Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New ground to solve starter slow crank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default New ground to solve starter slow crank?

My car never had the slow starter issue before the new ERL motor was put in. I now have the starter issue and nothing has changed it. I have checked all grounds, I replaced the starter, and the battery is putting out well over the 12V necessary(usually sitting around 13.5V).

Wondering if running an additional ground between the chassis and the block near the starter would help. Anyone try this? Anyway to tell if the stock cable has been damaged somehow: signs that may give away a break or damage through the insulation? This issue started with the new motor. Same headers re-installed as well. Headers on car for 2 years before new motor with no starter issue.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:12 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Slow to start once warm, or always slow to start cold or hot engine?
Old 12-08-2016, 04:10 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Slow to crank once warm. Not 100%, but more often than not when it is warm.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:04 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

New OEM starter or el cheapo? Also, did you replace the solenoid and all with the swap?

You shouldn't have to re-engineer the ground, stick with trying to source the problem. Are you certain all of the connections are clean? Best of luck, electrical demons are the most frustrating of all.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:46 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
New OEM starter or el cheapo? Also, did you replace the solenoid and all with the swap?

You shouldn't have to re-engineer the ground, stick with trying to source the problem. Are you certain all of the connections are clean? Best of luck, electrical demons are the most frustrating of all.
1st try was one of the "cheap-o" alternatives that has pretty decent reviews in this forum. OEM starter was replaced by that one. No change. Pulled it to get at all the ground connections in the area and OEM starter, new one from GM at big money price, installed. Same issue.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:10 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
1st try was one of the "cheap-o" alternatives that has pretty decent reviews in this forum. OEM starter was replaced by that one. No change. Pulled it to get at all the ground connections in the area and OEM starter, new one from GM at big money price, installed. Same issue.

I tried rebuilding mine its a no go even with a new solenoid.

It is a combination of things due to head and cam change for me. Ive been told to check the timing advance on start up.

It starts up great cold, so I'm heading to high torque gear reduction starter. Its a common problem for many and I didn't have a bit until I rebuilt the top end heads/cam.

On 13's this can be a rod bearing issue, but you would also notice low oil pressure.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:17 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you bump compression a ton? I raised mine half a point and it starts the same, but I suppose if someone went bonkers on compression it could start differently.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:27 PM
smitty1966
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car has headers and I killed one starter in about 12000 miles, then another in about 15,000 miles. Also noticed the cables were heat damaged, crumbling and brittle. Replaced them too and wrapped the starter and cables.
The following users liked this post:
BigMay60 (06-15-2021)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:42 PM
wjrive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solved my starter problems with a new Power Master XS mini-starter
and Heat wrap.........Hopefully that will be a long term cure!

Willie
Old 12-09-2016, 09:10 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by smitty1966
My car has headers and I killed one starter in about 12000 miles, then another in about 15,000 miles. Also noticed the cables were heat damaged, crumbling and brittle. Replaced them too and wrapped the starter and cables.
This is what I am worried about. I only put a tad over 10K miles on the starter with the headers before I had the issue with cylinder #7 that led to the new motor. There is a school of thought that says wrapping the starter and cables only leads to them getting hot slower and then keeping that heat in longer....Thoughts?

Originally Posted by wjrive
Solved my starter problems with a new Power Master XS mini-starter
and Heat wrap.........Hopefully that will be a long term cure!

Willie
My understanding is that most of the high torque starters don't fit on the LS7 with headers on it.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:21 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Over 17K 13Z and it has slow started when warm since mile 7...
Old 12-11-2016, 12:10 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

What's the clearance between the header tube and starter?

Insulate the starter, and wrap the header tube in that area.
I used a stick on reflective insulation, and wrapped the tube.

Fixed the same problem.
After I toasted one starter, and then had slow turning when hot.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:24 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

I've got 104,000 miles on my Z with headers and the original stock, uninsulated starter. It still cranks like it did when new. I wouldn't suffer a ton of paranoia if your starter cranks fine. Just sayin'...
Old 12-11-2016, 09:18 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by db2xpert
What's the clearance between the header tube and starter?

Insulate the starter, and wrap the header tube in that area.
I used a stick on reflective insulation, and wrapped the tube.

Fixed the same problem.
After I toasted one starter, and then had slow turning when hot.
I did have the headers Jet Hot ceramic coated during the recent engine installation. That was the only change made in terms of the starter-header area. The headers are the Pfadts and they are close, but not more so than other header systems I have seen.

Originally Posted by Undy
I've got 104,000 miles on my Z with headers and the original stock, uninsulated starter. It still cranks like it did when new. I wouldn't suffer a ton of paranoia if your starter cranks fine. Just sayin'...
Stater cranks fine on first start up, cold, then it gets a bit random once it gets warm. It always starts the car, but it is slow and even convincing of a dead battery at times....then it starts.....I definately has me a bit paranoid and I don't take the car places I used to(short errand type events with a nice drive to and from those places).
Old 12-11-2016, 05:41 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I did have the headers Jet Hot ceramic coated during the recent engine installation. That was the only change made in terms of the starter-header area. The headers are the Pfadts and they are close, but not more so than other header systems I have seen.

Stater cranks fine on first start up, cold, then it gets a bit random once it gets warm. It always starts the car, but it is slow and even convincing of a dead battery at times....then it starts.....I definately has me a bit paranoid and I don't take the car places I used to(short errand type events with a nice drive to and from those places).
for starters, no pun intended , i started some of my winter projects today.

First was to heat protect my starter, but more importantly to check the connections and grounds in that facinity.

Starter has never been pulled to my knowledge, but BOTH the starter connections, battery and motor lugs, were just BARELY snug. The ground wires attached to the block just behind the starter motor was tight, but connections were NOT clean, they were corroded..

I cleaned up all connections with a wire brush, then refastened the grounds after wrapping them with heat wrap. I also wrapped the starter w heat wrap as well. i believe this is preventative, no problems starting in 2 years w kooks long tubes, ceramic coated.

i also squeezed silicone dielectric into all the connections in that area to keep out moisture.

So, if you have any starter issues, first thing id ck would be all the connections, including the batt terminals. i run into this simple stuff all the time in the marine industry.... poor connections .
Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

I would also check the terminal by the engine fuse box sometimes the cable gets loose there too.

Get notified of new replies

To New ground to solve starter slow crank?

Quick Reply: [Z06] New ground to solve starter slow crank?