Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil Starvation Question: 06 w/ Baffle, Stock Sump

Old 11-02-2016, 02:36 PM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Oil Starvation Question: 06 w/ Baffle, Stock Sump

Hey everyone,

I'm about to store my 2006 C6Z for the winter here in Toronto and plan to run it at Mosport GP track in the spring, with BMWCCA (just HPDE schools, nothing competitive). Doing my pre-storage oil change soon and am faced with an issue I'd like your feedback on.

To help insure against oil starvation, I purchased the aviaid oil baffle. I know most guys pair this with the LPE 9qt tank, but I am wondering if I should be fine running Mosport with the baffle in the stock 8qt tank (running on PSS tires, no R comps). The track does have a left hander that is downhill and slightly off camber, and will last 4+ seconds.

My reason for trying to avoid the big tank is because the car already takes a long time to get up to operating temp on the street (also have 160* tstat) so I feel that the big tank would add to this. Also want to add that I only plan on doing 3 HPDE weekends per year, so another reason why I'm hesitant to make changes that may only benefit that small amount of driving time.

And the FX rate from CAD/USD is bad so I'd rather put those funds elsewhere, but only if you agree that I should be pretty safe without it.

So in short, does anyone have experience running the 8qt tank with just the baffle on the track? Do you think I should be okay in doing so, or strongly recommend I pony up for the big tank as well?

Thanks
Anthony

Last edited by anth115; 11-02-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I wouldn't risk it. The downsides suck, but that is trade offs for racing/tracking the car. A good track car isn't a good street car. Maybe just take it easy through the left hand turns if you really want to risk it.
The following users liked this post:
anth115 (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 05:23 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

put the stock degree tstat back in it and that will help get the temps up quicker
Old 11-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
put the stock degree tstat back in it and that will help get the temps up quicker

It doesn't do any good on the track as coolant temps go higher than the stock thermostat opening point anyways. I used to see around 230 degree coolant temps on the track in hot weather with a stock thermostat. No sense setting a floor on the temp if the temp always runs well above the floor.

The early C6Zs had an oil to air cooler in the front of the car. In cooler temps it became hard to get the oil up to temperature. The 09 and newer cars had an oil to coolant cooler and it kept the oil warmer but I don't know if it cooled as well as the earlier cooler.

Bill
Old 11-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

What is a pre storage oil change?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:21 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

It doesn't do any good on the track as coolant temps go higher than the stock thermostat opening point anyways. I used to see around 230 degree coolant temps on the track in hot weather with a stock thermostat. No sense setting a floor on the temp if the temp always runs well above the floor.

The early C6Zs had an oil to air cooler in the front of the car. In cooler temps it became hard to get the oil up to temperature. The 09 and newer cars had an oil to coolant cooler and it kept the oil warmer but I don't know if it cooled as well as the earlier cooler.

Bill
Bill, as was pointed out in the past week, the 2011's have the ZR1 oil/water cooler. The 09's (mine) and 10's had the old style air/oil cooler that overcooled on the street and under cooled on the track.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:30 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

OP, your best bet is to get the tank enlarged to ~10Qts or more> I think lingenfelter and LG motorsports and others may have that or you may be able to pick one up over this winter on the C6 parts wanted/for sale part of the Corvette forum.

On the overcooling on the street, since you will be doing only 2-3 HPDE's a year, others have put a cover over the oil cooler and that helps get the oil warm.

Turn 2 at Mosport would definitely put your engine at risk with the small dry sump tank, and you really don't want to pedal easy through the signature turn on the track. When I ran my Supra TT in time trials there I cut so hard at the bottom of T2 2nd apex that I put rubber down, and got my first ever FTD. Back then it was considered the most dangerous corner in North America, that was before they paved all the area outside the corner. Mosport is such a great track that you don't want to have to back off on parts of a lap for the car to survive. If you have to back off after 4-5 hard laps that is different, at least you had a good go at experiencing what it is like to go after it hard at a demanding track.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Nater02
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the same situation as the op. 06 needing to upgrade oil capacity. I visited lingenfelter's website and couldn't find the link for the upgraded tank. Not sure if they offer it anymore. Also have the issue with oil cooling. Thinking about trying to add a tstat but open to other easier options
Old 11-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

ARE offers a pan that would address a lot of the issues where the stock pan fails. it just isnt cheap.

opinions on this vs aviaid pan insert?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:04 PM
anth115
Racer

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

@Nater, they still sell it but the URL has changed. Click through the menus for parts by vehicle and you'll see it.

Good call on covering the cooler for street use - I hadn't thought of that and it sounds like a great solution, especially for spring/fall up here in Canada.

I agree that the pan insert is a great mod, but for the cost/labour involved (I wouldn't DIY that while I will DIY the other mods), I favour the LPE tank and tank baffle insert.

Currently I'm leaning towards getting the LPE tank, just waiting to hear back from them about if they'll sell me the whole tank and deduct the core charge afterwards. Having to send in my core and wait for the new tank means a lot more downtime.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

On their site they list a refundable core charge if they ship the unit to you first then you shio yours back.

I am in the same boat as you right now.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Nater02
Instructor

Originally Posted by anth115
Hey guys, thanks for the input.

@Nater, they still sell it but the URL has changed. Click through the menus for parts by vehicle and you'll see it.

Good call on covering the cooler for street use - I hadn't thought of that and it sounds like a great solution, especially for spring/fall up here in Canada.

I agree that the pan insert is a great mod, but for the cost/labour involved (I wouldn't DIY that while I will DIY the other mods), I favour the LPE tank and tank baffle insert.

Currently I'm leaning towards getting the LPE tank, just waiting to hear back from them about if they'll sell me the whole tank and deduct the core charge afterwards. Having to send in my core and wait for the new tank means a lot more downtime.
Thanks for the heads up Anthony. Let me know what they say. Looks like they'll be getting some good business soon.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 PM
anth115
Racer

Originally Posted by Nater02
Thanks for the heads up Anthony. Let me know what they say. Looks like they'll be getting some good business soon.
apparently the cores are no longer sold by GM so LPE requires us to send in our cores first.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Nater02
Instructor

apparently the cores are no longer sold by GM so LPE requires us to send in our cores first.
Crap. Might be able to find one to use as a core but looks like we are sol.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:35 AM
anth115
Racer

Did some digging around - for anyone with concerns about the overcooled oil on the street (esp. with the LPE tank), check this out:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-dollars.html

Seems like a good idea. Even just using the cover linked in that post would be a foolproof way to yield some improvement.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Better off to just block the stock cooler in the colder weather with cardboard or the like and remove when going to track events.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:09 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

How well does the oil tank baffle work with the factory 8 quart tank?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Starvation Question: 06 w/ Baffle, Stock Sump

Old 11-09-2016, 01:07 PM
anth115
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbob8915
How well does the oil tank baffle work with the factory 8 quart tank?
That's what I was initially trying to find out with this thread. Seems to be an unpopular option thus far.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:03 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can have oil starvation on OEM goodyears. Ask me how I know.
Might not get it running 36-38s but it is not worth the risk. The tank is cheap and easy to install. Don't go to mosport or the glen without it.
I have tank, tank baffle and later added pan baffle. Because it is so much cheaper than a new motor. Dave Stevenson is aces. Does all the work on my car.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Nater02
Crap. Might be able to find one to use as a core but looks like we are sol.
PM me, I have my original '06 tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil Starvation Question: 06 w/ Baffle, Stock Sump