Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam causing gas fumes smell when car is idling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As said before, no-cats is your problem. Hi-flow cats are fine for a while, mine burned out in 6-months.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
As said before, no-cats is your problem. Hi-flow cats are fine for a while, mine burned out in 6-months.

Could you please share the details? Type of headers, type of CATs (some vendors supply a mid quality or high quality versions)?

What mods do you have (high lift cam, any boost or other power-adders)?

Type of driving (road racing, street driving, drag racing)?

Any special fuels used? Tune rich or lean?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:02 PM
ZedOhSick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bolted cats on and it completely fixed the fume smell. No noticeable loss in power but a slightly more muffled sound (to be expected. Let's hope my cats last longer than 6 months...I am also curious as to your driving and mods that would cause it to burn out so fast.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedOhSick
I bolted cats on and it completely fixed the fume smell. No noticeable loss in power but a slightly more muffled sound (to be expected. Let's hope my cats last longer than 6 months...I am also curious as to your driving and mods that would cause it to burn out so fast.
I have seen a lot of tune files with cat protection disabled. Bad idea if you have cats.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:45 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Could you please share the details? Type of headers, type of CATs (some vendors supply a mid quality or high quality versions)?

What mods do you have (high lift cam, any boost or other power-adders)?

Type of driving (road racing, street driving, drag racing)?

Any special fuels used? Tune rich or lean?

Thanks!
Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, I think the Hi-flow CATS came from Kooks,Mild Cam, Street and road racing - no drag racing. With headers and slightly bigger cam and hi-flow cats it was putting down 545 RWHP (same RWHP as a stock ZR1 on this dyno). Because I had to pass smog I put in a smog cam from Synergy, put back on the stock exhaust manifolds and stock CATS. Now it puts down 525 RWHP.

No special fuels, forgot what the air/fuel ratio is, but it is not lean or rich. The A/F is pretty much the same across the graph.

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 10-10-2015 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 12:41 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, I think the Hi-flow CATS came from Kooks,Mild Cam, Street and road racing - no drag racing. With headers and slightly bigger cam and hi-flow cats it was putting down 545 RWHP (same RWHP as a stock ZR1 on this dyno). Because I had to pass smog I put in a smog cam from Synergy, put back on the stock exhaust manifolds and stock CATS. Now it puts down 525 RWHP.

No special fuels, forgot what the air/fuel ratio is, but it is not lean or rich. The A/F is pretty much the same across the graph.

Thanks for the feedback, same exhaust on mine, but stock cam - will probably end up right around 500 RWHP. Fingers crossed they will hold up.

I should have asked during the first round - how did you know they went bad? Gas smell, clogged or came apart and landed in the mufflers?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:00 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I ran catless JBA LTs on my G8 GT w/ a "baby" DOD delete cam, it had a gas smell seemed worse in warmer weather, but at idle it would still pass a sniffer test so long as you didn't touch the throttle (even the slightest pressure would fail emissions) - now a legit inspection station would still be able to smell the fumes and if they looked underneath would notice no cats, so you'd still need to "know someone" or slip a $50 to get a sticker.

Only reason I mentioned this is because that car was tuned such that it would pass emissions @ idle, was running a relatively mild cam, but STILL has the gas smell....I imagine not as bad as what you describe, but I don't think there's any way you can completely eliminate it especially running no cats. You're car would smell even with the stock cam and no cats.

Hi-flow cats will tone the smell down but with such a lopey cam I think you're still going to have that odor.

Nature of the "beast" -(no pun intended, but intended)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam causing gas fumes smell when car is idling?