Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam causing gas fumes smell when car is idling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:45 PM
ZedOhSick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam causing gas fumes smell when car is idling?

Hey guys I have a Z06 with the GT19 cam (227/239 duration @ .050 lift - .678/.688 lift with 1.8 rocker 114 CL).

Car smells pretty rich at idle and I am getting tired of it. Running without cats right now and planning to add high flow cats in a couple days. Hopefully that tones the smell down but I heard that even with cats a lot of the smell will make it through. Save swapping the cam, am I SOL?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

That's par for the course with no cats and a cam. Cats will help but I don't know how much
Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

This isn't a "popular" opinion, but I've always thought it was fairly irresponsible to run a street car w/o CATs..

/Soapbox..

That cam looks pretty beefy, and if the car is running in closed-loop (I assume it is), not much you can do (except add those CAT's) - I suppose you could play with injector timing offsets, make sure they are firing on a closed intake valve, but I digress..

And yes, even the CAT's on LT's help, the closer they are to the heads the better.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:27 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Read stuff like this fairly frequent, but then someone will always jump in and say "I run headers, no cats, and the megazilla eco-destroyer camshaft, and I have ZERO gas odor...its all in the tune". I'm guessing its really just the way it is, and some people have a terrible sense of smell. Who knows...
Old 09-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

This can be fixed via injector timing, and actually should be addressed when re-calibrating the ECM after a cam change. It is fixed by changing the "end of injection target" to time the eoi to occur after the exh valve shuts.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
This can be fixed via injector timing, and actually should be addressed when re-calibrating the ECM after a cam change. It is fixed by changing the "end of injection target" to time the eoi to occur after the exh valve shuts.
How much to fly you to Seattle to tune my car?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:59 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Nature of the beast, I rigged a fan to turn on blowing out of the garage when the garage door light is on.

Helps to turn on recirculate as soon as you start car.

It will change depending on loads and mixes of local gas. Some tanks mine reeks sometimes its not so bad. On alcohol free or race gas it smells great.

Probably not to rich may even be lean? Takes some fuel to smooth out a big cam with a lot of overlap, do have wideband?
Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
I like eating at the Herb Farm.... lol...

I do travel through Seattle often, and would be happy to help you. Or, if you have HPTuners, I could walk you through the tables and help you via phone/email too..... But, I'm not a 'tuner', or a 'professional', so you might be better off finding a 'pro tuner' around your area to work with.
The following users liked this post:
TRSCobra (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are getting cats just to get rid of the smell,don't bother.... I'm running ARH headers with cats with torquer 110 and I get all sorts of gas fumes.....In fact I just got it inspected and as the car was idling inside the garage plugged into the computer, the tech looks at me laughing with his eyes just about watering from the fumes and says, good thing we arnt in California......
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (10-02-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 11:26 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

a rich odor is different from a 'no-cats' odor so are you sure it's a no-cats issue or is it actually too rich?? yes, the cats will mask it somewhat but you may still be rich.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:59 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Is it a raw GAS smell or exhaust like no cats or header leak smell?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:34 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Tom Wong Performance in Vancouver would be worth the drive.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:07 AM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinski 1
If you are getting cats just to get rid of the smell,don't bother.... I'm running ARH headers with cats with torquer 110 and I get all sorts of gas fumes.....In fact I just got it inspected and as the car was idling inside the garage plugged into the computer, the tech looks at me laughing with his eyes just about watering from the fumes and says, good thing we arnt in California......
Strange...I went from an off-road arh x-pipe to one with cats. The difference is night and day. Without cats, I would reek of exhaust fumes and my whole house would stink just from parking the car in the garage. The catted x made all the difference and cleaned everything up.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

I have ARH LTs with cats on my car. Prior to adjusting injection timing, my eyes would be streaming tears within seconds. Rich, raw fuel smell that would permeate the house for hours. I can now let the car idle in the garage for several minutes. Doesn’t smell like daisies and sunshine, but much better. Fuel trims are also improved under 2000 rpm.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

I have the Pfadt LT header and catted X pipe setup. The cats are high flow and small but they definitely help with the odor. On cold start they don't mask any of the smell because the cats have to get warm to function. But once the car warms up there is almost no smell. I can actually use the A/C in non re-circulation mode and I don't get fumes in the car. With that cam you won't get rid of all of the smell but it will make it much better. Unless like other said, you are actually running too rich. Which is a problem and cats wont help that. You can actually damage them if so.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:28 PM
ZedOhSick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Sounds like there are definitely different experiences out there. I would describe it more as a no cat smell than a pure raw gas smell. There was a delay in the shipment of my catted xpipe so I probably will not get it on until early next week. I will provide an update after I get it bolted on.

A little smell is alright but I don't want my clothes smelling of gas after a couple laps around the block! If the cats do not help me accomplish this I will see if I can find a good tuner to help me out.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I have the Pfadt LT header and catted X pipe setup. The cats are high flow and small but they definitely help with the odor. On cold start they don't mask any of the smell because the cats have to get warm to function. But once the car warms up there is almost no smell. I can actually use the A/C in non re-circulation mode and I don't get fumes in the car. With that cam you won't get rid of all of the smell but it will make it much better. Unless like other said, you are actually running too rich. Which is a problem and cats wont help that. You can actually damage them if so.
You get the initial hit upon cold start-up, but when the CATs heat up the fumes are closer to stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam causing gas fumes smell when car is idling?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:13 PM
norris_83
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
what he said!
Old 10-03-2015, 12:16 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Tom Wong Performance in Vancouver would be worth the drive.
I'm actually there right now.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedOhSick
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Sounds like there are definitely different experiences out there. I would describe it more as a no cat smell than a pure raw gas smell. There was a delay in the shipment of my catted xpipe so I probably will not get it on until early next week. I will provide an update after I get it bolted on.

A little smell is alright but I don't want my clothes smelling of gas after a couple laps around the block! If the cats do not help me accomplish this I will see if I can find a good tuner to help me out.

Yeah if the smell is that bad you need some tuning. I would raise the idle by 100 RPMs and add 2-3 degrees of timing. Also, check your injector timing, the pulse width could be too long for idle causing extra unburnt fuel.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam causing gas fumes smell when car is idling?