Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need Help! Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:12 AM
BmanZ06
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need Help! Car will not start

Hey Guys, so I've ran into a little problem here with my 07 Z06. I was getting the "Service Charging System" on the dash so I replaced the alternator with a Mechman 170amp alternator. I bought a new battery and charged it before trying to crank it and once I put it in and cranked it, all you hear is the starter engage and the crank doesn't turn over. After the dash lights came on I noticed it showed the battery voltage at only 12 volts so then I Tried jumping it and it got up to 13 volts on the dash and still wouldn't turn over, but I could hear the starter engage everytime. Any ideas what it could be? I appreciate any help.

Last edited by BmanZ06; 01-05-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:42 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Battery to dead to start the car, and or shorted wiring.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:48 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Assuming that you are referring to volts and not amps, 12v should be enough to start the car. I don't know the MO on C6/LS7 starter reliability, but unless you had a short somewhere else, I would be looking at it next.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:00 AM
BmanZ06
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Assuming that you are referring to volts and not amps, 12v should be enough to start the car. I don't know the MO on C6/LS7 starter reliability, but unless you had a short somewhere else, I would be looking at it next.
Oh good catch on the amps, didn't notice that. And with the starter I have in the car right now, I literally just put in about a month ago so I don't if that would be it but maybe it's gone bad already, who knows. Guess I'll be looking at that and see if I can find a short anywhere in the wiring
Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

What you are describing is typical of a "loose" or "poor" connection.

Not sure if you've ever experienced this or not, but over time corrosion can build up between the high-load connections (battery terminals, grounds, etc.), and the symptom would be just as you described - enough current to flow for the dash or interior lighting, but not a solid enough connection to support the load starting a car requires.

From your post you imply everything was ok until your recent generator installation, so logically it makes sense to check the positive connection terminal on the generator (is it possible the new generator hasn't been charging the car or slowly charging it, and from driving around in this condition the battery has finally dropped below a level capable of starting the car? Something to think about..), as well as all the major points involved in supplying enough current to start the car.

If this literally started directly after replacing the battery (that's the only change), then focus on the terminal connections and the battery itself.

The dash meter and DIC display read in volts, not amps.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 01-05-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Does it turn over by hand?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 PM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Does it turn over by hand?