Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

2006 Z06 P0301 Code & Engine Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 02:05 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Default 2006 Z06 P0301 Code & Engine Misfire

Stock C6-Z06, Owned Since New, 13,000 miles. Heads Not Reworked.

CEL and engine misfire started during a hard 3rd and 4th gear run.
No unusual mechanical noises.

Pulled Codes
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected.
Pulled all the plugs on drivers side 1,3,5,7 all super clean and dry of fuel and oil.
Checked plug gaps all at a tight .040.
Put borescope into each of the drivers side cylinders, did not see anything unusual except for carbon buildup on piston tops on all 4 (see pics)
Ran compression test on all 4 drivers side cylinders 1=215, 3=206, 5=206, 7=206.
Have not pulled the valve cover, was thinking that if there were valve issues causing misfire, I'd be getting low compression.
I think the next thing I'm going to do is swap out the coil on the #1 cylinder.

Your thoughts: Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Last edited by GlennSullivan; 12-27-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 02:46 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

Sounds like the mechanical parts are OK, so I would suspect either ignition or fuel. Is the misfiring bad enough to cause rough idle? If so, you could back probe the #1 ignition coil primary with an LED test light to see if ignition signal is consistent or not. Then do the same with the fuel injector.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:33 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

I've never done that before, I have a spare new coil and an inline spark tester. Can I accomplish the same thing by installing the spare coil and spark tester and confirm spark? If not, can you point me to an article or post on how to do the back probe?

Last edited by GlennSullivan; 12-27-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:03 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
I've never done that before, I have a spare new coil and an inline park tester. Can I accomplish the same thing by installing the spare coil and spark tester and confirm spark? If not can you point me to an article or post on how to do the back probe?
You could use your spark tester on #1 cylinder now before swapping in your spare coil. If you get a spark, and it is consistent at idle, then that would indicate the #1 coil is good and the signal coming into the coil is also good, so there would be no need to swap in your spare coil. Only swap the spare coil if the spark tester shows that the current coil doesn't produce a good, consistent spark.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:24 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Makes Sense. If there is weak or no spark on #1 coil / plug, then I'm swapping the coil and possibly plug wire if needed. If spark is good on #1 with the original coil/ wire/ plug, then that would point me to the injector or injector firing.

When looking at the plugs, they are super clean and identical on 1,3,5,7, which would kind of point me toward the injector, if it was ignition, then the #1 plug would be wet or dirty getting fuel and not firing.

Going to follow the ignition first test tomorrow and update.

The following users liked this post:
ClothSeats (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 07:42 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Camaro tuner in Tampa

Rarely is it the coil pack. Most of the time its the spark plug wire, then the spark plug.
The weather up north have been pretty cold, so hopefully it didnt cause an issue with the valve spring.
The following users liked this post:
C5 Diag (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 09:13 PM
Bob570
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Spark plug wires.

Same thing happened to me 2 months ago after a pull 1st-4th gears. I replaced the spark plug wires and cleared the code, problem solved.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:22 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
I've never done that before, I have a spare new coil and an inline spark tester. Can I accomplish the same thing by installing the spare coil and spark tester and confirm spark? If not, can you point me to an article or post on how to do the back probe?
I’ve done a video on a coil pack functional check concentrating on the signal wire which I linked below…all these 4 wire coil packs operate the same way…I misspoke in the video saying you’ll see a 0-5 volt square wave with a scope…it is a 0-4 volt square wave…you may have a good spark at idle but under load when the cylinder pressures are higher the spark may break down..coil packs on these LS platforms are pretty robust but changing it is your choice…you can pull off a valve cover and check the #1 cylinder valve springs…you can also look at your long term fuel trims…an injector misfire will have elevated long terms around 15% or so…if you have a fuel pressure gauge and an injector tester you can do an injector balance test or just swap the injector with a known good…without some specialized diagnostic equipment the best you can do is “swaptronics” !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 12-27-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 Z06 P0301 Code & Engine Misfire

Quick Reply: 2006 Z06 P0301 Code & Engine Misfire