Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Little help on burnout technique and launch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:40 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Little help on burnout technique and launch?

Finally got my hoosier dr2's on and want to get a little practice in before I make an *** of myself at the track. It's a head, cam z on stock clutch for now but it seems pretty strong so far. My burnouts in preparation for a launch are horrible. Any pointers?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 PM
mtomlin1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Be careful

I snapped my half shafts doing that ! 😂
Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

At the track or on the street?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Most beginners don't bring the rpms high enough and fail to dump the clutch quick enough and get right on the brakes.
It takes some practice and trust.

I'd stop the car in the edge of the water box where it's damp and rev the car to around 5000 rpms. Then completely dump the clutch and get on the brakes asap.
Try and keep light pressure on the brakes after the initial hit of the pedal. After the initial hit the rpms will start bogging down so you must keep adding throttle to prevent stalling and or creeping forward. There's a balance to achieve and practice is the only way. Safety always comes first so bail out and hit the brakes and push the clutch in if things start to go wrong.
And make sure traction control is off.
Lastly, you should practice at a drag strip and not care what it looks like. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Last edited by robz; 05-04-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

you spent a lot of money on the car and some mods - now spend a little more and buy Line-Loc..............blows me away why so many need to do the brake method.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Quick question, sorry to threadjack:

Tried doing a burnout in my c6z the other day. Traction control was off. As soon as the wheels started spinning and I got on the brakes the engine loaded up and went back to idle and the DIC flashed "active handling". According to the owners manual, when traction control is off, you have complete control over rear wheel spin. What gives?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

I strongly recommend getting a line-lock installed. Easy, and inexpensive.

Few hints:

Drive around the water box
-The front tires will carry water into the surface which is two folds safety and further hurt your traction.

Back-up into the water box
-Get lined up with the track, back up into the box, and get one revolution of the tire in the box.

Drive out the box
-DO NOT DO A BURN OUT INSIDE THE WATER BOX, drive out, about 3-5 feet and do your burn-out.

The burn-out
-With a line-lock, once outside the water box and with clearance from the track safety team depress your brake pedal and hold, engage "lock" your line-lock switch, release the brake pedal (to free your rear brakes), bring your RPMs up-into 4-5000 RPMs, release the clutch in a fast but controlled movement, dont just drop the clutch -RELEASE THE CLUTCH COMPLETELY, do not ride it- do a 2-3 second burn, unlock the line-lock, and while holding the tire spin, roll forward, easing on the gas, depressing the clutch, come to a halt.

Stage
-Since I assume this is test & tune, do not deep stage. I recommend shallow stating to maximize MPH and ET. For shallow staging roll forward until the top staging light lit's, then slowly roll forward until the 2nd light barely is triggered on. Now you are shallow staged. Up your RPMs to o/a 3500-3800, and aggressively launch the car while controlling your clutch release. Its a fine line of clutch slip and full throttle engagement.

If you dont have a line lock. Then, I recommend "heel-toe" the Gas/Brake pedals, and releasing the clutch. I do not like the drop the clutch, jump on the brake. Its dangerous and borderline reckless. Vehicle will in most cased turn sideways, I seen individuals hit the wall right by the water box doing so as well.

Good luck!!! Keep us posted!

Last edited by Da Z06; 05-04-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

This is one reason I have not taken my car to the track. Scared to death of having a wreck, plus not wanting to make an idiot out of myself. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

way safer to do this on the street and your insurance will cover you if you screw up
Old 05-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Z06
I strongly recommend getting a line-lock installed. Easy, and inexpensive.

Few hints:

Drive around the water box
-The front tires will carry water into the surface which is two folds safety and further hurt your traction.

Back-up into the water box
-Get lined up with the track, back up into the box, and get one revolution of the tire in the box.

Drive out the box
-DO NOT DO A BURN OUT INSIDE.....
(snip)

That THAT comes from someone who knows how to run a car at the drag strip.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 05-04-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

anybody got a link to a line lock I should get and how hard is the install? something I could do myself?
Old 05-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

This one looks high quality.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/RSD-LL-C6.html

You have lots of other options though.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:12 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Da Z06
I do not like the drop the clutch, jump on the brake. Its dangerous and borderline reckless. Vehicle will in most cased turn sideways, I seen individuals hit the wall right by the water box doing so as well.
Wow.
You've seen several people hit the wall doing this method??
And you have confirmed this reckless technique with those individuals was employed?
And vehicles in MOST cases will go sideways??
This stuff makes it so hard to help people.
The following 2 users liked this post by robz:
TRSCobra (05-06-2016), Z2Z (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 02:12 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by njk4o5
way safer to do this on the street and your insurance will cover you if you screw up
And this stuff makes it impossible to help people.
The following users liked this post:
Z2Z (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by robz
Wow.
You've seen several people hit the wall doing this method??
And you have confirmed this reckless technique with those individuals was employed?
And vehicles in MOST cases will go sideways??
This stuff makes it so hard to help people.
robz,

Take it for what is worth brother. There are two ways of doing things.

The easy way and the hard way.

Chit happens, some times you get away with it, and some times you dont.

When you dump the clutch at XXXX RPMs, and suddenly jump on the brakes, the vehicle will unload the rear of the car, take him off track on a front-rear relationship, in some cases, way off.

The line-lock is not a "must-have", I just do not recommend the drop clutch-slam on brakes method. I must rather heel-toe brake/gas, since it allows for much more control when the line-lock is not available.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

The hard way sounds like installing a line lock, TBH. Jabbing the brake is a pretty common thing for people who don't track their car regularly.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:49 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

I just want to add:
It will take practice. Ideally you should have a line lock installed in a place that is comfortable for you to engage.
If you are an absolute beginner it's best to bring a friend with experience who can talk you through the burnout. It should not be dangerous if you're calm. The track is the best place to learn. A track rental day is ideal. Forget what the spectators think. If you feel uncomfortable then stop the car, park it, and talk it through with someone who has experience with teaching beginners. A little anxiety is normal, but if your heart is pounding and you're sweating profusely, then you need to take a minute and relax.

If you have dry tires and/or completely dry pavement underneath them it will be harder to break traction and the car will want to grip MORE and move MORE.
If you do not dump the clutch, with or without a linelock, the car will want to move MORE and or bog the motor down quicker.
Maintaining rpm is the key to doing a proper burnout.

Get notified of new replies

To Little help on burnout technique and launch?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:52 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Tons of help in this thread and a lot to think about. I guess I should go to an empty lot with a jug of water and do a little practicing.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:24 PM
mtomlin1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's one of mine

Just drop the clutch dab the brake hold it and then release be sure to not let it get out of

Old 05-04-2016, 05:03 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

^^^that is awesome!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Little help on burnout technique and launch?