Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another Mamofied build in the works

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:19 PM
RobGOV-DCZ
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Z06
What RPM is that? Looks like valve float/instability on top.
ouch... sounds like another Mamo special
Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Pelan
I want one more vette after this one tho I gotta decide between a c7z with headers, e85, pulley tune nothing extreme just a cruiser or go for a turbo c6 with a glide making 1000+ hp. I saw 3 one here in the last few months that I wanted. Time will tell.
Haha, this is funny. I am thinking the exact same thing for what is next to sit beside my C6Z. Except a C7Z with a Halltech, ported TB, and X-pipe to not void warranty. Word is, Kong is working on a program to port the LT4 blower and the C7Z not need a tune. On the C6 Base side, I would run a stick first. A ton of guys here in the Carolina's have stick Vettes. I am looking more at the C7Z option due to warranty and I am not big on wanting to do another build.

Also, that graph kind of looks like JayyyW's valve float graph (the float part). Da Z06 may be right on valve float, I am not the expert though.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Z06
What RPM is that? Looks like valve float/instability on top.
Looks more like my dyno curves on SAE smoothing 0. It goes away using SAE Smoothing 5 graphing the same raw data. The sky is not falling on every dyno run.
The following users liked this post:
Pelan (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 10:12 PM
Pelan
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

It's a topic that comes up with every mamo build but my tuner says it's not valve float he's been tuning 30 years. I'll take his word on it. Can it be? I guess but I'm not going change anything on it.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Pelan
Pro

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Looks more like my dyno curves on SAE smoothing 0. It goes away using SAE Smoothing 5 graphing the same raw data. The sky is not falling on every dyno run.
I agree.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Its not a Dynojet.
VT does not want to rev.
OP, what was the RPM? Why not post the RPM?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:53 PM
Pelan
Pro

I dont have the rpm.what you see is what I have. Tuner sent it from is phone. Baseing it off my last graph ill say 6800
Da Z06 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:03 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

The interesting thing is that Jayyyw's dyno did not look like valve float to my eyes, but I was wrong. Clint, I'm glad you got your car back and that she's runnin' hard. Nice gains down low!
Pelan (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Pelan
Pro

Originally Posted by Josh B.
The interesting thing is that Jayyyw's dyno did not look like valve float to my eyes, but I was wrong. Clint, I'm glad you got your car back and that she's runnin' hard. Nice gains down low!

thanks. Yeah I followed your valve float post on fb it was a pretty good one pretty heated at times. I'm going to leave this as it is maybe change out the valve train In the future. I would have liked to go your route but honestly I want 2nd vette pretty bad. I'll do more homework on the next one.
Josh B. (07-13-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 05:10 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

It's a topic that comes up with every mamo build but my tuner says it's not valve float he's been tuning 30 years. I'll take his word on it. Can it be? I guess but I'm not going change anything on it.
I should be so lucky that all my record setting builds also include valve float.

I actually have to laugh at that because it implies more opportunity (by opportunity I mean more power) is there to be unlocked if you were to eliminate that issue (creating an even larger gap in performance between my builds and others).

No the recent rash of "valvefloat" is just another fantastic example of the spread of bad information on the Net....some of that for reasons not just related to not knowing any better unfortunately

Clint.....in your case this is dyno related and as AZ Dave mentioned likely attributed to smoothing set low or even to zero. Your curve has erratic behaivior exhibited at almost every RPM.....and up top its always going to be amplified with more power cycles per second, especially with little or no smoothing applied to the dyno. Listen to your tuner....its his dyno....I'm sure he knows it better than anyone. I have also seen some of this from dyno's that use an inductive pick up for the tach/RPM signal and you can get a slightly erratic looking curve from the occasional dropped RPM data as well.

Valvefloat and even valvetrain instability will almost always cost you power.....and the shape of the curve would never be as smooth as yours.

Here is a better example of what real valve control issues look like

I have no affiliation to this build....just grabbed this off the Internet for example purposes

In the last few months there were three of my builds that had issues that looked like it might have been valve control related and ALL of it was related to customer installed faulty hardware or bad installs. In fact a motor I built from scratch that I dyno tested on an engine dyno first (a 454 HR build with a moderate cam profile that made 767 HP on Westech's legit engine dyno) was installed in a customer's car local to me and he took it to dyno shop a couple of hours south of here and they experienced issues that looked like it could have been valve control related. The shop basically did nothing to try and trouble shoot the issue in spite of my customer telling him we dyno'ed it only a month prior with zero issues on the engine dyno. Turns out his remote coil install was flawed and the ignition wires were shorting to the firewall instead of firing the plugs. Once it was straightened out this build went on to make 665 RWHP in an FBody with slicks and a 35 spline Ford 9" rear and a manual transmission with my lightweight "Holy Grail" modified BC2 clutch. The 2nd dyno shop was Superior Automotive down in LA, another local dyno shop who properly diagnosed the ignition wire issue and massaged the tune, ultimately laying down big power at the wheels with a good looking power curve. Another great result from my MMS 265 LS7 heads

In fact here is the power curve from the engine at Westech....absolute perfection and this uses ALL the same parts that my customers are running. Same heads....same valves, same springs, same rocker arms, same lifters, my ported MSD etc. etc. etc.. Its just a larger cube version of the typical package I have successfully helped alot of customers with in a very detailed 454 shortblock I built from scratch pictured below in my shop

I hope some of you have found this information useful....

-Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-14-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:06 AM
Pelan
Pro

Tony im not going to lose any sleep over it. If my tuner was concerned it was valve float he said he would have not let it leave his shop. I have good faith in my tuner. Ill say one thing the car is running flawless now and performing exactly how I want it to. I'm going to finally enjoy this car for once instead of chasing a dyno number. As I've said before 590 rwhp on a mustang dyno with a 6l80e is no joke this car definitely moves out. Is it the fastest car out there? No, but it does what I want it to.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:24 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Tony im not going to lose any sleep over it. If my tuner was concerned it was valve float he said he would have not let it leave his shop. I have good faith in my tuner. Ill say one thing the car is running flawless now and performing exactly how I want it to. I'm going to finally enjoy this car for once instead of chasing a dyno number. As I've said before 590 rwhp on a mustang dyno with a 6l80e is no joke this car definitely moves out. Is it the fastest car out there? No, but it does what I want it to.
The point Im really trying to make (and better explain) is that there is absolutely nothing for you to lose sleep over (at least related to your valve control....LOL)

Its been a bit frustrating lately to even read some of the stuff I see posted here on the Vette forum lately but at the end of the day my products, my customer service, and more importantly the results from my products stand on their own merit and more solid results will continue to pour in.

Btw, you really need to get that car to the track at some point.....I mean you went to all the trouble of the auto swap......the best thing about that situation is how well it will be able to out sixty foot a manual car and really lay down a sexy low ET.

Im pretty sure your converter is in the 4K plus range.....I bet that car can get into the 1.30's no problem.....you almost have to make a deal with the devil to get there in a manual transmission Vette.....at the very least it's muuuuuch more challenging to even get close to that number.

Anyway.....your exactly right.....enjoy the car....no matter how fast it is there is always something faster.

Funny story related to that. I helped a customer recently with a modded ZR1 (6th Gen).....car makes over 900 RWHP and naturally it's very quick. He raced a GTR recently and was beat so badly he literally cant sleep at night and wants to throw it all away and go twin turbo now......LOL

Comes to find out that car is 1300+ at the ground and beating him has now become his new goal.....40K later he might but you get the point Im trying to make

Enjoy it and before you decide to go in a different direction get a few track outings under your belt.....it will be a good time I assure you

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-14-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Pelan (07-14-2018)
Old 08-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Pelan
Pro

I will be sending my heads off this winter to have heads inspected. The yella terra junk will for sure be replaced I dont recommend yella terra to anyone. For the money I spent on these heads you would think they would have more testing.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:50 AM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

What changed from last year, when you said the engine was running flawlessly?

What would you consider replacing the YT's with?
Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Pelan
Pro

Old 08-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Pelan
Pro

This is the 3rd yes THIRD confirmed case of the yella terras being a issue. My car is running flawlessly right now but last time on the dyno I made less power and it kinda reminds me of Josh's issues. One way to find out is replace them with something better like crowers ss. Borowski engines replaced some yella terra on a mamo package about 6 months ago and picked up over 20 rwhp which is significant.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:00 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

DAMMIT CLINT!!! You gotta let me know before screen shotting **** with my name on it

Get notified of new replies

To Another Mamofied build in the works

Old 08-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Pelan
Pro

Originally Posted by mykream
DAMMIT CLINT!!! You gotta let me know before screen shotting **** with my name on it

Small world lol
mykream (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:05 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Lol you have to imagine my surprise as I am just casually scrolling through the post and then see my name haha
Old 08-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Pelan
Pro

Originally Posted by mykream
Lol you have to imagine my surprise as I am just casually scrolling through the post and then see my name haha

Great comments tho lol

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another Mamofied build in the works