Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stage 1 mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:02 PM
LeForce
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stage 1 mods

I'm about to replace spun rod bearings on my 06 Z06 so it's a chance for me to fully maintain the car & perhaps mildly mod the car increasing power by around 100HP.
Despite the spun bearing, the crank & rods seem fine, I think I'm going to order Clevite H series main & rod bearings & ARP2000 rod bolts.
As for mods I'm considering the following:
A twin clutch kit, good clamping power yet comfortable enough for DD, the ACT HD kit seems like a reasonable choice.
A camshaft along with valve springs & retainers, something mild as I don't want to lose low end power, I'm totally clueless what aftermarket cam to order.
A intake kit, K&N or SLP Blackwing
A short shifter, B&M
And finally a canned ECM tune, again I'm not sure what to get, I recall that SCT & Diablo Sport both offer a stage 1-2 kind of tunes along with the hand held device. I don't have a tuner anywhere near so it has to be a canned tune.
I'd appreciate your feedback
Old 01-19-2016, 03:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Check on rod bolts as the factory TI rods take a special bolt.
Hell no on ACT clutch. Mantic or RXT
Cam depends on what you want, Pat G, BTR, Tick, Ed C, etc can spec you one.
Not a fan of either of those intakes
Hinson or MGW for shifter
Canned tune won't work with those mods, and you wouldn't want one either way.

Basically change everything you were planning on doing.
The following users liked this post:
LeForce (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:50 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Check on rod bolts as the factory TI rods take a special bolt.
Hell no on ACT clutch. Mantic or RXT
Cam depends on what you want, Pat G, BTR, Tick, Ed C, etc can spec you one.
Not a fan of either of those intakes
Hinson or MGW for shifter
Canned tune won't work with those mods, and you wouldn't want one either way.

Basically change everything you were planning on doing.
1000%

OP, where are you located?
Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 PM
LeForce
Advanced

I'm in the UAE.
Rod bolts, I simply went to the ARP site & entered the car's model & year & got a part number for the bolts.
Can you elaborate further regarding the ACT?
To make my life easy, is there an upgrade package offered by any reputable vendor, something that would include such bolt-ons exhaust, intake kit, cam, & tune?
Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 PM
Funkybird
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeForce
I'm in the UAE.
Rod bolts, I simply went to the ARP site & entered the car's model & year & got a part number for the bolts.
To make my life easy, is there an upgrade package offered by any reputable vendor, something that would include such bolt-ons exhaust, intake kit, cam, & tune?
I've ran the act twin for a couple years now and lots of quarter mile passes and it's worked flawlessly
Old 01-19-2016, 08:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Thats the first good thing I've heard about them. Everyone else seems to have issues.

Check with a vendor that does packages. Fran@RPM, Matt@FSP would be my first two places to contact about a package.
The following users liked this post:
LeForce (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

You're asking for additional (worse) problems by just replacing the rod/main bearings. The rod(s) needs to be inspected/resized, especially with a spun rod brg and new rod bolts. A visual is not enough. The crank needs to be mic'd and cut or just polished. Bearing babbit has traveled throughout the engine, lurking in oil ports and cavities, just waiting to wipe the new build. The block really needs to come out and be disassembled then cleaned, along with its oil galleries. The oil pump also needs to be inspected too. Cheap-seat it now and you'll be sorry later.

Last edited by Undy; 01-19-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:36 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

I'm in the UAE.
We ship to UAE and have even done some remote tuning with a customer in the UAE (no its not as good as a dyno tune but we can get you a safe tune that starts and runs).

Shoot me an email

HP@americanheritageperformance.com

We will get you squared away down to the last bolt. We can supply the entire package if need be.

We sent an engine package for a C6 build to Sweden last week.

Nothing like good ole American Horse Power.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 01-20-2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 AM
LeForce
Advanced

Originally Posted by Funkybird
I've ran the act twin for a couple years now and lots of quarter mile passes and it's worked flawlessly
Do you recall which model# you're using?

Originally Posted by Undy
You're asking for additional (worse) problems by just replacing the rod/main bearings. The rod(s) needs to be inspected/resized, especially with a spun rod brg and new rod bolts. A visual is not enough. The crank needs to be mic'd and cut or just polished. Bearing babbit has traveled throughout the engine, lurking in oil ports and cavities, just waiting to wipe the new build. The block really needs to come out and be disassembled then cleaned, along with its oil galleries. The oil pump also needs to be inspected too. Cheap-seat it now and you'll be sorry later.
Absolutely, I plan to do all of that, but upon the initial inspection both the crank & rod look undamaged! The car is actually low mileage @ 10k only. Do you recommend OEM or Clevite H bearings?

Originally Posted by American Heritage
We ship to UAE and have even done some remote tuning with a customer in the UAE (no its not as good as a dyno tune but we can get you a safe tune that starts and runs).

Shoot me an email

We will get you squared away down to the last bolt. We can supply the entire package if need be.

I'll definitely visit your site & see what you guys have to offer

Last edited by LeForce; 01-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:24 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by American Heritage

Shoot me an email

OP, this is who you need to talk to. Kohle works crazy hours...I think he may be nocturnal, so getting him on the phone should be fine from anywhere in the world.

I'll definitely visit your site & see what you guys have to offer
Definitely get your cylinder head work from Kohle at AHP...dude is an artist and a magician with heads. He can get your heads set up to work with whatever cam you decide...I think he's partial to BTR cams, but can get you custom grinds as well.

He did my car just before I moved to Hawaii...valve guides were out of spec and I went with my stock Ti intakes, Ferrea f2042p hollow stem exhaust valves, MoldStar90 guides (best guide material available IMO), PSI 1511 beehive springs w/ Ti retainers, and stock rockers sent to CHE for their trunion upgrade. No porting or milling for me, but he can certainly set you up right if that's what you want.

As far as shifters; MGW or stock for Vettes...period.
CAI's; Halltech or Callaway are the cream of the crop in and industry full of CAI's.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:45 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

2nd that. American Heritage Performance is the place to contact. You can trust him.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Have you considered an Edelbrock E-Force or a Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger? You can add either one of those, and they come with a canned tune, and pickup 150+HP, and the car will drive normally.

They both fit under the stock hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Stage 1 mods

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stage 1 mods