Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Winter Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 AM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Oil in the intake. I resolved that five years ago on my '11. Disconnected the line from the air intake to the oil tank. Seems what happens is when normal driving the vacuum in the intake sucks the vapor thru the valley cover to intake manifold line. When full throttle there is no intake vacuum to suck the vapor so now the large amount of air coming thru the air intake duct causes a Bernnoulli effect on the that hose connection to create vacuum and suck the vapor into the intake. Actually I also plugged the valley to intake connection off. I ran the two valve cover lines and the oil tank line to a catch can. Ran the can out line down to atmosphere (off road use only). About every 500 miles the can has a couple inches water and a quarter inch of oil.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
Oil in the intake. I resolved that five years ago on my '11. Disconnected the line from the air intake to the oil tank. Seems what happens is when normal driving the vacuum in the intake sucks the vapor thru the valley cover to intake manifold line. When full throttle there is no intake vacuum to suck the vapor so now the large amount of air coming thru the air intake duct causes a Bernnoulli effect on the that hose connection to create vacuum and suck the vapor into the intake. Actually I also plugged the valley to intake connection off. I ran the two valve cover lines and the oil tank line to a catch can. Ran the can out line down to atmosphere (off road use only). About every 500 miles the can has a couple inches water and a quarter inch of oil.
Very good idea and that is exactly what I did. David from MMS hooked me up. I am venting to the fender for now and will watch it very closely.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Thanks Jason and Brenton!!

Jason: I got my rear NT01s in. So front and rears are ready. Did you order tires yet? I will be putting everything back together tomorrow and hope to get her started. If you have nothing going on and want to swing over, feel free to. No big deal if you can't. Also, she has a date with Mike from New Era on Thursday to be tuned. I wanted to chat with you briefly regarding the tune before I limp her over there. I will text you next week if we can't hook up this weekend. Then to the alignment shop for alignment and corner balance. Shake down at Watkins on the 17th. She has to be ready!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:00 PM
JShort
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad to hear you are scheduled with Mike! You won't be disappointed.

I have not ordered my tires yet. I'll text you this weekend and see if I can swing by.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

MSD bolted on. Even my wife pitched in. Needed her smaller hands to get to the back manifold bolts. Followed Josh's recommendations on torque procedure of all of the bolts.

NW Throttle body attached (no issues):

Halltech MF108 going on. Jim could have provided clamps a tad bigger for the hose attaching the NW TB, otherwise no issues:

All buttoned up and ready for first start!

Going to go over her very closely to verify all of my connections, hoses, wires, bolts etc. Have to quickly finish up the catch can hoses then VROOOOOM. Hope I didn't miss anything.....
Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
Care to share some pix so mechanically challenged guys like me can follow?

For example, when you removed the oil tank to intake line, you ran the oil tank line into a catch can, but I assume you plugged the intake port? Also, you ran the other line from the oil tank to the valve covers also into the catch can and plugged the two valve cover ports?

I have an EE catch can already installed, but still see some oiling in my filter/TB after several track days, so would like to eliminate all sources of oil into intake path if possible.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

She fired right up. No issues. Took her for a short spin and got a lean code which I expected. Lots more air! Very slight rattle at light acceleration from under the cowl. I used a button head bolt on one of the manifold clamshell bolts, but I am thinking it is still hitting the cowl. Will pull apart later and figure it out. But everything went smooth and she is ready.

Off to the dyno today. Of course it is raining and I have to limp her across town.... Picking up my C7Z on the way back from storage. Terrible day to transport cars around but such is life.

Here is the initial start!

Last edited by Mordeth; 04-06-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 AM
JShort
Burning Brakes

Can't wait to hear the new numbers Anthony! You're in good hands with Mike.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
She fired right up. No issues. Took her for a short spin and got a lean code which I expected. Lots more air! Very slight rattle at light acceleration from under the cowl. I used a button head bolt on one of the manifold clamshell bolts, but I am thinking it is still hitting the cowl. Will pull apart later and figure it out. But everything went smooth and she is ready.

Off to the dyno today. Of course it is raining and I have to limp her across town.... Picking up my C7Z on the way back from storage. Terrible day to transport cars around but such is life.

Here is the initial start!
Congrats! How was the TB to water pump clearance? Hopefully you don't have to shave too much off the back mount on your MSD...
Old 04-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Congrats! How was the TB to water pump clearance? Hopefully you don't have to shave too much off the back mount on your MSD...
TB to waterpump clearance was paper-thin but I had room. I replaced the pump a few years ago as it cracked. It was an OEM replacement pump but I wonder if GM changed something in the design.

I pick her back up today. Another great day to transport vehicles around. We got 1" of snow last night and it is still coming down. Just f'ing great. Should be able to post results and dyno sheet later tonight. I need a relatively safe tune as she is basically a dedicated track car that sees 4k-7k RPMs for extended periods of time. I know everyone swears they have the "best" tuner", but I am very confident in this guy. Mike from New Era Performance in Rochester, NY. Jshort recommended him to me and he does real good work on our cars and has been tuning them for years.

Oh and I let this pig back in my garage:

Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Got her back. Mike from New Era really took care of me. Highly recommended. She runs great and picked up a fair amount of power. I am most impressed with the torque increases. I run my car very hard for extended periods of time on the track and so I know it intimately. I put her through some paces after picking her up and the difference is an order of magnitude larger. Tony does superb work on these manifolds, and hats off to Jim at Halltech for supplying me with the MF108. Tuner loves it due to the MAF forward design.

I was at 535/480. Now at 569/522. So I picked up about 35 rwhp and 42 lb-ft tq. Tony was basically spot on when he told me what to expect. Mike dialed in a nice safe tune for me as he knows it lives on a race-track and my objective was not a max-effort build. Car spends alot of time in the 4k-7k RPM range and it always worries me. I will know more once I data log on the track and start analyzing my times. My top speed on the back straight at Watkins will also be a good indication. I know exactly what she normally does. Anyhow, here is the dyno. I am sure it could be better, but I am happy with it and it suits my needs and purpose. She will have a full shakedown at Watkins on the 17th and 18th on MPSS tires, then I move to R compound tires for the rest of the season. Still need an alignment and corner balance, but that will be sorted next week.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Wow, that's an interesting dog!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Great gains!
Old 04-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Haha that is Zeus. My 200lb Newfoundland. All teeth and muscle on the outside but a big giant and gentle heart inside. He mostly lays around, or swims in the pool, or snatches large steaks off my grille (true story) and gallops away. In the winter he refuses to come inside and in the summer refuses to go outside unless it is to jump in the pool. Otherwise he sits in his spot on the deck and scans the backyard for foxes and coyotes and watches the inside for whatever. He has this long, deep wolf howl that he announces to everyone when he walks to the back yard. I guess he is letting everyone know he has arrived. Haven't seen a fox or a coyote in a long time since he has been around.

I took her a for a healthy spin today as the weather finally cleared up to really give her a go. I can feel the power increases all across the band and in every gear. Even third gear was treacherous. But everything held up well and she is running strong and healthy. She is going to be a real handful on the track now. I think my poor C7Z is in some very serious trouble. Long live the LS7!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Nice gains.. Jut placed my order for a Mamo MSD. Excited to get it in, on, and retuned!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Took her to Watkins for a shakedown run today. Ran her pretty good. She held up extremely well. Oil temps never exceeded 235 degrees and coolant around 225ish. She ran very, very strong. MM Catch can is doing it's job. Grabbed a bit of oil from it at the end of the day. Brakes also held up extremely well. AzDave brake cooling ducts appear to be doing their job. No fade at all. Held up extremely well, even during a very long session with a Radical beating me up and a Viper chasing me down. The Autoblip is a godsend. One less thing to worry about when I am threshold braking. Had a to make a few adjustments to it, but once I had the delay and blip set it worked flawlessly.

I was on MPSS. Will move back to DOT R Compound NT01 in a few weeks. She was a little loose in the rear (but better than before) and there was more oversteer than usual. Will have to sort that. I definitely picked up power from my recent mods. I was up about 3-5mph on the back straight. Maybe more as I was braking at about 150 feet sooner than my usual spot. I will be able to go deeper into the braking zone once back on the R Compounds. Heading back tomorrow to push her some more.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:39 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Mordeth;1594550697].... during a very long session with a Radical beating me up and a Viper chasing me down. <snip>

Very respectable company, seeing that the Radical is an aero enhanced dedicated track car and the Viper a track monster in its own right.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Mods

Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 PM
heavychevy357
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Very nice Anthony. Glad to see she is running great after the recent mods. Still loving the color on that thing. Also glad to hear that you are taking on Vipers and the sort.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 AM
JShort
Burning Brakes

Thanks for keeping us posted Anthony! The mods you did this winter are definitely working to further improve your car. I'm excited to join you at the Glen someday soon hopefully. Let's get together over the next couple weeks sometime with the cars
Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Thanks. 2nd day also success. She ran very well. Encountered 3 issues:

1) Ran out of tire, as was to be expected. Dumping the MPSS today for my NT01. Heading back with NASA on Monday/Tuesday of next week.

2) Encountered high speed rear vibration/wobble. Was happening at 135mph+ while accelerating. I am 99% sure it is the infamous "death wobble" of the MPSS. Will know more on Monday when I am back on my R compound.

3) On high banking, right handers, I was experiencing an intermittent knocking/rattling sound coming from the rear. I have video of it and I can post if someone thinks they can diagnose it. I put it on my lift and checked my entire rear end...sway, endlinks, axle, shocks, control arms etc. But everything is tight. I didn't notice it while on track, but in my review of my videos it was very obvious. I can pop up a video of it if someone wants to see. Will diagnose more next week.

Otherwise she ran like a champ. Only the Radicals, a very, very fast C5Z and a Viper could pace me. Radicals made mince meat of me. Hellcats got lapped.