Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MSD Atomic Intake Manifold... whats the final verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Hey Tony-
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
(snip)
I dont believe that would be the case....as long as you handle the fueling properly (across the curve and at various loads), the airflow isn't going to change from one tuning software to another. Certainly WOT wont be effected if you read the same A/F ratio from both. I wouldn't be too concerned with that situation.(snip)
The intake manifold volume of the MSD is substantially greather than the stock intake. HPTuners does not support access the manifold volume parameter, whereas EFILive does support it so, with EFILive, you can adjust the cal file to reference the correct volume.

In light of that, do you still feel either editing application will do when doing the cal for an LS7 with an MSD on it?
Old 01-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

What is the significance of intake volume on power potential, idle quality, tuning etc?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:14 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know what aftermarket fuel rails will work with the MSD intake?
It seems to be designed around the OEM rails.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:21 PM
EGOCHKR
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Does anyone know what aftermarket fuel rails will work with the MSD intake?
It seems to be designed around the OEM rails.
Any aftermarket will work but this is I think the only intake to work with stock rails to save you money... I am making 623 rwhp with stock rails...
Old 01-24-2016, 05:24 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I need someone to tell me the rails that have been verified to fit. The manifold has bulges near/in-line with the injectors which would seem to require something like the nipples on the OEM rail.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 01-24-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Hey Tony-The intake manifold volume of the MSD is substantially greather than the stock intake. HPTuners does not support access the manifold volume parameter, whereas EFILive does support it so, with EFILive, you can adjust the cal file to reference the correct volume.

In light of that, do you still feel either editing application will do when doing the cal for an LS7 with an MSD on it?
IMO it wont make a difference in the final results......the air the manifold will allow to pass thru it is all the same (the air doesn't know or care what tuning software is being used obviously).....the end results from that air at various RPM points and its ratio of fuel is easily adjusted through either tuning software. Given the same A/F ratio when the smoke clears and the fact we established its moving the same amount of air, should produce equal power assuming the timing and everything else is held constant.

The larger plenum certainly does effect how well it moves air at various points in the RPM curve but we are already looking at the net results of that with our wideband and adjusting accordingly

-Tony
Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey Tony-The intake manifold volume of the MSD is substantially greather than the stock intake. HPTuners does not support access the manifold volume parameter, whereas EFILive does support it so, with EFILive, you can adjust the cal file to reference the correct volume.

Hi Hib, you have to send you'Re file to Hp tuner and they will add this parameters for you. It's mostly used for tip in /transient fueling.

Seb
Old 01-26-2016, 12:55 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

As mentioned above, it is the transient/tip in fueling that needs to be addressed, when changing intake manifold volumes. Under WOT acceleration, it doesn't matter.

When you crack the throttle open from idle, air quickly rushes in, to fill the manifold plenum that is under high vacuum. The MAF reports this as high air flow, but that air isn't immediately consumed by the engine...it first has to fill the intake that is under vacuum. There is a split second delay, as that volume is filled, before it starts actually filling the cylinders. This can cause a stumble or hesitation, if this delay isn't properly accounted for, with regards to fueling. The same phenomenon happens with the stock intake manifold, but its volume has been properly accounted for.

The reverse also happens. When you slam the throttle shut from WOT, there is a split second that the engine is still consuming air from within the intake manifold, until a vacuum is produced.

This delay is the reason why smaller volume intake manifolds have sharper throttle response.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

^^^^
Which is one compelling reason to properly calibrate VE. And with the gen IV GM ECMs, VE Coificients, which also include transient Coificients. There currently is no good method for calibrating the transient Coificients, so I believe the table Hib is referring to, that EFI LIVE has will help.

I wonder though. ..... Would the larger plenum volume help reduce pressure wave interactions from increased reversion (IE: finite-amplitude waves/Hemholtz resonation)? I think it might.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D
^^^^
Which is one compelling reason to properly calibrate VE. And with the gen IV GM ECMs, VE Coificients, which also include transient Coificients. There currently is no good method for calibrating the transient Coificients, so I believe the table Hib is referring to, that EFI LIVE has will help.

I wonder though. ..... Would the larger plenum volume help reduce pressure wave interactions from increased reversion (IE: finite-amplitude waves/Hemholtz resonation)? I think it might.
Michael, just sent you're .hpt file to hp tuner and ask to them to add this parameter. Both version work, 2.24 and 2.25.

Seb
Old 01-26-2016, 06:03 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Michael, just sent you're .hpt file to hp tuner and ask to them to add this parameter. Both version work, 2.24 and 2.25.
Where is this located (which tab)? I have version 2.241170
Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Seb's English is better than my French, but from his posts I believe he is asking folks to request HPT to add this parameter. Could be wrong - I will do an upgrade tonight, check it out.
The following users liked this post:
Sébast19X (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Originally Posted by JMB
Where is this located (which tab)? I have version 2.241170
Hi sir, you have to send the file of you're car to hp tuner support email and you have to ask to them to add the intake manifold volume parameter.

They will return you the new file within 24hrs with the parameter added .

This is the way I have done it for my own car, and some of those that I have tuned.

Hope this help,

Best regards,

Seb

Last edited by Sébast19X; 04-17-2016 at 04:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sébast19X:
Da Z06 (01-27-2016), Dan_the_C5_Man (02-19-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

you have to send the file of you're car to hp tuner support email
Perfect, thanks Seb!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Seb's English is better than my French, but from his posts I believe he is asking folks to request HPT to add this parameter. Could be wrong - I will do an upgrade tonight, check it out.
Last year, I asked HP Tuners repeatedly to add "intake manifold" volume but I never received a reply to that request nor has it been added in succeeding versions of 2.24 or 2.25.

After waiting a while for HP Tuners to act, I decided to use EFI Live to do the cal. on my LS7.

I have had the correct manifold volume in the cal from the get-go and, thus, have not experienced any anomalies in throttle response.

Admittedly, the EFI Live interface isn't as friendly but in this case–where the aftermarket manifold's volume is so much larger than stock–EFI Live wins.

In HP Tuners' defense, I've noted that HPT supports a greater amount of platforms. For example, I was able to tune 4th Gen F-cars with 3800 V6es using HP Tuners whereas, EFI Live does not support that engine.

Generally, they are both good programs but in specific applications, sometimes EFI Live wins and in others HP Tuners wins.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:13 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Michael_D
^^^^

I don't know about that specifically, but I do know the manifold was developed using a lot of CFD studies which can model airflow the way it really is in the engine, ie: with pulsations and waves typicaly of a plenum being sucked on by intake ports with valves opening and closing.

But even if there is a problem such as "Michael D" suggests, the fact that stock engines stand to gain 20 or so horses and modified engines as much as 40 would tend to make any problem with pressure wave interaction a minor concern at best.
The following users liked this post:
Da Z06 (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't know about that specifically, but I do know the manifold was developed using a lot of CFD studies which can model airflow the way it really is in the engine, ie: with pulsations and waves typicaly of a plenum being sucked on by intake ports with valves opening and closing.

But even if there is a problem such as "Michael D" suggests, the fact that stock engines stand to gain 20 or so horses and modified engines as much as 40 would tend to make any problem with pressure wave interaction a minor concern at best.
Agreed.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Atomic Intake Manifold... whats the final verdict?

Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

No. You misses a key word I used - "reversion". Now think theoretically and wait for the bulb to illuminate, and you'll see that your analogy has no relation to my comments.

And I did not say there was a problem, with respect to this intake. Reversion, however, is a problem.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sébast19X
Hi sir, you have to send the file of you're car to hp tuner support email and you have to ask to them to add the intake manifold volume parameter.

They will return you the new file within 24hrs with the parameter added .

This is the way I have done it for my own car, and some of those that I have tuned.

Hope this help,

Best regards,

Seb
Cool! Thanks bud!

But now that they figured it out, I wonder why it isn't in the current 2.24.xxxxx version?

Hey did you ever get that newer E38 retrofit in your car figured out?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Newer e38 is a simple swap if you know what you are doing.

I'm tempted to try one of these on my blower car. For $1000 that is a LOT less than $2800 on a PMC intake.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MSD Atomic Intake Manifold... whats the final verdict?