Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Summit Trick Flow Heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:05 PM
r2boxers
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Summit Trick Flow Heads

Getting ready to pull heads and have them rebuilt for valve problem. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Trick Flow Heads? Just checking, not going that route at this time. Thanks for input.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

You don't get heads for this car off of Summit. You'll wind up with the wrong valves, the wrong springs, and probably a guide material that many wouldn't recommend. Get with some of the known suppliers talked about on here for some reworked stockers that perform exceptionally well...AHP, WCCH, AI.

If you want replacement heads, Tony Mamo has his own design of TFS heads which will require his own flavor of shaft mount yella terra rockers (YT developed for Tony's heads). This setup goes well beyond the typical head fix scenario as far as investment is concerned. Top notch stuff for sure though, Tony knows his stuff.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:30 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

TF did a ton of research and development on their LS7 head. Very nice package. My builder met with them at SEMA and was very impressed with them. He is getting 1400 hp on some builds using TF heads. I have them installed right out of the box as designed on my LS7 w/ a Katech torquer 110 making 565 to the rear wheels. They are a fresh design with redesigned valve angles. Come shaft ready. They say lightweight SS valves? All I know is I track my car up to 7000 rpms most of the day. Not one issue.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:37 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Stock heads flow very well, and for the added cost there is no reason for most of us, not to have AHP/wcch port and deck and recon a stock set of heads.

Just checking, not going that route at this time.

Sage advise.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Here's a good thread on here from last year on TFS. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ght=trick+flow

That thread is NOT about Mamo's TFS casting design.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 11-14-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:19 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

We can rework your stock heads and get them to the level they should have been right from the factory.

Our LS7 head rework packages start as low as $1,308 (plus shipping).

If you do go with a set of Trick Flows you can buy just the bare castings then send them in to us for finishing (improved porting, Valve Job, valves, springs, ect...)

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 11-15-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Racin Jason
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

had a set of 215cc on my C5, they are amazing. Actually purchased from Summit as well
Old 11-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm using them despite the peanut gallery here that said I'd have to lower my rev limiter.

I'm using them as-cast, out of the box, on a supercharged LS7 making ~650 rwhp for about 8k miles. It's only 8k miles but I haven't experienced any problems (2 oil changes) or heard any atypical noises. The car is spun to 7k almost every time I drive it.

Last edited by Tech; 11-15-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

They need lighter valves and better springs then they come with out of the box IMO but are good otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 02:12 PM
sp1tty
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tech
I'm using them despite the peanut gallery here that said I'd have to lower my rev limiter.

I'm using them as-cast, out of the box, on a supercharged LS7 making ~650 rwhp for about 8k miles. It's only 8k miles but I haven't experienced any problems (2 oil changes) or heard any atypical noises. The car is spun to 7k almost every time I drive it.
I am running these heads and have 16k miles on them. Running the ss valves that they come with. I run the car upto 7k every time I drive it as well.

Did a half mile event last year with multiple back to back runs and haven't had a single issue.

Although if I was to do it again, I would certainly be doing a package from Tony Mamo.
Tech (11-15-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:49 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Originally Posted by lt1z
They need lighter valves and better springs then they come with out of the box IMO but are good otherwise.
I heard this theory when I bought mine. Then I was rebuked with the amount of research and development that TF did. This head was designed for just the LS7. It is not a LS head for many applications. Then my builder told me of several of his 1100-1400 hp builds using them. All forced induction extreme applications. Granted I am sure there were modifications to some of those heads. But he recommended and we put them out of the box on my build. As some others have posted, not one issue in many hard miles at the rev limit.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:02 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Anyone know if you can order them with titanium intake valves? Also, what do they go for?

Last edited by MTBSully; 11-16-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Anyone know if you can order them with titanium intake valves? Also, what do they go for?
You cannot order them from Trick Flow with TI valves. If you call them, they'll tell you it's a waste of time for a stock-ish LS7, contrary to what people believe here.

Many machine shops can fit stock LS7 valves. You can order the heads directly from TEA and have them fit LS7 valves.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Tech
Safety Car

BTW.. TEA quoted me $1100 to put TI valves in new TFS heads.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:40 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

You cannot order them from Trick Flow with TI valves. If you call them, they'll tell you it's a waste of time for a stock-ish LS7, contrary to what people believe here.

Many machine shops can fit stock LS7 valves. You can order the heads directly from TEA and have them fit LS7 valves.
I was told the "stock" LS7 titanium valve will not fit the TF casting. It needs an aftermarket Titanium valve which is pricey. The TF head is different in several regards to the stock head, it is a whole different casting and design w/ different geometry.
r2boxers (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I was told the "stock" LS7 titanium valve will not fit the TF casting. It needs an aftermarket Titanium valve which is pricey. The TF head is different in several regards to the stock head, it is a whole different casting and design w/ different geometry.
Jason,
We offer a different valve job, hand blending and blue printing of the valve train assembly. The web site is sort of wrong. The only valve upgrade I have for that head is the factory Ti intake valves.

Gregg Changet
Total Engine Airflow
330-634-2155
www.TotalEngineAirflow.com
I'd take TEA's word for it.
r2boxers (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 01:08 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I heard this theory when I bought mine. Then I was rebuked with the amount of research and development that TF did. This head was designed for just the LS7. It is not a LS head for many applications. Then my builder told me of several of his 1100-1400 hp builds using them. All forced induction extreme applications. Granted I am sure there were modifications to some of those heads. But he recommended and we put them out of the box on my build. As some others have posted, not one issue in many hard miles at the rev limit.
It's not a theory. The valves are heavier then what a 7000+ rpm application calls for. Adequate for 6500 rpm boosted stuff though or stockish LS7s. When I use them they get a hollow stem valve on the intake and a spring upgrade. Brings the cost up a bit but well worth it to me. I do the same with the LS3 255s most of the time too. TF just had to cut some corners to keep the price point below $3000 a set.

Last edited by lt1z; 11-17-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Trick Flow Heads

Old 11-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lt1z
It's not a theory. The valves are heavier then what a 7000+ rpm application calls for...
This is the kinda stuff that is repeated a lot on this forum. Trick Flow disagrees and claims to have Spintron testing to back it up. Their reputation is worth _something_, but doesn't make it gospel, of course.

When I asked for Spintron data, they said "it's proprietary, was expensive, and is not available to the public". That could have meant they were blowing smoke up my ***. It could have also meant that they don't want to encourage their competitors to do the same because they have a price advantage with stainless valves. Only way we'll know is if people like us try them and report back. So far, so good, for 2 of us in this thread and many others elsewhere.

I did a _lot_ of research on this when I bought my heads. If you ask these questions on sites where independent industry experts commonly weigh-in, they tended to side with Trick Flow. TEA is one example, but there were others. Unfortunately, I didn't save all of those links or conversations.

This forum, and others, tend to have a mob mentality. Unless you ran the heads and they failed in a way that indicates it was a valve weight issue, or you have Spintron proof that these heads with the stainless valves actually cause problems, it is indeed theory. Spintron data on a different head with a different valve and a different spring can only help you form a theory.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:48 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

This is the kinda stuff that is repeated a lot on this forum. Trick Flow disagrees and claims to have Spintron testing to back it up. Their reputation is worth _something_, but doesn't make it gospel, of course.

When I asked for Spintron data, they said "it's proprietary, was expensive, and is not available to the public". That could have meant they were blowing smoke up my ***. It could have also meant that they don't want to encourage their competitors to do the same because they have a price advantage with stainless valves. Only way we'll know is if people like us try them and report back. So far, so good, for 2 of us in this thread and many others elsewhere.

I did a _lot_ of research on this when I bought my heads. If you ask these questions on sites where independent industry experts commonly weigh-in, they tended to side with Trick Flow. TEA is one example, but there were others. Unfortunately, I didn't save all of those links or conversations.

This forum, and others, tend to have a mob mentality. Unless you ran the heads and they failed in a way that indicates it was a valve weight issue, or you have Spintron proof that these heads with the stainless valves actually cause problems, it is indeed theory. Spintron data on a different head with a different valve and a different spring can only help you form a theory.

I know what works best from my experience. No spintron data to share, just what I have learned after building a few engines with various versions of these heads. I'm not here to convince anyone. People tend to believe what they want to hear anyway. Its a large valve and there is benefit to using one that is lighter. Do you have to? No you don't but then again you also don't have to purchase aftermarket heads either.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:21 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Do the TrickFlow address the inherent geometry issue of the OE head?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Summit Trick Flow Heads