Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Winter Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:53 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Thanks. Did quite a bit this winter.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:36 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Well, she fired up! Roared back to life after being out of commission for 4 months for a complete rebuild. Held oil pressure. She sounds MUCH MUCH quieter. I can barely hear the valve train now. Having trouble finding idle but not a big deal. Am also screwing around with this vacuum pump. Had a minor "thermal event" with a harness, but that was fixed. I will be towing her over to the tuner in a week or so to get her up on the dyno.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:51 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Congrats Anthony! Looking forward to hearing your feedback on the new suspension setup. It should be night and day once it's dialed in.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:11 PM
JShort
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice work Anthony! Are you having Mike tune it again?
Old 02-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Thanks fellas. Yes Jason, I will tow her over to Mike probably in 2 weeks. I am not sure where she will end up power wise, but I need to keep her around 550 rwhp to meet my class specs with NASA. I already added 100lbs of lead ballast to the passenger side just to meet weight and she is now corner balanced literally perfect (had her on scales yesterday). At 550rwhp I will be just at the min weight/hp ratio for the class I race in. I am guessing he will need to take some power out of her, but we will see.

And Mike, I went with a much milder cam this time. You still probably won't be happy with me, but I'm down to .651" lift now.

Oh, and my forged wheels came in yesterday. I weighed them. 20.6lbs

Old 02-03-2018, 05:56 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

^ Haha...the new lift and lobes are way better than that last cam.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Fabbed up a an extended splitter and undertray. .250" ABS. Bought a sheet of 8"x 4".

Traced it on top of my fascia:

Cut it with my jig saw:

Got it on a lift to trace, cut and mount the undertray portion:

Here it is on the car. It is secured in multiple locations underneath. Also installed two carbon fiber splitter support rods. It is going to need two more rods in the center:

And now dealing with this POS ECM.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Whats wrong with your ECM?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Was all set to load the car on my trailer today and tow it to the dyno. Took off of work etc. It still has the break-in oil in it and I was about to swap it for my normal oil. But during some more heat cycling and load on the motor with the break-in oil still in the car the coolant temp gauges (both DIC and gauge) on the dash started acting erratically. They would peg and swing wildly and I started getting codes. Motor was not overheating. Everything else sounded and looked good.

I had broken the ECT previously while I had the heads off and I had a new one on there. Thought I got a defective one so I replaced it with another one. Same problem. Traced/replaced every single wire up to the ECM from the ECT. Checked all grounds, all harnesses, everything. Still doing it. So it is the damn ECM. I tried cleaning the contacts but it is still doing it. Coolant temp gauges pegging and acting erratic.

So I am replacing this POS with another one, as I am confident it is fried. Will install tomorrow and now hopefully will get to the dyno on Monday. She sounds REAL good otherwise. Motor is super quiet now. I can barely hear the valve train anymore.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Anthony...
Wow... No words. That Splitter/under tray is awesome!!! Mad skillz bro!! Car looks incredible!! #beyondtalented
Old 02-16-2018, 10:42 AM
flyloeZ06
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Mordeth;1593464679]Thanks. It is a Ranger BL-5000SLX QuickJack. Best investment I ever made. Works like a charm. Just slide the two lift pieces under the car and hit the "UP" button. About 30 seconds later she is fully extended. There are two locking bars on either side that lock the lift in place. I feel extremely safe under it. Makes my life SO much easier working on my cars. Got sick and tired of jacking corners and manipulating jack stands. REAL sick and tired of it. This solved all of my aggravation. Now I can just go out to the garage and start working instead of screwing around with a jack.

I have the 7000EXT but haven't tried it out yet. I know it's a quarter in. higher that the 5000.... was wondering what rubber block do you use in the lift trays? Needed the 7000 because I also use it with my truck and suv.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:20 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Was all set to load the car on my trailer today and tow it to the dyno. Took off of work etc. It still has the break-in oil in it and I was about to swap it for my normal oil. But during some more heat cycling and load on the motor with the break-in oil still in the car the coolant temp gauges (both DIC and gauge) on the dash started acting erratically. They would peg and swing wildly and I started getting codes. Motor was not overheating. Everything else sounded and looked good.

I had broken the ECT previously while I had the heads off and I had a new one on there. Thought I got a defective one so I replaced it with another one. Same problem. Traced/replaced every single wire up to the ECM from the ECT. Checked all grounds, all harnesses, everything. Still doing it. So it is the damn ECM. I tried cleaning the contacts but it is still doing it. Coolant temp gauges pegging and acting erratic.

So I am replacing this POS with another one, as I am confident it is fried. Will install tomorrow and now hopefully will get to the dyno on Monday. She sounds REAL good otherwise. Motor is super quiet now. I can barely hear the valve train anymore.
Sounds like a pain. I imagine you have a Tech2 in order to go through all teh security protocol and re-learn function for the new ECM?
Old 02-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by flyloeZ06

I have the 7000EXT but haven't tried it out yet. I know it's a quarter in. higher that the 5000.... was wondering what rubber block do you use in the lift trays? Needed the 7000 because I also use it with my truck and suv.
I use the smaller, slightly less thick blocks. The larger blocks won't clear my side skirts when I slide the quickjack underneath the car unless I drive it onto boards. The thinner ones work perfect on the jack, and jacking pucks on the car. Slides right under and then up she goes.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Anthony...
Wow... No words. That Splitter/under tray is awesome!!! Mad skillz bro!! Car looks incredible!! #beyondtalented
02-14-2018 07:08 PM
Haha thanks. You get those DRMs installed yet?

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Sounds like a pain. I imagine you have a Tech2 in order to go through all teh security protocol and re-learn function for the new ECM?
Nope. Had to borrow one. Got the new ECM in, got through the BS and she fired. Issue of erratic coolant reading is gone. Let the car run for a while and no more crazy coolant readings or pegging. She is actually running cooler than I was expecting. Maybe the new Dewitts is working well. No idea how I managed to fry the ECM by the way. I never touched it or anything near it (unless you count the small thermal event at first fire ). Everything sounds/looks good right now. Not sure how this vacuum pump is going to work out but we will see.

I will run some more tests this weekend and if all goes well then I will trailer her over to the dyno this week.

Seats are in too. Used Mark from AMT Motorsports seat mounts. They fit PERFECT and are literally a work of art. I eliminated the seat belt warning light, air bag light on passenger and driver side and retained telescopic steering with simulators from Vetteworks.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:57 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Soon... Haven't even driven the Z...

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Haha thanks. You get those DRMs installed yet?

Nope. Had to borrow one. Got the new ECM in, got through the BS and she fired. Issue of erratic coolant reading is gone. Let the car run for a while and no more crazy coolant readings or pegging. She is actually running cooler than I was expecting. Maybe the new Dewitts is working well. No idea how I managed to fry the ECM by the way. I never touched it or anything near it (unless you count the small thermal event at first fire ). Everything sounds/looks good right now. Not sure how this vacuum pump is going to work out but we will see.

I will run some more tests this weekend and if all goes well then I will trailer her over to the dyno this week.

Seats are in too. Used Mark from AMT Motorsports seat mounts. They fit PERFECT and are literally a work of art. I eliminated the seat belt warning light, air bag light on passenger and driver side and retained telescopic steering with simulators from Vetteworks.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Got my slicks on and got her loaded up on the trailer yesterday:

Dragged her over to the dyno:

Old 02-20-2018, 07:11 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

The racing class I run in with NASA and NARRA are weight/horsepower limited. Basically, based on my declared minimum competition weight I cannot exceed 565 whp, and I have to produce 3 separate dyno graphs showing this. It is done SAE, smoothing 5 and I also have to provide the full chart that includes readings from 50 rpm increments. There is a signed, certified form that they dyno operator must sign and I submit the whole operation to NASA for full certification for my class.

The first full run produced this:

Tuner said she has alot more in her and would easily take more timing. But again I am hp limited in my class. So I had him dial it down and flatten the hp curve.

I don't care about peak hp and have no interest in internet racing. So the car was built to provide a flat torque curve with maximum power in the usable band. I road race the car. So he dialed it back per my instructions and did three consecutive runs to produce this:

And here is one of the graphs broken out and what will be certified with NASA (564 whp!) 1 hp shy of the max I can for my weight:

I must say that the tuner did a superb job dialing it in. And hats off to Pat G, who spec'd the cam. He predicted precisely what it would do and was spot on regarding extracting maximum power under the power band. Very happy with the results. It is dead-on what I built her for. And if I ever decide to change classes I she has more in her.

Few more things to wrap up regarding aero, a new short shifter and ballast (to meet weight) and she will be ready for the track in March.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Mods

Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 PM
heavychevy357
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice! Finally! Very good numbers man. I have no doubt it’ll run very strong!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:27 PM
JShort
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks great Anthony! Mike certainly knows how to tune

BTW - the new wheels look fantastic!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Crazy torque down low...that thing is going to pull like a beast.