Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] GMEPP warranty, is it worth it?

 
Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 PM
  #1  
Mrgusto
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 32
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default GMEPP warranty, is it worth it?

I have been looking at this coverage and wondering if anyone has used it.
It's pretty pricy and the Z06 seems pretty reliable after the heads are done.
I am not really sure it's worth it but it does seem to be pretty nice coverage. I plan on traveling a lot with the car and it would be nice to have the coverage of GM dealers across the country.

The car currently just turned over to 3000 miles. 2008 Z06

Thank you in advance for your input
Mrgusto is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:44 PM
  #2  
golfinz
CF Senior Member
 
golfinz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,087
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Will get lots of opinions here. I posted a similar question a few days back and here is what I gathered.

Most here will say skip the warranty and just fix the heads because the car is pretty reliable once done. The minority will say get the warranty and drive it worry free; if something happens to any part of the car, the GMEPP is pretty much all inclusive (I read the contract) and will cover the repair. I haven't decided which route I want to take. 2/24k is about 2300, 3/36k is about 3400 and if you pay someone to do the heads, it's about 3-4k installed (even got a quote for 4.9k lol).

edit: My recommendation: if you can fix the heads for <2k installed (ie: doing the work yourself), I would go that route and save the extra grand for misc. repairs. If you don't want to take on the project yourself, I would get the warranty.

Last edited by golfinz; 01-16-2017 at 07:49 PM.
golfinz is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 PM
  #3  
loflite
CF Senior Member
 
loflite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: new ulm mn
Posts: 1,415
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mrgusto View Post
I have been looking at this coverage and wondering if anyone has used it.
It's pretty pricy and the Z06 seems pretty reliable after the heads are done.
I am not really sure it's worth it but it does seem to be pretty nice coverage. I plan on traveling a lot with the car and it would be nice to have the coverage of GM dealers across the country.

The car currently just turned over to 3000 miles. 2008 Z06

Thank you in advance for your input
I have a 2008 Z with 11000 miles and bought the GMEPP. I haven't done the heads yet. If the heads were done, it would be a hard decision. I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time so that's why I decided to go with it. If I keep it, I'll have the heads redone after the warranty runs out. Unfortunately, it's a losing money game as these Z's can be bought for a song now. I keep it because I like it and I like that the electronics are covered too.
loflite is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 PM
  #4  
Mrgusto
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 32
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Will get lots of opinions here. I posted a similar question a few days back and here is what I gathered.

Most here will say skip the warranty and just fix the heads because the car is pretty reliable once done. The minority will say get the warranty and drive it worry free; if something happens to any part of the car, the GMEPP is pretty much all inclusive (I read the contract) and will cover the repair. I haven't decided which route I want to take. 2/24k is about 2300, 3/36k is about 3400 and if you pay someone to do the heads, it's about 3-4k installed (even got a quote for 4.9k lol).

edit: My recommendation: if you can fix the heads for <2k installed (ie: doing the work yourself), I would go that route and save the extra grand for misc. repairs. If you don't want to take on the project yourself, I would get the warranty.
Yea, I will do the heads regardless. I would go with the moldstar guides and titanium retainers. About 3k in all plus I will do the install myself.

Mainly concerned about other potential issues that may pop up while traveling and would have to have a shop do the potential repair.
Mrgusto is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 08:15 PM
  #5  
golfinz
CF Senior Member
 
golfinz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,087
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mrgusto View Post
Yea, I will do the heads regardless. I would go with the moldstar guides and titanium retainers. About 3k in all plus I will do the install myself.

Mainly concerned about other potential issues that may pop up while traveling and would have to have a shop do the potential repair.
Oh, well if you are planning to do the heads no matter what, then the powertrain part of the warranty is shot. I wouldn't get the warranty if you are 100% certain you will address the heads.

For reference, the GMEPP is different than the GMPP. The GMPP (the warranty that AHP is getting to pay for his heads) warranty is completely different than the GMEPP. The GMEPP is a GM product where as the GMPP was an Ally product. The GMEPP can only be used at GM dealers.

Last edited by golfinz; 01-16-2017 at 08:32 PM.
golfinz is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 PM
  #6  
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Harbor City California
Posts: 1,885
Liked 336 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Oh, well if you are planning to do the heads no matter what, then the powertrain part of the warranty is shot. I wouldn't get the warranty if you are 100% certain you will address the heads.

For reference, the GMEPP is different than the GMPP. The GMPP (the warranty that AHP is getting to pay for his heads) warranty is completely different than the GMEPP. The GMEPP is a GM product where as the GMPP was an Ally product. The GMEPP can only be used at GM dealers.
We have replaced heads through GMEPP as well as GMPP.

As stated above GMEPP and GMPP are two different company's, we work with both of them as well as many other aftermarket warranty companys

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
310-326-2399

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
American Heritage is online now  
The following 2 users liked this post by American Heritage:
golfinz (01-16-2017), MTPZ06 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:36 PM
  #7  
golfinz
CF Senior Member
 
golfinz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,087
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Interesting. I know you have a very good, and unique, relationship with the GMPP/GMEPP people but I don't think they will allow everyone to use their shop of choice. For reference, here is the exact quote from the warranty:

BREAKDOWN OF COVERED PARTS

During the term of this Contract, We will pay or reimburse You, an authorized Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac dealership or if an authorized Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac dealership is not accessible any licensed repair facility for approved costs to repair or replace any Breakdown of all parts as explained in the Schedule of Coverages. All repairs or replacements will be made using only genuine OEM new or genuine OEM remanufactured parts unless otherwise authorized by You or where such parts are not reasonably available as determined by the Administrator.

edit: It's hard for me to imagine that GM would authorize a repair outside of their shop if they have a dealership, and service center, near by. Wonder how one could get around this?

Last edited by golfinz; 01-16-2017 at 11:40 PM.
golfinz is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:41 PM
  #8  
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 10,927
Liked 991 Times in 684 Posts
Default

If you are going to drive the corvette..then hell yes purchase the gmepp...if it's just going to sit in your garage why bother?

Actually sitting and not being driven is the worst thing for any car especially corvettes...definitely buy gmepp for the crap that might crop up ..although rotted gaskets might not make the list ..ask questions on what's not covered to decide if the gmepp will cover the ravages of non usage..

For the love of god...don't do the heads..it's the biggest scam being played out on z06 owners...the test was never done correctly on 99.9 percent of the cars people thought they needed to repair their ls7 heads..just buy the warranty with a hundred dollar deductible for as many months and the least mileage possible...you don't even drive the car....

I never let my cars just sit so I honestly couldn't tell you whether it makes sense for a vehicle stored away....

Would make sense for resale to another and if you don't use the warranty they will pro rate it back to you...should want to get your money back...

Seems like a smart move? Buy from a forum vendor here..I think you will find their pricing is the best

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-16-2017 at 11:43 PM.
JerriVette is online now  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 PM
  #9  
outhouse
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Auburn Ca
Posts: 3,882
Liked 144 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
For the love of god...don't do the heads..it's the biggest scam being played out on z06 owners


stop trolling


You have no credibility here
outhouse is offline  
The following users liked this post: outhouse
MTPZ06 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:43 AM
  #10  
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MTPZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Honolulu HI
Posts: 12,927
Liked 1,169 Times in 1,036 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
For the love of god...don't do the heads..it's the biggest scam being played out on z06 owners...the test was never done correctly on 99.9 percent of the cars people thought they needed to repair their ls7 heads..just buy the warranty with a hundred dollar deductible for as many months and the least mileage possible...you don't even drive the car....
Quite the statistician aren't you? You're bs numbers are always worth a chuckle...

How about you give is some more numbers?

1. How many LS7 cylinder heads have you personally, physically inspected with your own two hands?

2. How many miles do you have on your own personal C6Z?

3. What was the outcome of your valve guide inspection on your own cylinder heads, on your personal C6Z?

MTPZ06 is online now  
Old 01-17-2017, 04:18 AM
  #11  
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Harbor City California
Posts: 1,885
Liked 336 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Interesting. I know you have a very good, and unique, relationship with the GMPP/GMEPP people but I don't think they will allow everyone to use their shop of choice. For reference, here is the exact quote from the warranty:

BREAKDOWN OF COVERED PARTS

During the term of this Contract, We will pay or reimburse You, an authorized Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac dealership or if an authorized Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac dealership is not accessible any licensed repair facility for approved costs to repair or replace any Breakdown of all parts as explained in the Schedule of Coverages. All repairs or replacements will be made using only genuine OEM new or genuine OEM remanufactured parts unless otherwise authorized by You or where such parts are not reasonably available as determined by the Administrator.

edit: It's hard for me to imagine that GM would authorize a repair outside of their shop if they have a dealership, and service center, near by. Wonder how one could get around this?
Good point we do have a Unique relationship with GMEPP and GMPP. Many other shops may not have the same relationship.
Sometimes a GM service center calls for help and the service centers advisor will call someone he trusts.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 01-17-2017 at 04:20 AM.
American Heritage is online now  
The following users liked this post: American Heritage
golfinz (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 11:24 AM
  #12  
geno01
CF Senior Member
 
geno01's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Carlisle Pa.
Posts: 224
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by outhouse View Post
stop trolling


You have no credibility here
Why is he a Troll. Member since 2003, 2,400 posts. Maybe because he does not have the same opinion as you? From what I have read some of the wiggle tests were not done correctly. Not 99.9 percent but a lot.
geno01 is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 AM
  #13  
golfinz
CF Senior Member
 
golfinz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,087
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Maybe this is his approach to the whole thing: It's evident/obvious that a loose/wiggly valve is a bad thing. But a loose/wiggly valve doesn't 100% equate to a destined failure.

That doesn't make him a troll. On almost every car forum, there is the "thing" that causes the members to go crazy. The c6z = guides/valves. The c5z = springs. The 03 cobras had the cylinder 7 heat issue. E46 M3s = smg.

People can believe what they want about each one of these because of course the population of cars on the forum vs the rest of the world is very small (probably less than 1%) and they might not think it's a big deal. But for those that like to read into these issues and address them, enthusiast sites like this one are pure gold!

edit: I for one am hesitant to open a motor that is running well. Because of this, the topic of the GMEPP warranty, and other peoples experience with it, are great feedback!

Lets try to keep this thread on track

Last edited by golfinz; 01-17-2017 at 11:46 AM.
golfinz is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM
  #14  
patron1992
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Orange City Florida
Posts: 176
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

The GMPP had more pros than cons for me. The coverage made sense when they cover power train, electronics, ac components, interior. I paid $2400 for peace of mind. If i ever have exhaust valve issues, I will have the car towed to GM and request them to be sent off to AHP.
patron1992 is offline  
The following users liked this post: patron1992
golfinz (01-17-2017)
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] GMEPP warranty, is it worth it?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: