Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] head reinstall valve question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 AM
gameover4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default head reinstall valve question

about to reinstall my heads and wondering on procedure for valve install. i found this one below. is it that simple? no 1/4 turn past zero lash or feeler gauge distance? just turn crank right position and torque?

1) Install the rocker arms and bolts, Ensure the pushrods seat properly to the ends of the rocker arms, Lubricate Everything.

2) Rotate the crankshaft until number one piston is at top dead center of compression stroke.

In this position, cylinder number one rocker arms will be off lobe lift, and the crankshaft
sprocket key will be at the 1:30 position.

The camshaft and crankshaft sprocket alignment
marks will be in the 12 o'clock positions.

If viewing from the rear of the engine, the
additional crankshaft pilot hole, non-threaded, will be in the 10:30 position.

The engine firing order is 1, 8, 7, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3.

Cylinders 1, 3, 5 and 7 are left bank.
Cylinders 2, 4, 6, and 8 are right bank.

3. With the engine in the number one firing position, tighten the following valve rocker arm bolts:
Tighten exhaust valve rocker arm bolts 1, 2, 7, and 8 to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
Tighten intake valve rocker arm bolts 1, 3, 4, and 5 to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

4. Rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees.

5. Tighten the following valve rocker arm bolts:
Tighten exhaust valve rocker arm bolts 3, 4, 5, and 6 to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
Tighten intake valve rocker arm bolts 2, 6, 7, and 8 to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

None of the lash stuff because we have hydraulic cams and non adjustable rockers.

I have done it many times following the order above as well as just torquing everything down to 22ft lbs at once.....never made a difference. I've even experimented, torqued it all at once then rotated the engine according above and rechecked all values....none changed
Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 AM
gameover4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

so your saying the live where they live once torque? so even putting crank at tdc isnt important?
Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Yes there's no lash adjustment. That's only on a solid roller car or if you have adjustable rockers. It's a maintanence free system.

And yes some people swear by doing the rotating deal and on old motors it is mecesssary. However the dozens of times I've done rockers it's never mattered in any ls. I would use a little blue loctite though either way you do it on the bolts
Old 01-17-2017, 11:24 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Yes there's no lash adjustment. That's only on a solid roller car or if you have adjustable rockers. It's a maintanence free system.

And yes some people swear by doing the rotating deal and on old motors it is mecesssary. However the dozens of times I've done rockers it's never mattered in any ls. I would use a little blue loctite though either way you do it on the bolts
Wait so you are saying you tighten the rockers down even if the lifters are not on the base circle of the cam?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:44 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Yes, is it the book way? No... will someone jump in here and tell me I'm wrong, 100% yes. Does that change the facts that lots of people including myself have done it this way for years and it makes no difference even after testting both methods? No it doesnt
Old 01-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by gameover4
so your saying the live where they live once torque? so even putting crank at tdc isnt important?
I never had a problem on LS1 engines, although I had a friend work on something I worked on and he said a couple were loose. With my LS7, I re-checked the rockers after a heatcycle and found one loose. I have good torque wrenches. If you choose to "just torque" to 22ft lbs, I suggest you plan on checking them after the engine has warmed up at a minimum.

However, I believe TDC is the right way and will use it moving forward exclusively.

Last edited by Tech; 01-17-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:49 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Yes, is it the book way? No... will someone jump in here and tell me I'm wrong, 100% yes. Does that change the facts that lots of people including myself have done it this way for years and it makes no difference even after testting both methods? No it doesnt
Not arguing it. If it works it works.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Not arguing it. If it works it works.

Some are worried about stripping the alloy threads in the head, that is the only reason to place the cam on its base.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:45 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by gameover4
is it that simple? .

No

You need to set preload for lifters and may require different length pushrods.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
Some are worried about stripping the alloy threads in the head, that is the only reason to place the cam on its base.
That doesn't seem likely unless your pushrods are severely oversized.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:53 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I was wondering about this procedure as well the last week in particular, as I'm trying to learn everything I can about the R&R procedure for my own head swap. I reached out to Kohle at AHP and he pointed to his DIY on performing a wiggle test as to the process that he uses for reattaching the rocker arms. Kohle also said that technically per the GM procedure, you're supposed to pull an engine in order to swap a cam, and I know from first hand experience, contrary to what the GM procedure says, I don't in fact have to drop my exhaust just to change my clutch fluid.

If the rocker arm your tightening is not on base circle when you tighten it you run the risk of tightening the rocker arm crooked or off center. To avoid this tighten the rocker finger tight then physically center the rocker tip on the valve as you tighten. Then torque each rocker arm (22ft/lbs if using stock springs or 24 ft/lbs if using aftermarket springs) We like to paint mark our rocker arm bolts after torqueing (visual confirmation of torqueing)
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...552rwhp-2.html
Old 01-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

It's common sense to place the cam on the base circle; trying to tighten the rocker arm bolt against spring pressure is just a bad practice. You don't need to be an ASE certified mechanic to appreciate this.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:16 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Making sure the rocker is straight centered is obviously important. I have had rockers on and off many times without moving to the base circle and never had an issue.

Do whatever lets you sleep at night !!!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:32 PM
redbird555
Drifting

I've probably had rockers off an ls engine 20 times. Did the base circle thing once and never again unless t was to check. I get why people do it but it's certainly not necessary. To each his own though. If I had double PAC springs with 470lb of open pressure I'd probably do the base circle thing though. But for btr duals, psi and stock it's not an issue

Get notified of new replies

To head reinstall valve question

Quick Reply: [Z06] head reinstall valve question