Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Are trunnion kits in the LS7 a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:08 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Default Are trunnion kits in the LS7 a good choice?

Can't find a whole lot on LS7 trunnion kits in recent posts, and am wondering what the general consensus (as of now, almost 2017) on using them in the LS7 are? They seem like a relatively inexpensive solution and as I'm researching who/how to have my heads rebuilt, I'm wondering if I should add these when I do the heads? I'm not really interested in changing rocker arms as I'm going to stay with the stock cam and my goal is to remain as original as I can.

I have read some older posts about one particular brand failing years ago? Are they durable and reliable? Is there a particular brand one would recommend? Do they help cut down on some of the "sewing machine" music that is typical of LS motors?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:34 PM
instg8er
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Installed them on my car when I did the cam upgrade... it's cheap insurance in my eyes.. Valvetrain is over looked a lot but can be a power robber in not done right!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:42 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

who's trunnion kit?

There are several.

Katech swears factory is good to go, I wont argue with that.

Comp Cams=never in a million years... Research how bad these kits are.

Straub/Colorado Speed/xxxxxxxxxxxxx... There are several kits that "appear" to all be made by the same person, which I believe is Straub. These are at home, DIY kits. A good option. There has been only 1 person who has taken theirs apart after some miles and saw some wear, but they werent even sure it was wear or just a bit of polishing. I dont think anything conclusive was decided. This is a newer, maybe a little over 1 year old option. I believe these are like 150-175 bucks.

CHE. These are the original bushing for the LS7 rockers as far as I know. The bushing material is slightly different than the Straub "type" kits. Supposedly has more zinc in it(better "lubricity" from what I know). There is also more to CHE's install than simply pressing in the bushing and snapping on a clip and calling it done. I believe they hone the rocker arm to true the bore. They also use spiral type snap ring instead of a normal c type snap ring to secure everything. Highest mileage I saw when I researched doing them was around 40k and the user reported they felt as tight as the day they installed them. I think I paid 400 for mine.

Those are probably the big 4 so to speak. I dont personally know of any other drop in kits.

Last edited by rjacobs; 12-10-2016 at 11:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigVette427 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 07:28 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

No trunion kit!!!! Keep them stock. There is NO trunion kit (bushed or needle bearing) out there with the reliability and longevity of the stock rocker. Katech specs them on their builds too. Don't be another board Lemming...
The following users liked this post:
BigVette427 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 03:05 PM
sean69cam
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished installing my heads that American heritage performance fixed. Original cam, rockers. To me the sewing machine sound is noticeably less. Hard to say how much. Before I could hear the sound 10 feet away. Now I have to get a foot or two to hear it.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know about board lemming..... but I do understand the thought. People still love the c5 Vararam.....

What I can tell you is that when we did my heads for new guides we took my rockers apart and several of the needles were pitted and in rough shape. One rocker pretty much fell apart on it's own when we went to do the Straub kit. You can call that whatever you want to but I call it glad that I did it when I did. And the Singer Sewing machine sound is noticeably lessened.

That said, I got the car at an auction. 42k miles. It was poorly treated but I really have no idea how poorly. Your experience will vary.

I have no idea how long the Straub kit will go, but I have a lot more confidence in it than I do the factory setup that came off.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 12-11-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
No trunion kit!!!! Keep them stock. There is NO trunion kit (bushed or needle bearing) out there with the reliability and longevity of the stock rocker. Katech specs them on their builds too. Don't be another board Lemming...
Old 12-11-2016, 10:02 PM
geezel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the middle of a AHP head reconditioning on my 30K mile 07 Z06. After much research, decided to stick with stock rockers. The original rockers appeared to be OK, but I bought a new set of GM's anyway.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:42 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
who's trunnion kit?

There are several.

Katech swears factory is good to go, I wont argue with that.

Comp Cams=never in a million years... Research how bad these kits are.

Straub/Colorado Speed/xxxxxxxxxxxxx... There are several kits that "appear" to all be made by the same person, which I believe is Straub. These are at home, DIY kits. A good option. There has been only 1 person who has taken theirs apart after some miles and saw some wear, but they werent even sure it was wear or just a bit of polishing. I dont think anything conclusive was decided. This is a newer, maybe a little over 1 year old option. I believe these are like 150-175 bucks.

CHE. These are the original bushing for the LS7 rockers as far as I know. The bushing material is slightly different than the Straub "type" kits. Supposedly has more zinc in it(better "lubricity" from what I know). There is also more to CHE's install than simply pressing in the bushing and snapping on a clip and calling it done. I believe they hone the rocker arm to true the bore. They also use spiral type snap ring instead of a normal c type snap ring to secure everything. Highest mileage I saw when I researched doing them was around 40k and the user reported they felt as tight as the day they installed them. I think I paid 400 for mine.

Those are probably the big 4 so to speak. I dont personally know of any other drop in kits.
Unless you have a 2007, stick with stock or CHE. Only reason I went to CHE is that I didn't like the side to side slop of the stock trunions, as minimal as that may be.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Has anyone reported premature wear with BTR trunnions? They haven't been mentioned in this thread and I don't recall reading about any failures.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Yes.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yes.
Who? When? How did they fail? Same way as Comp?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:15 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

He's been out of stock on his own "Comp Style" trunion kits for a while...I wonder if he's even going to start carrying them again, or just stick with selling the Smith kits.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:02 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Has anyone reported premature wear with BTR trunnions? They haven't been mentioned in this thread and I don't recall reading about any failures.
I used them on one car no problems. Talked to Brian T and he said his were made from a better grade of steel than the Comp ones. Went through a few sets of Comp Cams ones and they didn't last.
I now have the CHE rockers I got from WCCH, been on for over a year and they seem fine. Looks like the only options other than burning money is stock or CHE. I also had a set of Yella Terra shaft rockers with the roller tip. Roller tips were locking up and their warranty was a bitch to collect on.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tech
Who? When? How did they fail? Same way as Comp?
Saw a few post about it. Search around. Same way.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:50 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Since you are staying with a stock cam, keep the trunions stock. If you go with an aftermarket cam, keep the lift reasonable and keep the stock trunions.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Unreal
Saw a few post about it. Search around. Same way.
I searched when I bought my BTR trunnions and I just searched again. Didn't find anything. There are lots of Comp failure threads where BTR is mentioned, but the consensus of those threads were BTRs do not (or should not) experience the same premature wear. Clearly you're saying that BTR trunnions fail in the same way, but I have yet to find anything to support it. If you run across another, I'd love to read it.

Get notified of new replies

To Are trunnion kits in the LS7 a good choice?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:45 AM
instg8er
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

We have Always used Comp.. from 600rwhp NA to 1200s on twins..just my experience.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:43 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought and installed the BTR kit, which is similar to the Comp kit, after my stock bearings came apart. I found a few of the rollers on my magnetic drain plug and immediately pulled the rockers off and found one bearing completely gone.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:41 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
I bought and installed the BTR kit, which is similar to the Comp kit, after my stock bearings came apart. I found a few of the rollers on my magnetic drain plug and immediately pulled the rockers off and found one bearing completely gone.
From your BTR kit, or from your stock ones?

Last edited by MTPZ06; 12-13-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Are trunnion kits in the LS7 a good choice?