS1s -- but at 500 HP, you are reaching the point of diminishing returns.

No doubt you will lose some drive-ability characteristics and/or reliability as you up the HP.

Last edited by jedblanks; 04-01-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 vet
I have looked for a while for my answers, with no luck.
Could you z06 experts point me to a link or answer my questions?
My baby is a 2011 stock Z06.
Is the posted 505 hp accurate?
If I dyno tune my Z, how much hp gain can I expect?
Will I gain any torque...How much?
How much will this change fuel consumption?
You could gain around 40rwhp with a decent tune....
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the comments.
I was sitting on the fence about this.
I was more interested in saving some gas money when taking longer road trips.
I'm leaning hard towards doing nothing...for now.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what i wud do NOTHING u shud still have alot of valuable warranty left!!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 08 vet
Thanks for the comments.
I was sitting on the fence about this.
I was more interested in saving some gas money when taking longer road trips.
I'm leaning hard towards doing nothing...for now.
No need to worry about fuel mileage, I average 27.5@80mph with air on trips
Tim
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Here is an example of a stock LS7 and then with a tune.

To me, it's not worth it.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks JoesC5.
Thats what I wanted to know.
Thanks to you too ipmtim, I am new to the Z06 world and have not had it on any long trips yet...I guess arodynamics plays a bigger role than I may have expected.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
tigertank
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that and very light car!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The impact to warranty aside, do you guys really think a safe tune (something like a canned tune that Diablo offers, whose graph is shown above) would impact the reliability in terms of this valve issue? If it is the geometry that is the real culprit, and if you are leaving the engine internals (like a cam change that could impact the guides) stock as well, would this really have a significant impact?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given what we know about this engine, and what we've heard implied from GM execs, it appears that this engine is at about 95% from the factory and I wouldn't tune this engine at all. I also would not put a CAI on it (for a couple of reasons, messing up tuning being only one).

Therefore IMHO there is no such thing as a safe tune for a stock engine, other than the one that came with it.

If I had work done on it (porting, cam, whatever) I have someone like Katech conservatively tune it -- given their track and dyno experience.

Last edited by Mark2009; 04-01-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ozer
The impact to warranty aside, do you guys really think a safe tune (something like a canned tune that Diablo offers, whose graph is shown above) would impact the reliability in terms of this valve issue? If it is the geometry that is the real culprit, and if you are leaving the engine internals (like a cam change that could impact the guides) stock as well, would this really have a significant impact?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Having seen the results of a canned tune on another member's car, I would not even consider having one done on any vehicle I own.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Having seen the results of a canned tune on another member's car, I would not even consider having one done on any vehicle I own.
What happened to that member's car? And, was it a canned tune from one of the big vendors, or something like a mail-order tune?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

What happened to that member's car? And, was it a canned tune from one of the big vendors, or something like a mail-order tune?
I don't want to get any more specific, or go into any more detail than I have already.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning stock ls7 gains

Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I wouldn't go with a canned or mail order tune, knowing what I do after tweaking my car. There's a lot more to it then timing tables and AFR.

A good tuner along with a load cell dyno can perk this car up a bit. I would not however expect an increase in fuel economy. When you are putting around on the highway, expected good economy, the ecm will be in closed loop. When in closed loop, the fuel trims pull / add fuel to maintain an optimum fuel air ratio of 14.7. It doesn't get better than that. Tuners do not arbitrarily move this set point either, as that takes a fair amount of work. You can move timing a bit, maybe advance it in the lower rpm / cly arm mass cells, but crap, it's already silly advanced from the factory.

What the tuner can do to pick up some power, is to optimise timing in the higher rpm / higher cyl arm cells to improve throttle response and pick up a couple more ponies under WOT conditions. Then there's torque management, power enrichment tables, etc... All these little tweaks will improve performance, as long as the tuner doesn't go nuts.

But as stated, is it really worth loosing your warranty? I wouldn't screw with it and take that risk, in the event you actually need a warranty some day.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Given what we know about this engine, and what we've heard implied from GM execs, it appears that this engine is at about 95% from the factory and I wouldn't tune this engine at all. I also would not put a CAI on it (for a couple of reasons, messing up tuning being only one).

Therefore IMHO there is no such thing as a safe tune for a stock engine, other than the one that came with it.

If I had work done on it (porting, cam, whatever) I have someone like Katech conservatively tune it -- given their track and dyno experience.
Katech doesn't do their own tuning, fyi
Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I wouldn't go with a canned or mail order tune, knowing what I do after tweaking my car. There's a lot more to it then timing tables and AFR.

A good tuner along with a load cell dyno can perk this car up a bit. I would not however expect an increase in fuel economy. When you are putting around on the highway, expected good economy, the ecm will be in closed loop. When in closed loop, the fuel trims pull / add fuel to maintain an optimum fuel air ratio of 14.7. It doesn't get better than that. Tuners do not arbitrarily move this set point either, as that takes a fair amount of work. You can move timing a bit, maybe advance it in the lower rpm / cly arm mass cells, but crap, it's already silly advanced from the factory.

What the tuner can do to pick up some power, is to optimise timing in the higher rpm / higher cyl arm cells to improve throttle response and pick up a couple more ponies under WOT conditions. Then there's torque management, power enrichment tables, etc... All these little tweaks will improve performance, as long as the tuner doesn't go nuts.

But as stated, is it really worth loosing your warranty? I wouldn't screw with it and take that risk, in the event you actually need a warranty some day.
Timing can do wonders for fuel consumption.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tuning stock ls7 gains