Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
Reload this Page >

[ZR1] Watch Builders Hand Craft the LS9 Corvette ZR1 Engine

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[ZR1] Watch Builders Hand Craft the LS9 Corvette ZR1 Engine

Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Default Watch Builders Hand Craft the LS9 Corvette ZR1 Engine

Here's an up-close-and-personal look at a master-builder hand assembling a Corvette ZR1 engine at the Wixom Performance Build Center in Michigan.

Read the rest on the SITE homepage. >>
The Following User Says Thank You to Detroit Steel For This Useful Post:
LGK-SD (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Ray 2000 C5 FRC
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel View Post

Here's an up-close-and-personal look at a master-builder hand assembling a Corvette ZR1 engine at the Wixom Performance Build Center in Michigan.

Read the rest on the SITE homepage. >>
No assembly lube or oil added to bearings, and metal to metal contact surfaces during assembly? Why?
Old 12-30-2015, 07:10 PM
ufaj26
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Mike Priest nameplate. I have one of his engines in my current ZR1.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:11 PM
LGK-SD
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ufaj26 View Post
Mike Priest nameplate. I have one of his engines in my current ZR1.
Ditto. Was great seeing him in the video doing his thing...
Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 PM
touyech2883
CF Senior Member

It's crazy they don't start any bolts by hand, wonder how many threads get stripped out because of that. Doing that is a big no no in the repair business.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:55 PM
LGK-SD
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by touyech2883 View Post
It's crazy they don't start any bolts by hand, wonder how many threads get stripped out because of that. Doing that is a big no no in the repair business.
Thought the same and certainly seems the wrong thing to do. And the lack of assy lube as the other post stated.
But have you seen that show "How They're Made: Dream Cars". If not, they go into the high end car factories and show cars (including C7's) being built from first steps to completion. The countless robotics and portable automated hand guided set-ups. They must have perfected the stuff critical to starting a bolt (location, initial speed, etc) otherwise I guess we would hear about a lot of problems.
I don't know..just an observation, never built a Vette motor but a bunch of small to mid displacement stuff so I can appreciate what you indicate.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:31 PM
NorthEnco
CF Senior Member

Default Omg omg

Originally Posted by LGK-SD View Post
Thought the same and certainly seems the wrong thing to do. And the lack of assy lube as the other post stated.
But have you seen that show "How They're Made: Dream Cars". If not, they go into the high end car factories and show cars (including C7's) being built from first steps to completion. The countless robotics and portable automated hand guided set-ups. They must have perfected the stuff critical to starting a bolt (location, initial speed, etc) otherwise I guess we would hear about a lot of problems.
I don't know..just an observation, never built a Vette motor but a bunch of small to mid displacement stuff so I can appreciate what you indicate.
He had to pick up that big flywheel BY HAND and put it on !!!!!!!!!

OMG OMG
Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 PM
GMJim
CF Senior Member

This particular video skips most of the prep where assembly lube is used and if you notice the automatic tool that does the torquing of the bolts does a full turn and a half backwards to start the threads properly before turning to the right to tighten and torque the bolts. You need to do a search for the full build process to see assembly lube being added. Besides ALL of these engines are pressure primed before test firing on propane. You didn't think a $20,000 dollar engine would be put together without proper lubrication did you?

Last edited by GMJim; 01-05-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 AM
froggy47
CF Senior Member

Thanks, nice video.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Watch Builders Hand Craft the LS9 Corvette ZR1 Engine

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: