Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Watch Builders Hand Craft the LS9 Corvette ZR1 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Watch Builders Hand Craft the LS9 Corvette ZR1 Engine

Here's an up-close-and-personal look at a master-builder hand assembling a Corvette ZR1 engine at the Wixom Performance Build Center in Michigan.

Read the rest on the SITE homepage. >>
The following users liked this post:
LGK-SD (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

Here's an up-close-and-personal look at a master-builder hand assembling a Corvette ZR1 engine at the Wixom Performance Build Center in Michigan.

Read the rest on the SITE homepage. >>
No assembly lube or oil added to bearings, and metal to metal contact surfaces during assembly? Why?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:10 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Mike Priest nameplate. I have one of his engines in my current ZR1.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:11 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
Mike Priest nameplate. I have one of his engines in my current ZR1.
Ditto. Was great seeing him in the video doing his thing...
Old 01-01-2016, 04:42 PM
touyech2883
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's crazy they don't start any bolts by hand, wonder how many threads get stripped out because of that. Doing that is a big no no in the repair business.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:55 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by touyech2883
It's crazy they don't start any bolts by hand, wonder how many threads get stripped out because of that. Doing that is a big no no in the repair business.
Thought the same and certainly seems the wrong thing to do. And the lack of assy lube as the other post stated.
But have you seen that show "How They're Made: Dream Cars". If not, they go into the high end car factories and show cars (including C7's) being built from first steps to completion. The countless robotics and portable automated hand guided set-ups. They must have perfected the stuff critical to starting a bolt (location, initial speed, etc) otherwise I guess we would hear about a lot of problems.
I don't know..just an observation, never built a Vette motor but a bunch of small to mid displacement stuff so I can appreciate what you indicate.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:31 PM
NorthEnco
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Omg omg

Originally Posted by LGK-SD
Thought the same and certainly seems the wrong thing to do. And the lack of assy lube as the other post stated.
But have you seen that show "How They're Made: Dream Cars". If not, they go into the high end car factories and show cars (including C7's) being built from first steps to completion. The countless robotics and portable automated hand guided set-ups. They must have perfected the stuff critical to starting a bolt (location, initial speed, etc) otherwise I guess we would hear about a lot of problems.
I don't know..just an observation, never built a Vette motor but a bunch of small to mid displacement stuff so I can appreciate what you indicate.
He had to pick up that big flywheel BY HAND and put it on !!!!!!!!!

OMG OMG
Old 01-05-2016, 07:49 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

This particular video skips most of the prep where assembly lube is used and if you notice the automatic tool that does the torquing of the bolts does a full turn and a half backwards to start the threads properly before turning to the right to tighten and torque the bolts. You need to do a search for the full build process to see assembly lube being added. Besides ALL of these engines are pressure primed before test firing on propane. You didn't think a $20,000 dollar engine would be put together without proper lubrication did you?

Last edited by GMJim; 01-05-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks, nice video.

Get notified of new replies

To Watch Builders Hand Craft the LS9 Corvette ZR1 Engine

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Watch Builders Hand Craft the LS9 Corvette ZR1 Engine