Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 08 Z06 Nav question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 AM
rufcar
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 08 Z06 Nav question

I have a 08 Cooksey Z06 for 6 years and I have several other cars. That said the Z06 Nav. which BTW was a $1700 option is the worst I have ever used. Yes I am aware of easy to use garmans as I have several of those too. The question is are the newest upgrade CDs from GM any better or are the basically the same. The z's nav only has major roads no County or Township roads at all. I drive a lot for fun as I am retired and I also drive with bound state maps of every road but it would be nice to have a stock system that has some roads on it.
Most Nav system designs are usually 5 yrs old before you get them or so my GM friends once told me. I am guessing the 08 CD was up graded as late as 2012 or 2013 and I was hoping someone can tell me if they are any better. Thanks. Jim
Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Cheaper/easier/better to just go aftermarket. They are SOOOO much better.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 AM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Worst crappiest nav system ever, I've never used mine in the 4 years I've had it. I just use my phone. Waiting for my stock nav to finally take a dump so I can upgrade it to a Kenwood head unit, I like their nav they use Garmin.

-jp
Old 04-20-2016, 01:29 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

The "Updates" from GM are map updates only. Doesn't do anything to operation.

Garmin offers map updates as well as software updates for free for all the units I have. (about 3-4 a year)

I agree with the above comments..
Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

GM's last update was in 2013. I doubt you will see any more. The Nav system itself isn't all that bad (it is a Denso system also used by Toyota and Lexus). I compared it to a Garmin and my cell phone on one trip. They all tended to agree but each of them had quirks that would take you on round about routes when there was a straight road between two points (even though all those roads had been in existence for 30 or more years).

The main problem with GM's and maybe other car manufacturer's is they don't provide complete data for areas. They focus on larger metropolitan areas and the side roads don't always get pulled into the mix. New stuff is very slow to get added and unless somebody takes over releasing updates the system will lose its usefulness over time.

In 2010 I visited a friend in NC and when we got close to his house the system said it didn't have any data for the area. All I had was an arrow in a blank screen. My friend had been living at this location for 10 years at the time. When I purchased the 2013 update a few major roads were added but you still can't find his house with the GM Nav.

Bill
Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM
rufcar
Instructor

Everyone's answer was pretty much what I expected. I was hoping the last update would fix all the problems but as usual I was day dreaming. I love to drive and I have driven over 2.5 million miles mostly for fun over the past 50 years. When we do long trips several thousand miles or more, we drive the 09 Caddie CTS, we also take a map quest, google maps on the cell phone and the old stand by folding maps. I find you must have some general idea where your going because ALL of the systems are sometimes wrong and they have you driving wayyyyy out of the territory to get you where you want to go.
Thanks guys for all your input! jim

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
GM's last update was in 2013. I doubt you will see any more. The Nav system itself isn't all that bad (it is a Denso system also used by Toyota and Lexus). I compared it to a Garmin and my cell phone on one trip. They all tended to agree but each of them had quirks that would take you on round about routes when there was a straight road between two points (even though all those roads had been in existence for 30 or more years).

The main problem with GM's and maybe other car manufacturer's is they don't provide complete data for areas. They focus on larger metropolitan areas and the side roads don't always get pulled into the mix. New stuff is very slow to get added and unless somebody takes over releasing updates the system will lose its usefulness over time.

In 2010 I visited a friend in NC and when we got close to his house the system said it didn't have any data for the area. All I had was an arrow in a blank screen. My friend had been living at this location for 10 years at the time. When I purchased the 2013 update a few major roads were added but you still can't find his house with the GM Nav.

Bill
Old 04-20-2016, 05:12 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I replaced my OEM HU with an Android HU nearly two years ago now. Navigation is terrific, and the ability to run apps like Torque and DashCommand (and Chrome, and Gmail, and Fuelly, and...) makes my '07 feel like a '16. I will never again consider a traditional HU for any of my vehicles!

The following users liked this post:
jp_tt_awd (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 05:18 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
I replaced my OEM HU with an Android HU nearly two years ago now. Navigation is terrific, and the ability to run apps like Torque and DashCommand (and Chrome, and Gmail, and Fuelly, and...) makes my '07 feel like a '16. I will never again consider a traditional HU for any of my vehicles!

I've always been curious about that head unit, I read your thread about it a while back. Quick question, can you turn the color on the buttons from blue to white to match the cars stock button lighting?

-jp
Old 04-20-2016, 05:20 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by jp_tt_awd
Quick question, can you turn the color on the buttons from blue to white to match the cars stock button lighting?
My model can't, but the newer models can.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:44 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok, that's pretty cool
Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 PM
rufcar
Instructor

It appears factory! Nice job. Did you change just the top unit or is it a complete unit as it still has the factory *****. Did you do it your self? What was the total cost installed if I can ask? Tkx jim

QUOTE=jp_tt_awd;1592042270]I've always been curious about that head unit, I read your thread about it a while back. Quick question, can you turn the color on the buttons from blue to white to match the cars stock button lighting?

-jp[/QUOTE]
Old 04-20-2016, 06:30 PM
rufcar
Instructor

I found your site on here and read it all. Very impressive in 67 and I love all of it I just do not know if I want to change out everything in #99 Cooksey as Id have to change it all back if I ever sold it. But it def has my interest. Tkx for that well done link!

Originally Posted by rufcar
It appears factory! Nice job. Did you change just the top unit or is it a complete unit as it still has the factory *****. Did you do it your self? What was the total cost installed if I can ask? Tkx jim

QUOTE=jp_tt_awd;1592042270]I've always been curious about that head unit, I read your thread about it a while back. Quick question, can you turn the color on the buttons from blue to white to match the cars stock button lighting?

-jp
[/QUOTE]
Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by rufcar
It appears factory! Nice job. Did you change just the top unit or is it a complete unit as it still has the factory *****. Did you do it your self? What was the total cost installed if I can ask? I love all of it I just do not know if I want to change out everything in #99 Cooksey as Id have to change it all back if I ever sold it.
I changed only the head unit. Other models are available with slightly larger screens but I prefer ***** and the stock-like appearance of this one. I did the installation myself and discovered later that professional installation would have been quite reasonable. The Android HU, interface, camera and trim totaled $478, but as I sold the stock HU for $414, this upgrade cost me only $64. None of the factory wiring was molested, so reverting to stock is quick and easy (plug and play), but I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that!
The following users liked this post:
rufcar (04-21-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Z06 Nav question

Quick Reply: [Z06] 08 Z06 Nav question