Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] boost or NA

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Joshua Detwiler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost or NA

Im looking for some outside input here; currently I have a Lunati Voodoo cam, Phadt Tri-Ys w/catless X pipe, MSD AirForce intake, attack blue filter in stock air intake, and "man switch" set up on my car. I had the heads reworked two years ago; when I did it, I didn't any additional CNC'ing and the deck was just resurfaces so compression is pretty close to the same, I did get a 5-angel valve job. I just bought another set of heads and are sending them off to be ported new valves/guides and a valve job. I'm going to rotate these heads with fresh guides probably every three years as I have read that "the fix" isn't a permanent fix!

Im only making 550 wheel HP and want more! my car is a daily driver spring/summer months only since I'm moving to CO from Las Vegas. For long term longevity is it in my best interests to keep NA and buy a less restrictive intake system and aftermarket mufflers or just go ahead and add a supercharger. I have wanted to go boost for a long time but have always just been too afraid to have a catastrophic failure. I see people making 800 whp on a stock bottom end, Im only wanting to make 700-750; I don't abuse my car by any means. I only plan in doing the Airstrip Attack once a year when it comes to pikes peak.

If I go boost route I will put on a meth kit, I don't want to be handcuffed to E85. Has anyone does this and had safe results; I know that any modification runs the risk of failure especially with a bad tune.

If I go boost; the vendors I use do not like the ECS kit, even though I see a lot of Zo6's making big power with them. I'm leaning to a A&A or procharger kit, I just want a self contained head unit and only run 6 lbs max.

what are your thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2016, 09:14 PM
rhinonm
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have d1sc with a medium cam, ah heads, full exhaust, and methanol. I run a 50:50 meth/water mix. The blower only pushes 5.5 psi and I am at 650 rwhp. I'm on this for 20k miles and nothing has broke yet....
Old 12-12-2016, 03:00 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua Detwiler
Im looking for some outside input here; currently I have a Lunati Voodoo cam, Phadt Tri-Ys w/catless X pipe, MSD AirForce intake, attack blue filter in stock air intake, and "man switch" set up on my car. I had the heads reworked two years ago; when I did it, I didn't any additional CNC'ing and the deck was just resurfaces so compression is pretty close to the same, I did get a 5-angel valve job. I just bought another set of heads and are sending them off to be ported new valves/guides and a valve job. I'm going to rotate these heads with fresh guides probably every three years as I have read that "the fix" isn't a permanent fix!

Im only making 550 wheel HP and want more! my car is a daily driver spring/summer months only since I'm moving to CO from Las Vegas. For long term longevity is it in my best interests to keep NA and buy a less restrictive intake system and aftermarket mufflers or just go ahead and add a supercharger. I have wanted to go boost for a long time but have always just been too afraid to have a catastrophic failure. I see people making 800 whp on a stock bottom end, Im only wanting to make 700-750; I don't abuse my car by any means. I only plan in doing the Airstrip Attack once a year when it comes to pikes peak.

If I go boost route I will put on a meth kit, I don't want to be handcuffed to E85. Has anyone does this and had safe results; I know that any modification runs the risk of failure especially with a bad tune.

If I go boost; the vendors I use do not like the ECS kit, even though I see a lot of Zo6's making big power with them. I'm leaning to a A&A or procharger kit, I just want a self contained head unit and only run 6 lbs max.

what are your thoughts?
Stay NA in my opinion...get a proper CAI (Halltech or Callaway) which you already mentioned; pull (and sell) the tri-y phadts in exchange for some ARH 2" LT's; have your new heads milled "mildly" at around .015 or .020 unless CO has crap gas (91 octane or less); and since you're pulling the heads, send the MSD to Tony Mamo for porting if it has not already been done. Don't know much about your current cam specs, but if you like it...stick with it. The head fix can last...provided the company doing the rebuild knows what they're doing.

As far as boost goes, yeah you could do it (as many have)...and you should do it in conjunction with meth to avoid any detonation. Knock with the LS7 is no joke...and under boost it may only take one bad incident to crack a sleeve. Again, IMO...stay NA.

Edit: and on the topic of your existing cam...it may or may not work well with boost. Depends on the amount of overlap.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 12-12-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Agreed with above.

Don't forget since NV is hot, to budget $1500+ for cooling upgrades if you want to drive the car any time its over 100F if you go boosted.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:06 AM
Joshua Detwiler
Instructor

Originally Posted by Unreal
Agreed with above.

Don't forget since NV is hot, to budget $1500+ for cooling upgrades if you want to drive the car any time its over 100F if you go boosted.
Im moving to CO this spring. When I did the headers my electrical connector melted and I didnt realize my electric fan wasnt kicking on until after I was replacing the single core for for a dual core and I saw it. Im half way there, just needs the dewitts radiator to go with it.

Anyways..... doing all that was mentioned above; whats the numbers that setup is capable of making? Im guessing low 600's?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Depends on fuel/octane/meth/e85 and how far you want to push it.

600-750 depending on those factors above.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

NA for those power levels. 600 RWHP Z will out perform a 650ish boosted Z any day. Plus you won't have the heating issues as was stated above. NA for sure.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Joshua Detwiler
Instructor

What about putting on a NANO nitrous system, just a 100 shot. I forgot to add that in the original post and if I stay NA I think I'm going that route.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

N2O great.

If you are really moving to high elevation, then my nod switches to FI. The 20%+ hit from living int he mountains is easily overcome with blower. 600rwhp up in CO is only going to be stock power levels.

Get notified of new replies

To boost or NA

Quick Reply: [Z06] boost or NA