Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GMPP stage 3 cam, will I have piston to valve clearance issues on a stock LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
In consideration of the larger cam, maybe go ahead and swap them with the Ferrea.
I second that recommendation...Ferrea F2042p exhaust valves would be an excellent choice. I would also recommend PSI 1515 springs with Ti retainers (BTR makes them for the 1515 spring) for your build.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:07 PM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Correction, I went back and checked some old emails and I was one year off, the engine was actually bought in late 2007 so I must have the old exhaust valves then.

So the question is even more relevant now.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:24 PM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I second that recommendation...Ferrea F2042p exhaust valves would be an excellent choice. I would also recommend PSI 1515 springs with Ti retainers (BTR makes them for the 1515 spring) for your build.
Thanks for the suggestion, would you please motivate why I should do that? The springs and retainers that is.

Are these the correct retainers:

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/sr0...set-of-16.html

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; 11-10-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Correction, I went back and checked some old emails and I was one year off, the engine was actually bought in late 2007 so I must have the old exhaust valves then.

So the question is even more relevant now.
You have to appreciate that Katech had some level of involvement with the testing and development of the LS7 platform, so keep that in mind.

That said, the consensus is that the exhaust valve manufacturer increased the inner-wall thickness in the later versions, which would naturally increase component durability. Katech's point is, "with properly machined heads, do you NEED the additional wall thickness"? Considering the relatively low cost to swap them out, it does make good sense to do so.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 11-10-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:51 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

I would not run the old style LS7 exhaust valves (the early design).
We cut a bunch of them up a few years ago and they had extreme inconsistencies in wall thickness from one side of the valve to the other.
If you want to run GM sodium exhaust valves go with the late model valves (late 08'+).

EVOVII_SWE:
Responded to your email with parts shipping quote to Sweden.

Last edited by American Heritage; 11-10-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:02 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
You have to appreciate that Katech had some level of involvement with the testing and development of the LS7 platform, so keep that in mind.

That said, the consensus is that the exhaust valve manufacturer increased the inner-wall thickness in the later versions, which would naturally increase component durability. Katech's point is, "with properly machined heads, do you NEED the additional wall thickness"? Considering the relatively low cost to swap them out, it does make good sense to do so.
Originally Posted by American Heritage
I would not run the old style LS7 exhaust valves (the early design).
We cut a bunch of them up a few years ago and they had extreme inconsistencies in wall thickness from one side of the valve to the other.
If you want to run GM sodium exhaust valves go with the late model valves (late 08'+).

EVOVII_SWE:
Responded to your email with parts shipping quote to Sweden.
Thanks, I'll look into the valves
Old 11-11-2016, 01:14 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, would you please motivate why I should do that? The springs and retainers that is.

Are these the correct retainers:

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/sr0...set-of-16.html
Spintron testing has shown PSI beehives to have more control over the valvetrain at higher RPM's in LS7's. The PSI 1511 is a great spring and I run them in my C6Z, but its still on a stock cam. While the 1511's work well with aftermarket cams (Katech uses them in their builds), the 1515 spring was developed for the LS7 with a high lift cam. http://www.briantooleyracing.com/650...e-springs.html

As for the retainers, I would email BTR to ensure you have the proper ones for your application.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:22 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Spintron testing has shown PSI beehives to have more control over the valvetrain at higher RPM's in LS7's. The PSI 1511 is a great spring and I run them in my C6Z, but its still on a stock cam. While the 1511's work well with aftermarket cams (Katech uses them in their builds), the 1515 spring was developed for the LS7 with a high lift cam. http://www.briantooleyracing.com/650...e-springs.html

As for the retainers, I would email BTR to ensure you have the proper ones for your application.
Thank you for the information. I'll look into it
Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 PM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

So, the engine is finally back together again with new valve guides and everything to support the cam

It will be mapped when temperatures starts to rise again after winter, very exited to see the results on the dyno and I hope I can live with the driveability of that cam.

A short clip of one of the first startups, it sure sounds nice to me but it depends on perspective, my girlfriend said "is it broken?"

The following 2 users liked this post by EVOVII_SWE:
2k Cobra (01-10-2017), golfinz (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

So, the engine is finally back together again with new valve guides and everything to support the cam

It will be mapped when temperatures starts to rise again after winter, very exited to see the results on the dyno and I hope I can live with the driveability of that cam.

A short clip of one of the first startups, it sure sounds nice to me but it depends on perspective, my girlfriend said "is it broken?"

https://youtu.be/xacf0iphmWg
It sounds great
The following users liked this post:
EVOVII_SWE (01-11-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] GMPP stage 3 cam, will I have piston to valve clearance issues on a stock LS7?