Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MSD Intake Info (Stock vs Ported, MSD vs FAST, Mamo vs ??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:11 PM
RobGOV-DCZ
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Z 8 U
Below is my Before and After coming from stock MSD to Ported MSD. No other changes were made. Same dyno, wheels, tires, etc.. Tony is the man!

Also, for people asking about them holding boost. There is a local Twin Turbo z06 running around with one that makes over 1200whp on 23-25lbs of boost with no issues. These intake are very sturdy and I wouldn't have any reservations about them holding a lot of boost.

Here is my before/after graph

Attachment 48045968
Nice numbers! What setup are you running?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:05 PM
C5Z 8 U
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGOV-DCZ
Nice numbers! What setup are you running?
Thanks!

Pretty Basic setup:

BTR Stage 3 cam
Stock Ported/milled heads
BTR 660 springs
Mamo Ported MSD
102tb
ARH catless
flex fuel tuned on e85
stock modded exhaust
The following users liked this post:
RobGOV-DCZ (12-16-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:02 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Got my manifold the other day looks great in stealth black.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I am going to be forced into the Mamo MSD, NW TB and Halltech 108 very soon. Not having these essential items is really getting on my nerves.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks!

Pretty Basic setup:

BTR Stage 3 cam
BTR 660 springs
Mamo Ported MSD
102tb
ARH catless
flex fuel tuned on e85
stock modded exhaust
Nice! What compression?
Old 12-18-2016, 01:28 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Tony
looked at your website and didn't see any info on the manifold. How do you see pricing etc?
Old 12-18-2016, 05:13 PM
C5Z 8 U
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo2L
Nice! What compression?

Heads were milled 25 thousandths
Old 12-22-2016, 10:20 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
Tony
looked at your website and didn't see any info on the manifold. How do you see pricing etc?
PM or email me....still working on updates to the website

I will PM you now as well

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
Old 12-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Thanks!

Pretty Basic setup:

BTR Stage 3 cam
BTR 660 springs
Mamo Ported MSD
102tb
ARH catless
flex fuel tuned on e85
stock modded exhaust
Very nice results. Do you know what your peak timing degrees was during the dyno session? I am curious how high timing can go with such a set up and E85's added octane.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:22 PM
C5Z 8 U
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
Very nice results. Do you know what your peak timing degrees was during the dyno session? I am curious how high timing can go with such a set up and E85's added octane.
21* on e85 and 19* on 93. Wouldn't make any make any power with more timing so we left it there
Silver Bullet C6 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
I was a Marine Officer so I really respected a vendor who wouldn't put his name on something unless he believes in it, a quality that gets seared into officers...that our word and our signature is the "...special trust and confidence..." for why we were commissioned.
ArrrrrRAH
Old 07-31-2020, 08:09 PM
Eddiesalinas66
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported MSD

how can I get in contact with you so I can buy a ported MSD???????? Or would I have to buy the MSD and then ship it over to you?

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Guys,

I know this topic has been the subject of numerous threads but coming from my perspective, no matter how many independent threads come up with folks touting the gains from the work I did, so many people I speak with still question "Is it worth it....will I see a difference"....blah blah blah. I suspect this comes from a past history of buying mods that were underwhelming (or didn't work at all) when the smoke cleared which is certainly a sucky feeling after spending all the cash. I think that in some respects, guys that have been through this (no matter how much info is out there), the "Doubting Thomas" in most manages to get the upper hand unfortunately.

So with that out of the way if you are on the fence and need more convincing as to why you should be doing business with me I have some....LOL....but its a bit of a long read so grab a cup of your favorite beverage and enjoy

First topic....ported vs unported

I have touched on this numerous times in other threads so Im not going to spend alot of time here. The abridged version is the MSD is rough out of the box...some alot worse than others I might add. I have seen partial injector holes closed from plastic flashing....big mismatches from the runner to runner base transition. They are very much a moving target so the gains going from unported to ported will also be a moving target but so far I have three independent scenarios provided by my customers, two of them showing to be 20 or more horsepower gained from ported vs unported....the most recent showing close to double that (clearly his stock intake was one of the worst of the "moving targets" I mentioned earlier). Here is a copy of the dyno sheet that customer just provided me today. Same car....same dyno....same tuner....no other changes except removing his stock MSD and installing one of my ported MSD's instead.

That picture says a thousand words so there is no need to elaborate.

The other two situations can be found by clicking these links if you would like to see other independent validation of how worth it the porting is over a stock unported MSD

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orted-msd.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tony-mamo.html

2nd Topic (MSD vs Ported FAST)

Heard back from a well known tuner this morning after he recently swapped on one of my ported MSD intakes in place of a FAST

Also self explanatory and backing up many other customer testimonials I have handled in the last year that have had the opportunity to do the same (swap on a ported MSD in place of a ported FAST). The least power I have seen or heard about was 15 RWHP.....the most was 29 RWHP, and the rest was all in between those amounts in the low mid 20's similar to these results I heard or found out about this morning. Once again, if you have the time and would like to read more, this is another thread discussing the gains of my ported MSD versus the ported FAST with a handful of other results scattered in the thread as well (trying to keep this thread of reasonable length!)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...msd-gains.html

3rd Topic....Mamo Motorsports porting vs ??

Another hot topic if your sitting in my seat. I get calls that sound like this sometimes....."Well known shop XYZ sells a ported MSD and charges half of what you do to port it. Im sure it all works the same".

NO....it doesnt....and its usually apples and oranges. Just like all "ported heads" dont work the same, a ported manifold is only as good as the guy wielding the grinder. What is his background....how much R&D has been invested....how talented and consistent is he with the grinder. Lets face it there are a hundred variables here. I have been designing cylinder heads and intake manifolds for the better part of twenty years professionally....what are the qualifications of the guy at shop XYZ....is their specialty and expertise truly related to designing the most efficient "air paths". Especially working with these composite intakes.... I pioneered porting these FAST 90's and 92's back in 2004 when most shops were asking why and telling their customers you didnt have to. I could fill a garage with all the plastic I have removed from them over the years which brings me to my last show and tell of the day.

This is a bag of chips we just removed from an unported brand new MSD. I should say at least the bulk of which we could clean up off the bench top when we were through....some of it inevitably flies on your clothing and on the floor close by but this is what we swept off a clean work station after one brand new MSD LS7 intake was ported. In essence here is what "volume" of porting is required to add 20+ ponies to your bottom line! (Coke can inserted for "scale")

Its a significant amount of carefully/strategically removed material and it can take up to 10 hours to complete an intake from start to finish.

Now....here is a pile of plastic we removed from a customer's manifold that was previously "ported" (all sounds and reads the same) from a well know shop. Dont ask because I wont name names....it doesn't matter....I see this type of thing all the time.

Not much different right....its no surprise as this intake was just a "shine job".....it was sandrolled a couple of inches at the outlet and that's it. There was no real material removal....just enough done to hopefully have the unsuspecting customer not ask questions when he removed it from the box.

Will do one better....we weighed the chips in the exact same gallon size/brand ziplock bag

Essentially the other shop removed 5% of what we take out when we completely port an LS7 MSD intake. Was half the porting cost worth it? Hell you could have had more fun lighting those Ben Franklins on fire in front of your friends because you certainly didnt add any additional horsepower to your bottom line with the porting money you sent to shop XYZ

To be real honest I could be a lot more profitable charging half the money I normally do and only do 10% of the work right? I would sell a ton more manifolds and I could probably get through one of these intakes in well under an hour if that was what I was willing to put my name on and kick out the door. That's not what Im about and those of you that know me and have dealt with me (or followed my career over the years) know the pride and effort I invest in anything Im willing to put my name on. I try to offer you guys the best value and value doesnt always mean spending less money....in fact life has shown me it's usually just the opposite. Be willing to spend a little more if it gets you ALOT more....get the most benefit from the dollars you spend and sometimes that entails spending more dollars.

And that's IT....Im off my soap box....hope you guys enjoyed and learned a little from what I spent a fair bit of time writing tonight.....and if your reading this and own an LS7 powered hot rod and dont have my MSD intake yet....seriously....its the best power per dollar your likely to invest in your car. Keep in mind all the examples provided in this thread were ported MSD versus unported....ported MSD vs ported FAST....most of the guys Im helping with stock inductions are seeing in the vicinity of 40 RWHP or better on the more aggressive builds. Thats an incredible amount of power for a Saturday afternoon spent bolting on an intake manifold.....you guys need to be all over this.

One last example for you guys....here is a thread (and a dyno graph for the lazy) to see what kind of gains you can see going from a stock LS7 intake/TB to one of my ported MSD intakes on a fairly aggressive build (BTR Stg 4 etc.)

And the thread discussing those results if your wanting to read in more detail about the swap

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ort-gains.html

Guys, thanks for taking the time to read all this....did my best to stay on point and still cover all the ground I wanted to concerning the various topics I deal with often speaking to perspective customers about this intake and the porting itself.

If any of you have any questions, would like to get something ordered perhaps etc; dont hesitate to PM, email me, or pick up the phone.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 08-16-2022, 01:03 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Call Tony up he is in California and has the intake manifolds in stock (already ported) a lot the time. Mamo Motorsports.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:04 PM
Lag1791
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

So I'm planning on purchasing a Mamo ported IM for my 2006 Z06.
Current build specs are : Katech Car Serial #003
Katech fixed heads PNP skimmed 0.030" 11.5:1 CR
Katech Torquer 110 cam
1/7/8 headers, Catted x-pipe, Corsa Exhaust

Here are my dyno sheets. The Dynojet one was from the previous owner and was when I got the car in 2020. Car jerked a lot and was hard to drive at low speeds. I switched the clutch out to a Monster Lt-s dual disc and when I did I replaced the intake with a CORSA CF one. It flowed way more air than before (crappy old 1st gen Haltech that was cracked) and I got lean codes so the second Mustang dyno was from SLOWHAWK Performance which is considered one of the best LS tuners around my area. His tune is smooth as silk at low speed with same cam. Huge difference!

Anyway I asked him about doing the MSD IM and 103mm TB in the future. He really didn't say anything about the IM but he told me to stay away from the 103mm TB. Something about they are a bitch to tune. He stated that he does 1000hp builds using 90mm TB and it was not worth it to go to a larger TB. So I'm thinking of just going with the ported IM and stock TB. But it seems everyone goes with the 102/103 TB's. I don't get why my tuner would say what he did. Let me reiterate that this is one of the top east coast LS tuners who been on this scene for over 30years. If you google them you will see.

What are your thoughts on Stock TB vs 103mm on my build.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:25 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Lag1791
So I'm planning on purchasing a Mamo ported IM for my 2006 Z06.
Current build specs are : Katech Car Serial #003
Katech fixed heads PNP skimmed 0.030" 11.5:1 CR
Katech Torquer 110 cam
1/7/8 headers, Catted x-pipe, Corsa Exhaust

Here are my dyno sheets. The Dynojet one was from the previous owner and was when I got the car in 2020. Car jerked a lot and was hard to drive at low speeds. I switched the clutch out to a Monster Lt-s dual disc and when I did I replaced the intake with a CORSA CF one. It flowed way more air than before (crappy old 1st gen Haltech that was cracked) and I got lean codes so the second Mustang dyno was from SLOWHAWK Performance which is considered one of the best LS tuners around my area. His tune is smooth as silk at low speed with same cam. Huge difference!

Anyway I asked him about doing the MSD IM and 103mm TB in the future. He really didn't say anything about the IM but he told me to stay away from the 103mm TB. Something about they are a bitch to tune. He stated that he does 1000hp builds using 90mm TB and it was not worth it to go to a larger TB. So I'm thinking of just going with the ported IM and stock TB. But it seems everyone goes with the 102/103 TB's. I don't get why my tuner would say what he did. Let me reiterate that this is one of the top east coast LS tuners who been on this scene for over 30years. If you google them you will see.

What are your thoughts on Stock TB vs 103mm on my build.
The larger TB is the way to go to maximize the flow of the intake.....if you have a really mild build with a small cam a 90mm OEM ported TB (not out of the box) wont hurt you too much. Don't run an OEM stock unit.....throttle response sucks and your down even more on airflow.

My suggestion is a ported OEM unit for milder builds and a larger 103 for more aggressive builds or any build that you don't want to leave power on the table

The bigger TB is worth about 7 - 10 more ponies assuming you have the rest of the motor spec'ed properly and is even more responsive than a ported OEM unit

Call me if you would like to discuss this in more detail

Regards,
Tony
mgrotel (08-23-2022)

Quick Reply: [Z06] MSD Intake Info (Stock vs Ported, MSD vs FAST, Mamo vs ??)