Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] "Mamofied" MSD Intake (ported, shaved, & modified rail covers!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:46 PM
07427z
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Could you send me a price on that package for my 07 z06.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
Hi Guys,

I’ve recently had the pleasure of working with Tony to get one of his “Mamofied” MSD Intakes and Stealth Fuel Rail Cover setups on my 2006 Z06.
I added an out of the box Nick Williams 102mm TB and had the fine folks at Synergy Motorsports in Livermore, CA do the install and tune.
I picked up the car this morning and just parked it in the garage after a 3 hour drive home. Even without a ton of seat time, all I can say is *WOW*. My super mild mannered, smog cammed Cars & Coffee + Occasional 1/4 Mile romp toy has been given a BIG does of steroids with 0 hits in the drivability department. To say that I’m stoked is an understatement. Now I can only pray for some good weather to try and improve upon my personal best quarter mile performance of 10.70@130mph.

Subject:
2006 Z06 w/22k Miles
Synergy Motorsports Smog Cam & Head Package (drives 95% like stock)
ARH 1 7/8” Catted Long Tube Headers
Halltech MF103
Mantic 9k Clutch
September 2015 Dyno: 524RWHP, 491RWTorque

Added:
Tony Mamo Ported + Shaved MSD Intake Manifold
Nick Williams 102mm Satin Black Throttle Body
Install & Tune by Synergy Motorsports
January 2016 Dyno: 560RWHP, 529RWTorque (+36RWHP, +37RWTorque)

I can only imagine how much bigger the numbers would be with a more aggressive camshaft than my “designed for stock drivability” smog friendly bumpstick!

My thanks to Tony Mamo and Rick & Ryan from Synergy!

And now for the pictures:
Very Impressive, i have been talking to Tony about the MSD and the TFS 260 heads. Are your heads stock unported and stock compression?
Thanks
Tim
Old 01-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Tim, Thanks! I'm running stock heads with WCCH stage 2 porting, no milling and assembled by Synergy.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by olddragger
I see only one problem.
There is not an autograph:-)
Dude artists always sign there work...
Just saying

Ps the tq gain....even down low....just wow
You wouldn't have been the first to tell me that.....LOL

(Look out....the Mamo "signature series" coming soon!)

If I could figure out a way to make it look really professional I would offer it to the guys interested for free

Got a kick out of your post.....thought I would chime in!

Also guys, I tried to hit up all of you that PM'ed me and were looking for PM's.

Dont forget you can also email me (notifications direct to my phone) at tony@mamomotorsports.com

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-21-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:18 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

getting my wife intoxicated this w/e. may order Monday!
Tony have you thought about sliding intake runners within this manifold----just think
an intake like this with variable length intake runners on a flat plane crank engine---hmmm maybe GM should read this forum and maybe think about the engine in the mid engine vette coming out.....
Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by olddragger
getting my wife intoxicated this w/e. may order Monday!
Tony have you thought about sliding intake runners within this manifold----just think
an intake like this with variable length intake runners on a flat plane crank engine---hmmm maybe GM should read this forum and maybe think about the engine in the mid engine vette coming out.....
I could have designed such a better head for the new C7 platform.....that was GM's first major step backwards in LS head development in ten years! I really hope they get their sheet together for the C8 design

A smaller more efficient LS7 style head with direct injection would have destroyed the new "LT1" design (more fail rehashing that old moniker).

Seriously....Im a die hard engine guy....a professional cylinder head and intake manifold designer by trade....trust me when I tell you guys the LS7 engine is the baddest engine GM has produced to date....nothing even comes close. That is why I have decided to invest so much time and effort in my LS7 program. My new head based of the TFS castings are kick azz.....a rocker kit I had specially made for it is about to be released. I had lighter steel valves made that for most applications will run perfect and save my customers alot of added expense....the key is simply the right rockers and the right lifters and a stout pushrod.....they will buzz 7300 all day long with the hollow stem steel valves with rock solid perfect valve control I assure you (the new intake valves I just spec'ed weigh less than a much smaller solid steel exhaust and most everyone with the upgrade heads are running those with zero issue).

This MSD deal is just scratching the surface of what I will be doing with this engine platform moving forward into 2016....and I purchased my 2008' C6Z to showcase all the products I plan to bring to market for this awesome engine platform (all of the stuff previously mentioned and more).

Long live the LS7.....I wont even port an LT1 head and I suspect GM is going to ditch that design for another in the near future....maybe that one will get my attention. If someone from GM is reading this, I would love to bend your ear for 15 minutes or so!!

Regards,
Tony

PS.....I should further qualify what I previously wrote and say Im am a die hard "Chevrolet" engine guy....while I have designed other heads for AFR over the years (SBF, BBF, etc.) and they all ran great and make big power, I have always been a bowtie guy at heart. ALL my hotrods over the last 30 years have been Chevy.....with the exception of my 09' CTSV which is a Cadillac powered by a Chevy engine.....its all GM baby!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-22-2016 at 09:50 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
Kouasupra (01-22-2016), RGT (02-04-2016), SoonerC6 (01-25-2016), Vato's C6Z06 (01-24-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Edited...

Last edited by Kouasupra; 03-26-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
I could have designed such a better head for the new C7 platform.....that was GM's first major step backwards in LS head development in ten years! I really hope they get their sheet together for the C8 design

A smaller more efficient LS7 style head with direct injection would have destroyed the new "LT1" design (more fail rehashing that old moniker).

Seriously....Im a die hard engine guy....a professional cylinder head and intake manifold designer by trade....trust me when I tell you guys the LS7 engine is the baddest engine GM has produced to date....nothing even comes close. That is why I have decided to invest so much time and effort in my LS7 program. My new head based of the TFS castings are kick azz.....a rocker kit I had specially made for it is about to be released. I had lighter steel valves made that for most applications will run perfect and save my customers alot of added expense....the key is simply the right rockers and the right lifters and a stout pushrod.....they will buzz 7300 all day long with the hollow stem steel valves with rock solid perfect valve control I assure you (the new intake valves I just spec'ed weigh less than a much smaller solid steel exhaust and most everyone with the upgrade heads are running those with zero issue).

This MSD deal is just scratching the surface of what I will be doing with this engine platform moving forward into 2016....and I purchased my 2008' C6Z to showcase all the products I plan to bring to market for this awesome engine platform (all of the stuff previously mentioned and more).

Long live the LS7.....I wont even port an LT1 head and I suspect GM is going to ditch that design for another in the near future....maybe that one will get my attention. If someone from GM is reading this, I would love to bend your ear for 15 minutes or so!!

Regards,
Tony

PS.....I should further qualify what I previously wrote and say Im am a die hard "Chevrolet" engine guy....while I have designed other heads for AFR over the years (SBF, BBF, etc.) and they all ran great and make big power, I have always been a bowtie guy at heart. ALL my hotrods over the last 30 years have been Chevy.....with the exception of my 09' CTSV which is a Cadillac powered by a Chevy engine.....its all GM baby!!
It's sad that AFR never got into the FE stuff. I've a 482" side-oiler in my AC Cobra that screams for some better flowing heads. I'm running some CNC'd Ebok stage IIs from Keith Craft and they suck compared to a stock set of LS7 heads.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Undy
It's sad that AFR never got into the FE stuff. I've a 482" side-oiler in my AC Cobra that screams for some better flowing heads. I'm running some CNC'd Ebok stage IIs from Keith Craft and they suck compared to a stock set of LS7 heads.
Apples and oranges although I could have designed a much better flowing piece than the Eddy heads (and to be honest AFR had considered going there). One particular customer local to AFR and a dyed in the wool FE aficionado brought alot of different FE heads in to AFR over the years (in an effort to sway us to move in that direction) which I usually flow tested and looked over....that's why I have a good idea about what could have been done.

BUT....the bottom line is the best FE head on the planet would have only measured up to a fraction of the head even a stock LS7 head represents. Its state of the art (semi) current technology/design versus a design that even proceeds the "old stuff". Its really bad is what I'm trying to say in a nice way....LOL....and even a head I desisigned could have only been "so good" based on the architecture you had to work with if you wanted to sell something still considered a bolt on. As a head designer your hands are tied by having to work within the confines of what constitutes a bolt on style design.....sure the intake would flow better if this head bolt wasn't in the way or we raised the floor a half inch but it wont accept stock intake manifolds any longer etc. etc.

To be honest I dont think its out of the realm of being a future pet project of AFR but knowing what they have on their plate currently its five years away at a minimum if ever at all.

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-22-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 PM
newchevyman
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Tony,

Do you also rework the NW TB, or are those plenty good out of the box?
Tony,

I will be going with your ported MSD come springtime and am also curious about the NW TB. Is it best left alone or is there power to be made by having it 'Mamofied'...? Can't wait to pick this up, will be in touch when I'm ready.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by newchevyman
Tony,

I will be going with your ported MSD come springtime and am also curious about the NW TB. Is it best left alone or is there power to be made by having it 'Mamofied'...? Can't wait to pick this up, will be in touch when I'm ready.
I've cleaned up a few but that TB is soooo good out of the box I usually tell people to save their money.

The OEM TB's.....completely different story.....they beg to be ported and pick up a tremendous amount from the work, but if your going 102....which is the way to go for max gains....an out of the box unit works just fine. I keep them on the shelf btw so if you order the induction from me let me know if you need the TB as well

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-22-2016 at 11:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
Is2scooby (01-22-2016), MTPZ06 (01-23-2016), newchevyman (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My first car in 1966 was a 55 chev sedan with a transplanted 396 ( for get the code) aluminum headed with round exhaust ports, set of Jardine headers, Muncie trans and a 4:11 diff. We had good gas back in the day:-) but it would still burn up a set of plugs in a week lol
I studied air flow, combustion homogeny, and other stuff when I was playing with a zero overlap engine and forced induction that had a decent power band from 4k to 9k rpm. want to guess what it was ?( nope not the flathead ford!).
I to in my amatuer option think the ls7 is under appreciated.
Interested in your thoughts concerning this engines fuel injectors and how balanced it is and the msd plenum air intake position
Hey ... By the way my plan may have worked....lol

Last edited by olddragger; 01-23-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo

Seriously....Im a die hard engine guy....a professional cylinder head and intake manifold designer by trade....trust me when I tell you guys the LS7 engine is the baddest engine GM has produced to date....nothing even comes close.
I've been making simular comments since the day the engine specs on the LS7 were initially released. And that's coming from a guy who's been building engines of all shapes, sizes and power levels for over 30 years.

My only two gripes are the cylinder liners and non-adjustable fixed rockers.

I mean really, 427 cubes in an aluminum small block of this physical size, with a 100,000 mile warranty??? My 420/434 first gen stroker small blocks may last 25K before they need block work. And they can't make the power or spin as high as this engine, no way in hell.....
Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

That is a GREAT looking setup Tony, I need to get a price so I can start saving up!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:48 PM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 01-23-2016, 11:27 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi All,

I've received a number of PM's inquiring about how "mild" my cam really is. I have heard many people say their max effort stick "drives like stock!" so I understand if people take these claims with a grain of salt.

As far as the "smog cam" in my car, with the way that Rick from Synergy tunes it, it's a real darling. It TRULY drives 95% like stock. I can use cruise control at 55mph in 6th gear on the freeway at 1300rpm without surging. I can idle around parking lots with no bucking. The only time I've ever been able to make the car buck is when I try to idle up an inclined driveway (which I did on purpose to see if I could get the car to act up).

The point is, that it's a very mild cam, designed for people that don't want to deal with drivability issues.

I'm sure someone with a rowdier setup than mine will see much more impressive gains from a Mamofied MSD!

As for me, I'm just LOVING the car all over again. The usable freight train SOTP increase is SO much fun!

Here is an idle vid that should show how mellow the Synergy Smog Cam in my car is. Please note that this clip is with stock intake and throttle body, and Corsa mufflers:

Last edited by Is2scooby; 01-23-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:45 AM
Pelan
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish I knew what I would gain over my ported fast. I so want this msd set up. Looks great Tony!

Get notified of new replies

To "Mamofied" MSD Intake (ported, shaved, & modified rail covers!)

Old 01-24-2016, 04:28 AM
1Fast99z
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony, can you pm me on cost please! My car is very radical 13.8 compression on E85, runs 9's on motor. I'm adding the bottle this year and if you can gain that much from porting the msd intake I'll be close to 700 rwhp on motor! I don't care about looks and fitting stock covers, I want et results.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Funkybird
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
Hi All,

I've received a number of PM's inquiring about how "mild" my cam really is. I have heard many people say their max effort stick "drives like stock!" so I understand if people take these claims with a grain of salt.

As far as the "smog cam" in my car, with the way that Rick from Synergy tunes it, it's a real darling. It TRULY drives 95% like stock. I can use cruise control at 55mph in 6th gear on the freeway at 1300rpm without surging. I can idle around parking lots with no bucking. The only time I've ever been able to make the car buck is when I try to idle up an inclined driveway (which I did on purpose to see if I could get the car to act up).

The point is, that it's a very mild cam, designed for people that don't want to deal with drivability issues.

I'm sure someone with a rowdier setup than mine will see much more impressive gains from a Mamofied MSD!

As for me, I'm just LOVING the car all over again. The usable freight train SOTP increase is SO much fun!

Here is an idle vid that should show how mellow the Synergy Smog Cam in my car is. Please note that this clip is with stock intake and throttle body, and Corsa mufflers:
How about posting your cam specs? I've got one of Tony's manifolds on my car but haven't put it on the dyno yet. I've got a decent sized cam.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Pelan
I wish I knew what I would gain over my ported fast. I so want this msd set up. Looks great Tony!
I suspect an additional 15-20 RWHP.....should have some data on this soon from independent sources I have helped recentlty.

Its going to be a significant amount (not single digits).....enough to make the change IMO only based on the stellar results over and above stock.....typically doubling what I have seen from the ported FAST upgrades.

Originally Posted by 1Fast99z
Tony, can you pm me on cost please! My car is very radical 13.8 compression on E85, runs 9's on motor. I'm adding the bottle this year and if you can gain that much from porting the msd intake I'll be close to 700 rwhp on motor! I don't care about looks and fitting stock covers, I want et results.
Will PM you here in a few minutes!

Originally Posted by Funkybird
How about posting your cam specs? I've got one of Tony's manifolds on my car but haven't put it on the dyno yet. I've got a decent sized cam.
I dont think Richard knows exactly how big the cam is.....Rick just calls it his smog legal cam and word is it's in the 220's (intake lobe) on naturally a wide LSA to reduce overlap (better emissions),but Richard isn't being cagey with anyone.....he just doesn't have the info/specs to disclose but its obviously a mild cam.

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-24-2016 at 07:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (02-12-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] "Mamofied" MSD Intake (ported, shaved, & modified rail covers!)