Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Winter Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Default Winter Mods

Got a few winter mods going on in preparation of next years track season.

-DRM Valved Bilstein shocks
-LG front brake spindle ducts
-Modified front brake ducting to front grille
-ZR1 Splitter reinforcement bracket
-XP12 and XP10 brake pads
-LG front and rear tow hook
-New set of wheels/tires
-Lingenfelter pedals

Here she is up in the air getting ready for the shocks.

Popular Reply

12-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Few winter updates.

Here is vid from a full race at WGI for anyone interested. Started dead last as I had a mechanical issue (fixed) during qualifying and therefore did not qualify.

Slapped some street tires on and have been breaking in clutch on the street in between snowflakes. Shifting was a bit notchy so I added a washer to the detent bolt on the transmission.

Now she shifts smooth as butter with still plenty of positive engagement. Easy to find all the gears. Very happy with this mod.

Purchased a new trailer. 24' ATC CH305 with fully finished interior + cabinets. Sick and tired of that POS open trailer I have been hauling with the last few years. I am very, very happy with this new trailer. Excellent fit and finish, and built very solid. Has a side escape door so I can open my car door when I load it. I will be outfitting it over the winter and will post more pics.

Random race shots:

Old 11-14-2016, 02:15 AM
Z2Z
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks great! I have a few questions though.

Who makes the "lift" that you are using and how do you like it? I have seen several brands for those type of lift.

Can you post some pics of the Lingenfelter pedals? Are the edges rounded or sharp? I'd like some pedals that have a sharp edge to help my foot bite on them while heel and toeing.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:29 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Z2Z
Looks great! I have a few questions though.

Who makes the "lift" that you are using and how do you like it? I have seen several brands for those type of lift.

Can you post some pics of the Lingenfelter pedals? Are the edges rounded or sharp? I'd like some pedals that have a sharp edge to help my foot bite on them while heel and toeing.
Thanks. It is a Ranger BL-5000SLX QuickJack. Best investment I ever made. Works like a charm. Just slide the two lift pieces under the car and hit the "UP" button. About 30 seconds later she is fully extended. There are two locking bars on either side that lock the lift in place. I feel extremely safe under it. Makes my life SO much easier working on my cars. Got sick and tired of jacking corners and manipulating jack stands. REAL sick and tired of it. This solved all of my aggravation. Now I can just go out to the garage and start working instead of screwing around with a jack.

Here are the pedals. My buddy uses these exact pedals on his Z06 that he also tracks. The accelerator pedal is designed to be wider than stock to assist in heel-toe and provide more bite. I tried them on his car and had to have them.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Trkdrvr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Replace stereo, thanks to a friend here on cf.
Your the best, also sun visors,carbon fiber roof wrap.IF I CAN FIND THE RITE WRAP!
Any help on that would be (helpful) pm me.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I got the DRM valved Bilstein shocks in. Very straightforward. Used the zip-tie method to compress the shocks for easier removal and installation. Really hoping these plant her rear end better on the track.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

The rear tow hook was a MAJOR pain the ***. I mean major. Once I got the hangers off the tail pipes, I could not get the new bolts started. There is ZERO room between the hanger and the screw in point once the hook is in place. I mean NO ROOM. The factory bolts were also too small to even get started. I bought the next size up bolts and these were too long. Again, there is NO ROOM. I eventually cut down the longer bolts and had to place a wedge between the mufflers to spread them. Finally got the bolts started and in place. PHEW What a PITA.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Got the front fascia off. Done for now until next weekend. I did get the splitter reinforcement brace installed in the fascia though. The duct work I am doing for the brakes should be fun. Waiting on a new front tow hook from LG as the one sent to me would not screw into the receiver. Also waiting on the spindle kit.

Last edited by Mordeth; 11-14-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Got some more work done. Brakes replaced on all four corners.

Front tow hook installed:

Brake duct work mostly done. Moved and extended the duct to the front grilled. Modified some speaker ducts and attached them to the front.

Attached the 4" hose to test for fitment. Will cut them shorter once on the car:

Old 11-20-2016, 01:42 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I got the DRM valved Bilstein shocks in. Very straightforward. Used the zip-tie method to compress the shocks for easier removal and installation. Really hoping these plant her rear end better on the track.

I just got mine back a week ago with the DRM's, temperatures were a little cool so I couldnt push too much up the mountains but seem to be everything I've read on here about them. I also found they don't "track" going down the highway like stock ones.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Just a heads up if you plan on having the car up on the lift all winter; you can lower the lift onto the safety bars and disconnect the hoses. When I have mine up for an extended period of time, I like to get the hoses out of the way so im not rolling over them with the creeper. I called quick jack and its what they recommended.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Maligator
Just a heads up if you plan on having the car up on the lift all winter; you can lower the lift onto the safety bars and disconnect the hoses. When I have mine up for an extended period of time, I like to get the hoses out of the way so im not rolling over them with the creeper. I called quick jack and its what they recommended.
It is a good point. Thanks. I am now just waiting on my Quantum spindle kit and I can bolt her all back together. I hope they ship quick.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should cover the holes left from the factory ducts that are left? They are the factory holes that are under the front fascia that normally would connect to the plastic duct piece. I could pop rivet some hard plastic over them, but I am not sure if it is needed or not.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Finally got the spindle ducts and "AzDave47" modified front grille ducting installed. Huge thanks to AzDave who helped me every step of the way. I really appreciate it Dave.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:30 PM
WidowMaker_13
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! I need to pull my front bumper this winter to get my LG tow hook installed and my splitter / splitter reinforcement. I have just been too lazy to do it
Old 12-10-2016, 09:36 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by WidowMaker_13
Looks good! I need to pull my front bumper this winter to get my LG tow hook installed and my splitter / splitter reinforcement. I have just been too lazy to do it
Thanks. Installing the front tow hook was a bit of a pain. The hollow frame channel that you screw into is not very big and my wrench couldn't reach the nuts. I had to "modify" an open ended wrench to hold the nut on the bolt. I happened to have a long, thin, steel bar that I duct taped my wrench too. With a little finesse, I was able to hold the nut in place from the inside and wrench down the bolts from the outside. Much easier with two people. The rear tow hook was equally infuriating, as you have no room between the mufflers and the hangar where the took hook is installed. Literally none. I actually dropped the damn thing on my face while trying to pry the mufflers apart.

I am getting some rubbing with these new 295 front tires on the ducting coming out of the spindle when I turn the wheels fully to the left or right. Going to have to get inventive with zip ties and hold the duct closer to the control arms. Otherwise, my first test drive was successful.

I am also thinking of going with a set of Sparco Evo II USA seats, harness bar, Hans device and harness soon. Looks like it is going to cost me another $5 grand to do it right. I am trying to get all of these things done quickly as the wife is going to put the brakes on this whole operation soon.....
Old 12-10-2016, 11:40 AM
mr84monte
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. It is a Ranger BL-5000SLX QuickJack. Best investment I ever made. Works like a charm. Just slide the two lift pieces under the car and hit the "UP" button. About 30 seconds later she is fully extended. There are two locking bars on either side that lock the lift in place. I feel extremely safe under it. Makes my life SO much easier working on my cars. Got sick and tired of jacking corners and manipulating jack stands. REAL sick and tired of it. This solved all of my aggravation. Now I can just go out to the garage and start working instead of screwing around with a jack.

Here are the pedals. My buddy uses these exact pedals on his Z06 that he also tracks. The accelerator pedal is designed to be wider than stock to assist in heel-toe and provide more bite. I tried them on his car and had to have them.

I installed these pedals and it was absolutely worth it. I don't track the car, but I had issues with my shoes slipping off the clutch, and these solved that. The ones pictured have a disclaimer about being for the track only because of the wide gas pedal, but I've had no issues. It's wider, but not that wide.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:04 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice work! and cool quick lift, I like it and need one! LOL
Old 02-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Jcolenims70
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 vette electron blue

Hey I'm interested in this. I live in statesville nc would like to talk to you more about it rather over phone if you don't mind texting

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Mods

Old 02-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

duplicate

Last edited by Mordeth; 02-07-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

That is weird. I responded and it shows I responded but my post didn't show up. If this is a duplicate, I apologize:

Sure. Shoot me a PM. Happy to chat.

By the way, I have since completed the following additional items:

I filled her up with oil...11 quarts!! She fired right up and maintained oil pressure. After I got the oil warmed up I took her out for a spin and she ran very well. Checked everything for leaks and so far she seems pretty buttoned up.

Next project is my seats. Still debating on those. And then rear aero. Took a few weekends off as it has been too damn cold to work, even with my salamander heater running (sick of the kerosene smell).

Here is how she is sitting now:

Old 02-07-2017, 10:16 PM
              MTPZ06
              Team Owner
              Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

That is weird. I responded and it shows I responded but my post didn't show up. If this is a duplicate, I apologize:

Sure. Shoot me a PM. Happy to chat.

By the way, I have since completed the following additional items:

I filled her up with oil...11 quarts!! She fired right up and maintained oil pressure. After I got the oil warmed up I took her out for a spin and she ran very well. Checked everything for leaks and so far she seems pretty buttoned up.

Next project is my seats. Still debating on those. And then rear aero. Took a few weekends off as it has been too damn cold to work, even with my salamander heater running (sick of the kerosene smell).
                          Looks great! I noticed you had purchased a new set of GY runflats?

Also, maybe look into a ductless mini-split AC/heat pump for your garage if you work out there a ton.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 02-07-2017 at 10:16 PM.