Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 lower control arms

Old 07-10-2016, 05:19 PM
brooklands
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ZR1 lower control arms

Hi

Because of a ZR1 Brake upgrade to my Z06, I also want to add the ZR1 brake deflectors which are mounted on the lower control arms. Does anyone have the partnumbers of the ZR1 lower control arms which have the mounting points for these brake deflectors?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:29 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklands
Hi

Because of a ZR1 Brake upgrade to my Z06, I also want to add the ZR1 brake deflectors which are mounted on the lower control arms. Does anyone have the partnumbers of the ZR1 lower control arms which have the mounting points for these brake deflectors?
(1) Lower Control arm left 20799885 core $50 PN 20799885
(1) Lower Control arm right 20799886 core $50 PN 20799886
Old 07-11-2016, 02:50 AM
brooklands
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you very much

In GMpartsdirect I just found these numbers: 20799881 and 20799882 what is the difference between these two and the ones you have given me?

Last edited by brooklands; 07-11-2016 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:28 AM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklands
Thank you very much

In GMpartsdirect I just found these numbers: 20799881 and 20799882 what is the difference between these two and the ones you have given me?
The online sites tend to use the same catalog which is less detailed than dealers. The numbers are for my VIN a 2011 ZR. Suggest you ask a dealer, maybe there was an update?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:02 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

are all C6 LCA's cast for mounting screws on these parts?

Didn't realize it was ZR only
Old 02-17-2018, 05:51 AM
s6ncampos
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZR1 control arms

Hi Brookland,

I did the same conversion of the ZR1 brakes onto my c6 Z06, however, I am having a difficult time figuring out why the rear rotors do not have much clearance of the lower control arm. I read something one a post that discussed having to replace the rear A-Arms/ lower control arms so that they clears the rotor, with adequate distance. I also noticed that they have a different GM part number, but I cannot tell whatbthe difference is online. Is that why you replaced your control arms to clear the carbon ceramic brakes with a safer distance? The fronts fit fine without any issues. Please help. Thanks.

Last edited by s6ncampos; 02-17-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-22-2018, 04:08 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by s6ncampos
Hi Brookland,

I did the same conversion of the ZR1 brakes onto my c6 Z06, however, I am having a difficult time figuring out why the rear rotors do not have much clearance of the lower control arm. I read something one a post that discussed having to replace the rear A-Arms/ lower control arms so that they clears the rotor, with adequate distance. I also noticed that they have a different GM part number, but I cannot tell whatbthe difference is online. Is that why you replaced your control arms to clear the carbon ceramic brakes with a safer distance? The fronts fit fine without any issues. Please help. Thanks.
You should not have to change control arms or anything else to install ZR1/Z07 brakes on a C6Z.

With that being said, Brembo recently made a change to the rear rotors and there is a difference in the back of the rotor. The new rotors do not have a recessed "ring" just inboard of where the hat mounts. We've found the new design rotors will contact the park brake backing plate and will require the backing plate to be machined so there is no interference.

Here are a couple of pics to illustrate what I'm talking about. The first pic shows the recessed portion of the rotor that allows the park brake backing plate to clear.

The second pic shows the new design that is missing the recessed portion and causes interference with the park brake backing plate.

Last edited by RichieRichZ06; 02-22-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:56 PM
s6ncampos
3rd Gear

Default Thanks for the reply

Awesome, thanks for the information. I did have contact with the backing plates, which prompted the dealership to advise me to get the ZR1 specific backing plates. I ordered the left side, but was unable to obtain the right side because it is on national back order. I’ve been looking everywhere for that the part. The part numbers are :
Left GM part # 19209540 is available.
Right #19209541 is not available with no anticipated date that it will be available.

I have driven with the entire ZR1 brake package installed now for a couple days and I can hear it rubbing. I hear it not just in the rear, but as I take turns, I can hear the fronts rub on something. I’m unable to locate what is rubbing in the front, but I’m assuming it is the rotor on something. You have any ideas on why the fronts might run when turning?

Oh by the way, I did not change out my hubs, which I read some folks recommend. There was just so much inaccurate information out there that I did not know what to believe so I decided to find out myself, the expensive way. Lol

Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I wouldn't drive the car to avoid damages to the rotors. If it was my car, I would do what RichieRichZ06 said, machine the portion of the backing plate to clear the rotor with enough clearance to make sure it wont reach in tight cornering or take a turn at high speed. I am not sure if the rotors can go out of balance if the back plate make its way in the rotors
Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by s6ncampos
[left]Awesome, thanks for the information. I did have contact with the backing plates, which prompted the dealership to advise me to get the ZR1 specific backing plates. I ordered the left side, but was unable to obtain the right side because it is on national back order. I’ve been looking everywhere for that the part. The part numbers are :
Left GM part # 19209540 is available.
Right #19209541 is not available with no anticipated date that it will be available.

I have driven with the entire ZR1 brake package installed now for a couple days and I can hear it rubbing. I hear it not just in the rear, but as I take turns, I can hear the fronts rub on something. I’m unable to locate what is rubbing in the front, but I’m assuming it is the rotor on something. You have any ideas on why the fronts might run when turning?

Oh by the way, I did not change out my hubs, which I read some folks recommend. There was just so much inaccurate information out there that I did not know what to believe so I decided to find out myself, the expensive way. Lol
We tried "ZR1 specific" park brake plates and there was no difference so we've machined down the last couple sets. I am surprised more people have not ran into this yet because we've seen it on 3 separate cars (2009 ZR1, 2011 Z07 and a 2006 Z06 with CCB).

I can't imagine what the fronts are contacting unless you have spindle ducts or something that are off setting the rotor in the caliper.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 PM
s6ncampos
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
We tried "ZR1 specific" park brake plates and there was no difference so we've machined down the last couple sets. I am surprised more people have not ran into this yet because we've seen it on 3 separate cars (2009 ZR1, 2011 Z07 and a 2006 Z06 with CCB).

I can't imagine what the fronts are contacting unless you have spindle ducts or something that are off setting the rotor in the caliper.
I don’t believe that I have spindle ducts. It’s otherwise a stock 2007 Z06. I will do a little more research regarding the fronts rubbing. I will also have the rear backing plates machined down. Thank you guys for the input. I’ll keep you guys updated regarding these issues. Hopefully, this will save someone else a little bit of time and headache if they decide to upgrade their brakes as well.

PS I’m pitting my old Z06 brakes onto my ‘98 C5. I’ve already installed my old rims and tire combo onto it with good results.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 lower control arms

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 lower control arms