Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Re Importing a 2007 Z06 into the US

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Dave Tredinnick
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re Importing a 2007 Z06 into the US

I live in Dubai and have a 2007 Z06 with only 20,000 miles and would like to reimport it into the US. The car was obviously a GCC exported car as it has Arabic text on most of the labels, door jam, under the hood etc.

The problem is that there is no EPA sticker, I have looked on the passenger side of the hood and everywhere else. Were these cars mfg to US EPA standards and if they were how do I get the proper documentation to prove that so it can be reimported?

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Contacting EPA or GM via their website w/ question is all I can think of.

MIGHT try asking those who've served past/present in UEA what needs to be done. I'd guess GM manufactures all their vehicle engines the same regardless destination w/ exterior side markers, headlight washers an exception for Europe. Why it should be legal, stateside.

Will BTTT in hopes ME vets read it & offer some input.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

If the car was export only, you probably don't want to bring it back to the U.S as the amount of work to make it legal here may not be worth it. Why do I say this? I worked over in Saudi for many years. I had a '90' Vette which was a U.S. spec that somebody had shipped over previously from New Jersey. My friend had a '93' Vette which was a export only. He loved that car and was very adamant about wanting to bring it back. After talking to a number of knowledgeable people who knew about shipping vehicles and even talked to a GM official, he finally gave up. He did a lot of research on this. Seems that the amount of work/money to make it street legal in the US wasn't economically feasible. On the other hand, I sold my US spec. Vette to a friend of mine and he shipped it back with no problem. It is still on the road in North Carolina. To quantify this, we had another friend that had a late model Lincoln that he bought in Saudi, export model. He shipped the car back to Houston. Figured he could up grade to US spec when he got it back to the states. Well, that didn't happen as he found out the amount of work required far exceeded the value of the car. Long story short, he lost the car as it was never street legal to be registed in the US. Again, this was back in the early 2000 season. Have laws changed? Don't know but I'm sure if they did, it wouldn't be to benefit a situation like this. Just what I know about shipping vehicles into the US. Check it out carefully before you do this.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (01-09-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Dave Tredinnick
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I have decided to sell it here rather than stuffing it in my container to get it back to the US. Going thru the EPA and DOT testing would be too much of a hassle. Hopefully I can find another low mileage Z06!

Get notified of new replies

To Re Importing a 2007 Z06 into the US

Quick Reply: [Z06] Re Importing a 2007 Z06 into the US