Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: What looks better
STOCK
22.73%
RESPRAY
9.09%
ORANGE
18.18%
VINYL WRAP
50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

[Z06] Color Change: Paint vs Vinyl Wrap

Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 AM
And1bbaii7
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Color Change: Paint vs Vinyl Wrap

Hi all!

Original owner 2007 z06 w/ roughly 21k miles and typical rock chip blasted quarter panels. The car has sentimental value, so currently I don't foresee ever selling it (just daily driving it during good weather months). Thus, resale to me doesn't really matter per se, although it's always a potential thought when "modding" or doing any paintwork like this.

Unfortunately, paintwork or vinyl are the only options (besides plastidip ) that would make the car 100% perfect. Also, I have a body shop hookup so cost for paint would only be for the paint itself, which is huge.

Curious what people think about these options, as I think I'd be happy with all of them, just having a difficult time deciding...

1. STOCK.
Leave it alone, rock chips and all, and enjoy a mechanically perfect, low mileage z06 with some cosmetic flaws, save some $$$

2. RESPRAY.
Original black for roughly $2k and then clear bra problem areas to protect the paint like we should have done from day 1

3. ORANGE.
HOK Tangelo or Lambo Arancio Atlas Orange. Since I am doing paintwork anyways, might as well do something unique/crazy that I won't get sick of. Have always wanted a car in Tangelo, and this Z seems like a great candidate. $4-6k depending.

4. VINYL WHITE.
Matte pearl white. Keeping the car OEM, all original while being able to cover up all the cosmetic paint flaws, while keeping them from getting worse and changing color at the same time. $2500.

Last edited by And1bbaii7; 11-09-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 AM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

How are you getting the vinyl quote for only $2500? I was quoted $3500 for no jambs, and leaving the roof black (black car as well). Although this quote was only on the phone.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with a wrap on my car. Just in case I get sick of the color its easy enough to go back to black. I did a matte burnt orange.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:01 PM
And1bbaii7
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
How are you getting the vinyl quote for only $2500? I was quoted $3500 for no jambs, and leaving the roof black (black car as well). Although this quote was only on the phone.
Been looking at a few popular shops in NY/CT and got quotes from $1900 - $4500, most around $2500 (without jams).
Old 11-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I did option #3 on a previous vehicle. Never, ever.. EVER... ever.. will I do that again. Painting a car a custom color was a nightmare. It became impossible for me to repair the paint after the body shop changed their line of paint. Also, when they changed their paint, they changed the computer that had my formula (I asked for a printed copy.. never got it).

You get what you pay for with paint work. I had known my friend for more than 5-6 years, and we don't talk anymore largely because of the paint deal going sour. The quality simply was not up to my standards. It was "free" so how much can you bitch, right? Still, saw all of the imperfections every time I got in the car.

The only way I'll color change a car is if I pay full price from a well known, custom (not collision repair!) paint shop. If I'm not happy, the car will sit on their lot until I am.

What is the color of your Vette? If you can get away with wrapping it, do that. If not, just repaint the problem spots the original color.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:13 PM
And1bbaii7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tech
I did option #3 on a previous vehicle. Never, ever.. EVER... ever.. will I do that again. Painting a car a custom color was a nightmare. It became impossible for me to repair the paint after the body shop changed their line of paint. Also, when they changed their paint, they changed the computer that had my formula (I asked for a printed copy.. never got it).

You get what you pay for with paint work. I had known my friend for more than 5-6 years, and we don't talk anymore largely because of the paint deal going sour. The quality simply was not up to my standards. It was "free" so how much can you bitch, right? Still, saw all of the imperfections every time I got in the car.

The only way I'll color change a car is if I pay full price from a well known, custom (not collision repair!) paint shop. If I'm not happy, the car will sit on their lot until I am.

What is the color of your Vette? If you can get away with wrapping it, do that. If not, just repaint the problem spots the original color.
Corvette is black. I planned to keep the roof stock for the "black halo" look, as the real problem areas (rock chips) are limited to the rear fenders by the brake ducts and lesser so on the bottom of doors...
To really be "perfect," those chips need to be resprayed or covered by vinyl. The roof/top portion of paint is totally fine.

And as far as repaint, I know what a PITA custom jobs are. Expensive, get what you pay for. Just need to find a good painter (easier said than done Im well aware).
Old 06-28-2021, 07:57 PM
Briam
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inquiry

Originally Posted by And1bbaii7
Hi all!

Original owner 2007 z06 w/ roughly 21k miles and typical rock chip blasted quarter panels. The car has sentimental value, so currently I don't foresee ever selling it (just daily driving it during good weather months). Thus, resale to me doesn't really matter per se, although it's always a potential thought when "modding" or doing any paintwork like this.

Unfortunately, paintwork or vinyl are the only options (besides plastidip ) that would make the car 100% perfect. Also, I have a body shop hookup so cost for paint would only be for the paint itself, which is huge.

Curious what people think about these options, as I think I'd be happy with all of them, just having a difficult time deciding...

1. STOCK.
Leave it alone, rock chips and all, and enjoy a mechanically perfect, low mileage z06 with some cosmetic flaws, save some $$$

2. RESPRAY.
Original black for roughly $2k and then clear bra problem areas to protect the paint like we should have done from day 1

3. ORANGE.
HOK Tangelo or Lambo Arancio Atlas Orange. Since I am doing paintwork anyways, might as well do something unique/crazy that I won't get sick of. Have always wanted a car in Tangelo, and this Z seems like a great candidate. $4-6k depending.

4. VINYL WHITE.
Matte pearl white. Keeping the car OEM, all original while being able to cover up all the cosmetic paint flaws, while keeping them from getting worse and changing color at the same time. $2500.

hey bud what color is the orange vette in the pic you posted
Old 06-29-2021, 12:29 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 694 Likes on 442 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

too late now, but a good takeaway here is to have some PPF applied to the vulnerable areas. I've been doing that on all my vehicles for a long time (including headlight lenses)
Suggest you do that after you've decided on whatever path...even if that was just to respray the damaged areas.
Oh, and BTW, I notice that sideskirts, besides some slight purported aero functionality, also slightly reduce crap being thrown up

Get notified of new replies

To Color Change: Paint vs Vinyl Wrap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Color Change: Paint vs Vinyl Wrap