Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] "Mamofied" MSD Intake (ported, shaved, & modified rail covers!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Default "Mamofied" MSD Intake (ported, shaved, & modified rail covers!)

Guys,

First off I should touch on the fact that everyone I am helping with these ported manifolds are super stoked and feeling/seeing significant gains on the dyno and at the track.....SOTP is decidedly stronger as well. Best guess....over a stock LS7, upgrading to my ported MSD and a larger 102 TB (and a tune) is worth on average about 40 RWHP with no other changes (some have seen this and more on chassis and engine dyno). Big gains in RWTQ as well....this assumes you already have a good exhaust which will allow you to see the most gains from the better induction. I have a few guys that have picked up 3 and 4 MPH in trap speed from the swap....unheard of for a single bolt on (that's the same or more than installing headers on this platform and headers make a huge improvement). Hell that's a comparable gain from a decent head swap and that's much more costly and a huge PITA in comparison.

All that said, there was no arguing the MSD was a bit of an ugly duckling in stock trim (some refused in spite of the promise of big gains....LOL) so to end all that I now present my MSD "SS mod" which will really appeal to those who gravitate to a more OEM stock look ("SS" stands for Super Stealthy....LOL). Its something I will offer to the customers having me port their intakes and you don't have to opt for both (if you want I can just shave and modify the intake.....the fuel rail cover mod is a separate operation).

Long story short, this is what I immediately visioned the first time I laid my eyes on the stock MSD intake. While I knew some carefully executed grinding and sanding could get rid of the logos (which I felt would be a dramatic improvement), my secret hope was that I could properly texture coat it to give it more of a stock look and the real wild card was would I be able to potentially modify the red covers to fit the new intake in search of a reeaaallly clean OEM finished look.

Im pleased to say the end results of the project may have even surpassed my expectations a bit (and trust me the bar was set high!), but I must also add I have a retarded amount of time invested from the three months ago I embarked on this mission. Finding the right processes on the intake and the right steps to make the final texture look more OEM than the factory finish of the MSD (which is very smooth), took alot of patience and trial and error with different products/technique. Even the final coat of black drove my crazy for a bit (one paint was too shiny.....another too flat....another didn't play nice with the texture coat beneath it etc.). I sweat the details.....sometimes I hate how OCD I can be.....I literally drive myself crazy

Obviously the clean, OEM finished look is just the icing on the cake to the ridiculous 40-50 HP gains my customers are seeing from all the internal work (porting/reworking the airflow paths and the injector fuel paths are even improved) but it sure is the cherry on top and then some. Here are a bunch of pics I snapped a couple of hours ago burning the midnight plus oil pretty stoked with what I finally arrived at. Even the red cover edges are smooth and flow into the lines of the existing cover shape (I sealed them as well). If I handed you the reworked cover and you didn't know what a stock one looked like you would have no indication it was even modified....it just looks stock which of course was the goal at hand

Name:  20160111_233311.jpg
Views: 6061
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  20160111_233258.jpg
Views: 6299
Size:  134.4 KB

Name:  20160111_234331.jpg
Views: 5360
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  20160112_012635.jpg
Views: 5606
Size:  248.9 KB

Name:  20160112_013252.jpg
Views: 6205
Size:  188.9 KB

Name:  20160112_012906.jpg
Views: 6106
Size:  209.7 KB

In my opinion, the fitted covers and the shaved MSD look better than stock now....and better than the FAST in my opinion also. Its just a much cleaner look than the jagged edges of the OEM red covers with the stock LS7 intake. At the end of the day, the actual MSD intake in and of itself isn't really bad looking once you get used to the different look.....it was just a little over the top in "branding" and the four large logo's were just a bit too much (I'm being kind!). Would love to know what you guys think.

I haven't settled on a final price yet but anyone interested can PM or email me (email preferred) and we can discuss it. Its extremely labor intensive to get it to look this right and it wont be cheap but I will do my best to keep the price reasonable (not charging enough hurts other aspects of business so its a double edge sword). I'm considering keeping a set of new modified covers on the shelf so those not wanting to deal with sending me their stockers can go that route (maybe their covers are damaged or dingy looking etc.).

Should probably thank a bunch of my customers that (unknowingly) helped with the photoshoot....LOL

The 416 shortblock I'm building belongs to Matt Roundtree....the ported LS7 throttle body (actually destined for a CTS-V application), belongs to Jake Patrick, and the ported LS7 TFS castings belong to Reinhold Fink in Austria (they have a long ride coming soon!). The actual ported intake and the modified red rail covers belong to Richard Smith who believed in my vision as well and was the first to get on board! I should mention I stole the valve covers and cover stand offs from my personal C6Z who's acquisition was really the catalyst that got this whole project started (big thanks to my supportive GF!). Regarding my personal project there will be alot more later this year as I take a bone stock 08' Z and document the build from start to finish (with many stops on the chassis dyno I plan to install this year) along the way documenting the gains almost one by one from all the upgrades. You can bet I will be running this exact top half with ported/modified TFS castings and a bunch of other mods to be discussed later!

2016 is shaping up to be an exciting (and exhausting) year!!

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-20-2016 at 09:27 PM.
The following 13 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
CTYANK2 (01-14-2016), Is2scooby (01-12-2016), MarkC (01-12-2016), Millenium Z06 (01-21-2016), Q427 (01-17-2016), REDZED2 (01-13-2016), RGT (02-04-2016), rpmextra (01-13-2016), Sébast19X (01-12-2016), Sharad (04-04-2018), SteveDoten@ARH (01-25-2016), TRSCobra (01-12-2016), XEUROTRASHOWNER (01-23-2016) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 AM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks great!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Ninety-Nine FRC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you pm me a price for the ported intake, TB, and new fitted valve covers? I'd like to keep all my stock stuff. I'm already at 570 on stock intake. 40-50 more still possible?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm a fussy bastard with fit and finish, and just gotta say.....that looks fantastic. Cleanest OE look with aftermarket air path parts I've seen.

The big question I have for you Tony, is if you've done any sort of back to back testing to compare a Fast to the MSD? Both after you have worked them over of course.
The following users liked this post:
Sébast19X (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 09:45 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Beautiful work, Tony.

Last edited by AzDave47; 01-12-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I'm a fussy bastard with fit and finish, and just gotta say.....that looks fantastic. Cleanest OE look with aftermarket air path parts I've seen.

The big question I have for you Tony, is if you've done any sort of back to back testing to compare a Fast to the MSD? Both after you have worked them over of course.
I too am interested in that as I already have a FAST and am wondering if it's worth the $$ to swap it out?

In addition, I have the longer LS2 injectors in mine with the LS2 fuel rails. Can those be re-utilized with the MSD and if so, will it look like crap (fuel rails sticking up above manifold)?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:29 AM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This looks so good and perfect for the stock look I want. I'll reach out once I'm ready to order one.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D

Interested to know this as well

Beautiful look.

Seb
Old 01-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Sharp looking.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:04 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by 08mojo
Looks great!
Very nice!! The ONLY way I would pull a trigger on one of these IMO.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

Counting the days til mine is done!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Love it!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Schred86
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

definitely be getting this come spring
Old 01-12-2016, 03:54 PM
ZO6FL
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Tony,
Looks great!
Could you PM me a price on an exchange set of the covers if that's part of your plan.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks, Tony! It appears to me that you deserve every bit of your impeccable reputation. Can't wait to see your amazing work in person. I'm so glad that I didn't try to fumble through everything on my own. ;-)

Last edited by Is2scooby; 01-12-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:03 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

another congrats--that looks very very nice. Optional black caps for the center bolts?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:22 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

MSD "MAMMOFIED" SS Intake Set (Intake, Throttle Body and Fuel rail Covers)

This looks AWESOME!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To "Mamofied" MSD Intake (ported, shaved, & modified rail covers!)

Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Guys,

First off wanted to thank all of you that chimed in....seems my taste is inline with alot of yours as well. Thanks for the props and all your comments

Let me hit some of the individual questions

Originally Posted by Undy
I too am interested in that as I already have a FAST and am wondering if it's worth the $$ to swap it out?

In addition, I have the longer LS2 injectors in mine with the LS2 fuel rails. Can those be re-utilized with the MSD and if so, will it look like crap (fuel rails sticking up above manifold)?
I can tell you we will have data soon on this but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 15 - 20 HP over a ported FAST....in fact I would be almost shocked if it wasn't (some of this will be based on the exhaust, cam, and overall state of tune the rest of the package is in). I always felt based on the numbers a ported FAST was worth about 20 HP (over a stock LS7 baseline) and I'm pretty confident the current mods I'm performing to the MSD will yield double that. I'm sure in the next couple of months you will get that type of independent feedback....If I have access to the information I will of course share. Regarding the taller injectors and rails it naturally wouldn't look as good as the shorter rail height and injector location but it would work all the same and give you the power gains your looking for. The taller rail height would mess with the angle of the covers also. Functionally what you have will bolt right on to the MSD and run great....just wouldn't be as attractive aesthetically if you were trying to run the OEM red covers.

Originally Posted by ZO6FL
Tony,
Looks great!
Could you PM me a price on an exchange set of the covers if that's part of your plan.

Thanks!
Can't do an exchange for the obvious logistic issues of varied "quality". It would either be a new purchase outright or me reworking your actual covers because I cant send a guy a set of covers with 50,000 miles if he sent me a set of covers with 8000 miles. It wouldn't work well on an exchange basis. Has to be new or me just modifying your own stuff (you would have to UPS them to me).

Originally Posted by olddragger
another congrats--that looks very very nice. Optional black caps for the center bolts?
That's funny cause I actually considered painting them black but liked how they "played" with the OEM stainless rail. I would admit it would look more stock if the top of the manifold was all black including those three pieces of hardware so for those who decide to have me do the work and want that done, I will just include that. I think it would look good either way and that is one of those customer preference type of things!

For the guys that emailed and PM'ed me I should be back to you sometime today

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-12-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I can't wait to get mine.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

Looks great Tony! Mine is still in the box waiting to be installed.

For all members on the fence, if you have not worked with Tony previously, you should be now! The quality and attention to detail that Tony provides is the best there is. I am a long time customer of Tony's and only work with the best, which Tony is.

Joel G

Quick Reply: [Z06] "Mamofied" MSD Intake (ported, shaved, & modified rail covers!)