Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Do people still have problems with Pilot Super Sport tires on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:18 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Just my opinion and my view, but I would never run a tire over 3yrs old above 100mph. Tires start to degrade as soon as they are made. Running above 100 on a 5yr old tire is high risk. I think if Michelin is replacing 5yr old tires; it makes a statement about their integrity and customer satisfaction.
Just an FYI, the PSS is an EL (extra load) tire and the OEM Goodyears are a LL (low load) rated tire so the M starts out with about a 40% higher load rating than a brand new OEM Goodyear tire.

Note also the othert post that M warranty's the tires for 6 years, a (Y) rated tire for 186+ MPH continuous. The High speed events I run do not allow for puncture repaired tires or for other obvious damage and require at leas 3/32" of tread. I don't think I have ever run my PSS below 4/32" in a high speed event.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 PM
.gearhead.
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Z06
Are there still issues with Pilot Super Sports being "wobbly" at high speeds? I know there has been numerous forum members that have had problems with these tires and there was no real resolution. Bad batch of tires?

I was going to go with Bridgestone Potenza RE11s, but fronts are on backorder so I may have to go with SS.
I have them on my '06 Z. 700 RWHP, city and highway, low and high speeds, no issues.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:31 AM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default And the front and rear date codes on the tires on your car are?

Date codes are ??? Barring disclosure by Michelin, this is the only way we can confirm the extent of the manufacturing defect.

Originally Posted by .gearhead.
I have them on my '06 Z. 700 RWHP, city and highway, low and high speeds, no issues.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:05 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z.06
Date codes are ??? Barring disclosure by Michelin, this is the only way we can confirm the extent of the manufacturing defect.
See the picture in post #36 above. There is the DOT letters a few other codes and then a 4-digit number. That 4-diget number is the date code, the first two number are the week of manufacture and the last two are the year of manufacture ie 3612 would be the 36th week of 2012, about early September, 2012.

Check out this site for much good technical information on tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

Last edited by AzDave47; 04-29-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Dave Myles
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealing with rear end wobble now. 2011 grand sport 28k miles. Brand new 345-30-19 michelin pilot super sport rears. Bought car 2 months ago. Brand new all the way around. The guy I bought it from put them on. So I have no receipt. Michelin says the warranty is void because I don't have a receipt. Tires have 9/32 on each. Brand new. Here's the deal. WOT 1-2-3-4 gets wobbles at like 85 ish and is hard to do anything over that speed wobble wobble death wobble. Shut it down. Without WOT still does wobble near 100 mph. Took my mechanic for a spin and he pissed his pants. He also has a 2011 Grandsport with 4k miles. I replaced my rims and tires with his. I drove up to 130mph with no problems on his Goodyear run flats. Felt like a different car. Before the wheel and tire swap we checked psi, balance,alignment, sway bar, bushings and shocks. Tire 1 dot 4mmy-002x-1216. Tire 2 dot 4mmy- 002x 2915
Has anyone gotten these tires warrantied for this same problem? If so, anyone that got the warranty without the receipt?
The following users liked this post:
Drusmith (08-23-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave Myles
Dealing with rear end wobble now. 2011 grand sport 28k miles. Brand new 345-30-19 michelin pilot super sport rears. Bought car 2 months ago. Brand new all the way around. The guy I bought it from put them on. So I have no receipt. Michelin says the warranty is void because I don't have a receipt. Tires have 9/32 on each. Brand new. Here's the deal. WOT 1-2-3-4 gets wobbles at like 85 ish and is hard to do anything over that speed wobble wobble death wobble. Shut it down. Without WOT still does wobble near 100 mph. Took my mechanic for a spin and he pissed his pants. He also has a 2011 Grandsport with 4k miles. I replaced my rims and tires with his. I drove up to 130mph with no problems on his Goodyear run flats. Felt like a different car. Before the wheel and tire swap we checked psi, balance,alignment, sway bar, bushings and shocks. Tire 1 dot 4mmy-002x-1216. Tire 2 dot 4mmy- 002x 2915
Has anyone gotten these tires warrantied for this same problem? If so, anyone that got the warranty without the receipt?
Have you verified your wheel alignment? Rear wheel alignment problems would be most likely to cause the problem but front could. I'd recommend a 4-wheel alignment if you have not had it checked recently (after you noticed the problem.).

Wobble at 85 is way below the speed most experienced it and your tire dates seem 3+ years beyond when the M tire problem existed. Can you get the tire receipt from the prior owner? M unlikely to replace tires w/o a receipt or some proof of purchase.

My 1716 rear 325/30-19 PSS non- ZPs have been to 165 with no issue at all on my 09Z.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Dave Myles
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Have you verified your wheel alignment? Rear wheel alignment problems would be most likely to cause the problem but front could. I'd recommend a 4-wheel alignment if you have not had it checked recently (after you noticed the problem.).

Wobble at 85 is way below the speed most experienced it and your tire dates seem 3+ years beyond when the M tire problem existed. Can you get the tire receipt from the prior owner? M unlikely to replace tires w/o a receipt or some proof of purchase.

My 1716 rear 325/30-19 PSS non- ZPs have been to 165 with no issue at all on my 09Z.
Checked alignment all tires all psi all balanced. We changed out rears with other rears. Problem solved except which tire? Lol yeah I know My won't budge no biggie.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Drusmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave Myles
Checked alignment all tires all psi all balanced. We changed out rears with other rears. Problem solved except which tire? Lol yeah I know My won't budge no biggie.
Dave thanks for your input! I am running MPSS also on my boosted GS. Death Wobble like crazy under WOT. I mentioned this in another thread, my tire dates are 0616 & 2916. I sent Michelin an email. I will see where that gets me.

This is my 2nd set. I absolutely loved the MPSS at Sebring International raceway and street. It just seems they get a couple bad batches that get out to the public. Im think I have one tire that is bad which is causing the wobble.

Last edited by Drusmith; 08-23-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Justin-Sane
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the wobble on mine. I've had the tires mounted for about a year and a half and it just recently started getting bad. I talked to Tire rack where i bought them and they said Michelin won't even bother with me since the tires are over a year old.
My tires have 1000 or less miles on them. No track use, no burnouts.

I paid $800 for this?? I'll never buy Michelin again.

Last edited by Justin-Sane; 06-04-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:33 PM
dcooper23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Justin-Sane
I have the wobble on mine. I've had the tires mounted for about a year and a half and it just recently started getting bad. I talked to Tire rack where i bought them and they said Michelin won't even bother with me since the tires are over a year old.

What is the date code on your tires?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:37 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Zero issues in Mexico this weekend well into 3 digits....My Michs only have about 300 miles on them
Old 06-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Drusmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Justin-Sane

THE MPSS ARE JUNK! or at least some are.
Pilot 4S's are what I have now and are awesome!!!

I just went through this myself. I mentioned my death wobble back on 8/28/17. Went to Discount tire local to my house and they said its the car not the tires. Since then I had an alignment performed, wheels check for round, tires road matched and balanced by the dealer. I still had the problem. The wobble was so bad after 120mph+ that the car became unsafe to race anywhere. I went back to another Discount tire on the other end of town and explained the entire ordeal. Here is my review I left for them on Google, this explains my AWESOME experience.......

"Little back story about the issue I had with my Michelin Pilot Super sports I purchased from Discount Tire Size: 325/35/19, rear tires.....
At certain high speeds my car had a horrible “death wobble” (search MPSS death wobble on google). It’s was scary to say the least. This death wobble went away after I put my other tires on for racing so I assumed it was tires so I took the car into Discount tires in Grandville, the manger at this location was a complete a-hole and said my car must be broken and sent me on my way. Knowing my car was NOT broken I brought in into Todd Wenzel Buick GMC. They performed an Alignment, balanced the tires, road match them and check my entire rear end for any issues. Just as I suspected, not one thing was wrong with my car. Todd Wenzel sent me next door to the Discount Tire here in 28th street. Phil and Tim took care of me by the book. They performed a complete examination of my two rear tires and they discovered there indeed was some movement in the side walls. They did some adjustments and told me to try it out and let them know if I had anymore issues. Well I tested them, and THE DEATH WOBBLE did NOT GO AWAY. They had me come back in and replaced the tires without question. They replaced the Super sports with the pilot 4S. Wow what a difference. Car has no more wobble issues. Phil and Tim went out of their way to make sure my car was safe and I appreciate that! I will be back to this location for all tire needs. 100% recommend them!"

So it was 100% the tires for me. I would recommend that you take your tires back to the tire shop where you purchased them and have them test the tires. I bet they find movement in the sidewalls.
Landru (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 05:05 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My buddy had the deat wobble on his PSS on C6 Grand Sport, went thru different wheels and rotors, same problem. Got Contis and no problem

In april a C6 GS with SC and PSS had the death wobble and backed out of it at 160 at Mojave. He ran my PSS and did 202 in the 1.5 mile trap.

The PSS problem is real, but definitely tire dependent. I'm on my 2nd set with no probles on the PSS.

Last edited by AzDave47; 06-04-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Bad_AX (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Justin-Sane
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcooper23
What is the date code on your tires?
1815. So Apr27-May3 2015.

Purchased them late 2015, waited until the following spring/summertime to mount them. Since then i've put about 1000 miles on them. About a month ago they went from being great to scary to drive on...

Originally Posted by Drusmith
THE MPSS ARE JUNK! or at least some are.
Pilot 4S's are what I have now and are awesome!!!

I just went through this myself. I mentioned my death wobble back on 8/28/17. Went to Discount tire local to my house and they said its the car not the tires. Since then I had an alignment performed, wheels check for round, tires road matched and balanced by the dealer. I still had the problem. The wobble was so bad after 120mph+ that the car became unsafe to race anywhere. I went back to another Discount tire on the other end of town and explained the entire ordeal. Here is my review I left for them on Google, this explains my AWESOME experience.......

"Little back story about the issue I had with my Michelin Pilot Super sports I purchased from Discount Tire Size: 325/35/19, rear tires.....
At certain high speeds my car had a horrible “death wobble” (search MPSS death wobble on google). It’s was scary to say the least. This death wobble went away after I put my other tires on for racing so I assumed it was tires so I took the car into Discount tires in Grandville, the manger at this location was a complete a-hole and said my car must be broken and sent me on my way. Knowing my car was NOT broken I brought in into Todd Wenzel Buick GMC. They performed an Alignment, balanced the tires, road match them and check my entire rear end for any issues. Just as I suspected, not one thing was wrong with my car. Todd Wenzel sent me next door to the Discount Tire here in 28th street. Phil and Tim took care of me by the book. They performed a complete examination of my two rear tires and they discovered there indeed was some movement in the side walls. They did some adjustments and told me to try it out and let them know if I had anymore issues. Well I tested them, and THE DEATH WOBBLE did NOT GO AWAY. They had me come back in and replaced the tires without question. They replaced the Super sports with the pilot 4S. Wow what a difference. Car has no more wobble issues. Phil and Tim went out of their way to make sure my car was safe and I appreciate that! I will be back to this location for all tire needs. 100% recommend them!"

So it was 100% the tires for me. I would recommend that you take your tires back to the tire shop where you purchased them and have them test the tires. I bet they find movement in the sidewalls.

Man that sucks! I went to discount tire as well had a good experience. They showed me how far out of whack the tires were and it was pretty bad. Since mine were made in 2015, they won't even look at them. That's what really gets on my nerves. The tread is great, they aren't flat spotted, no cracking anywhere. easy driving and they crap out in 2 summers. That tells me they don't have confidence in their product. I might even get rid of my front Michelin's just because they pissed me off.

Last edited by Justin-Sane; 06-04-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

My 2015 MPSSs give me high speed wobble. Only happens on concrete runways when I'm racing. Happened on 3 different race tracks, in 3 different states.

Cannot wait to get them off my car.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
My buddy had the deat wobble on his PSS on C6 Grand Sport, went thru different wheels and rotors, same problem. Got Contis and no problem

In april a C6 GS with SC and PSS had the death wobble and backed out of it at 160 at Mojave. He ran my PSS and did 202 in the 1.5 mile trap.

The PSS problem is real, but definitely tire dependent. I'm on my 2nd set with no probles on the PSS.
I was there to witness this in April. It's a real problem.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:28 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just got rid of a set of 6 year old MPSS, which were hard as rocks and the handling and straight line grip was terrible. Put on a new set of the MPS4s, and they are fantastic. Granted, I have only put on a few hundred miles on them, but this is my 4th Vette, and have changed tires many times. These are the most impressive tires, so far, I have ever had. So if you are in the market for new tires, don’t get what MPSS are left, they stopped making them more than a year and a half ago, and get the the new MPS4s. You won’t be sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To Do people still have problems with Pilot Super Sport tires on our cars?

Old 06-05-2018, 01:38 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

1-1/2 yrs, about 10-12k miles. Zero problems, I track a little & have had speeds up to 160.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting read here. I’m on my second set of MPSS’s and BOTH sets have had the death wobble. It’s a seriously violent, nasty wobble/shake for me at WOT. I literally can’t open the car up anymore in fear of ending up in a wall, into oncoming traffic or off the road.

What’s strange to me is when the second set of tires were first put on the car they were fine- I was relieved that the issue with the previous set was gone and I went through the gears several times with no issue. But, as time has passed the issue came back full circle.

Does anyone know for sure if there’s anything different in the composition/mold of the 4S’s that’s different than the MPSS? Point being, I love the 4S’s (have them on my DD) and really prefer to run them over any other tire but am I at risk for the same exact issue on them?? Anyone heard of this issue with the 4S’s?

Just FYI, both sets of tires have been 345/30/19’s and BOTH sets have had less than 7k miles on them. I plan on looking at the manf date after work tonight.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by Busa196; 01-11-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:10 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Neither of my sets of PSS had the death wobble and both ran over 190 MPH. Another fellow at Mojave in April 2018 had the death wobble on his set of PSS at 160 so I let him run mine after my 197 run when I swapped to my R888Rs to hopefully get more grip. He did two passes, 202.0 and 201.2 with no death wobble. My 2nd set must have 7-10K miles on them. 1st set mad in Feb 2011 and 2nd set early 2016 I think.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Do people still have problems with Pilot Super Sport tires on our cars?