Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Advice on my next corvette

Old 02-06-2017, 11:11 AM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Advice on my next corvette

Hello all,

Im currently driving a 2003 z06 and as much as i love it i feel the need for more excitement.

im stuck on either modding my 2003 or upgrading to a C6 Z51, C6 grand sport or just maybe saving a little more and getting the c6 z06.

Honestly as much as i love the c6 z06 i think it would be my last choice because it seems reliability is the worse of the 3 and with simple mods to the ls3 it would match that of the ls7. Now, going to the track would be a different story but i dont track so thats another reason im keeping a distance from the z06.

maybe some of you guys here can shed some light on the reliability of your c6 z06? i was reading alot of issues with blown engines and valve guide issues before 2011??

Last edited by RomanNYC; 02-06-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

The only real reliability issue is the exhaust guides wearing prematurely, dropping a valve and then boom goes the motor. So if you buy one, confirm that the heads have been addressed. If not, have them fixed soon after buying, so take that into consideration when budgeting for the vehicle. All LS7s are affected by this issue, regardless of year. However GM claims they implemented a 100% inspection process at some point. I wouldn't trust them. Regardless of year, if it is an LS7, get the heads checked.

The fix at a reputable shop will cost between $2000 - $3000. You can also pull your heads yourself, or have a mechanic do it and send them to AHP. They will send you back replacement, fixed heads for about $1500. $1800 for heads with Moldstar 90 guides.

This is also a good time to put some go-fast parts on it. Like headers, cam, intake.
The following users liked this post:
RomanNYC (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:15 PM
golfinz
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
The only real reliability issue is the exhaust guides wearing prematurely, dropping a valve and then boom goes the motor. So if you buy one, confirm that the heads have been addressed. If not, have them fixed soon after buying, so take that into consideration when budgeting for the vehicle. All LS7s are affected by this issue, regardless of year. However GM claims they implemented a 100% inspection process at some point. I wouldn't trust them. Regardless of year, if it is an LS7, get the heads checked.

The fix at a reputable shop will cost between $2000 - $3000. You can also pull your heads yourself, or have a mechanic do it and send them to AHP. They will send you back replacement, fixed heads for about $1500. $1800 for heads with Moldstar 90 guides.

This is also a good time to put some go-fast parts on it. Like headers, cam, intake.
Another option, if you don't plan on modding, would be to get the GMEPP warranty. It doesn't directly address the valves, but provides the car is warrantied if something does happen.

Regarding the cost to fix. 2k to fix is pretty understated from my research. I went went with the warranty route when I bought my Z, but before going that route, I shopped prices to have the heads fixed and no one was under $3k installed. Most were closer to $4k. Since I wasn't going to mod the car, I opted for a 2/24 warranty for $2,200. I tend to flip cars a lot so once I hit the 2/24 mark, I will decide to either mod the car (heads/cam) or sell for something else (the Alfa Gullia looks awesome!).

Other than that, there is nothing like being in a z06. I also considered a GS, but at the end of the day, I would've had buyers remorse in a GS over a Z. Coming from the c5z world (have had 3 of them), the c6z is in a class of its own and once you address the heads, either with aftermarket parts or a warranty, the Z is ready to rock

Last edited by golfinz; 02-06-2017 at 01:16 PM.
RomanNYC (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:40 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I've owned a 2006 Z06 for almost 5 years now. 2 sets of tires, oil changes every year, and new heads/cam/headers/tune. Spent $5000 in 5 years. Not too bad. I don't actually remember doing anything to it last year except oil change. Pretty reliable car if you ask me.
golfinz (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:48 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I've owned a 2006 Z06 for almost 5 years now. 2 sets of tires, oil changes every year, and new heads/cam/headers/tune. Spent $5000 in 5 years. Not too bad. I don't actually remember doing anything to it last year except oil change. Pretty reliable car if you ask me.
when you say new heads did you go after market for better performance or just preventative maintenance?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 PM
philpacs
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

The CZ is awesome but if non-track excitement is all you want then go with a GS and slap a supercharger on it or another turbo car where you can enjoy the boost. Leave the CZ's for the rest of us.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

3 C6Z's here. Heads done on all but 1 including other mods and have done some tracking. I wouldn't let reliability be a concern at all with these cars. Of course this means still do your due diligence on selecting 1.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:59 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I recently sold my built C5Z and when I say built, I mean I could have probably bought two C6Z's.... but then again, I owned my C5Z for 9 yrs.... so as you can imagine I did a lot of modding. I thoroughly enjoyed the car. However, like you and many others I wanted to start with a different platform "hence" the C6Z upgrade. In retrospect, I would not have dumped all of that $ into my C5Z... I would have purchased the C6Z after a few years of enjoying the C5Z and opting to mod the new one. That's me.... I don't regret it, but if I could have changed it I would have. C6Z's are becoming much more affordable now... I picked up my 08Z w 20K miles... for < $40K... and its a 3LZ w linen interior to boot. I will have mine delivered this Sunday! tomorrow is my 52nd Bday and I had hoped to have it by then... Oh, well better late than never. Do yourself a favor and step up to this 427.... a few little mods and it's an NA beast.... the same mods to a C5Z, not so much.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:04 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
I recently sold my built C5Z and when I say built, I mean I could have probably bought two C6Z's.... but then again, I owned my C5Z for 9 yrs.... so as you can imagine I did a lot of modding. I thoroughly enjoyed the car. However, like you and many others I wanted to start with a different platform "hence" the C6Z upgrade. In retrospect, I would not have dumped all of that $ into my C5Z... I would have purchased the C6Z after a few years of enjoying the C5Z and opting to mod the new one. That's me.... I don't regret it, but if I could have changed it I would have. C6Z's are becoming much more affordable now... I picked up my 08Z w 20K miles... for < $40K... and its a 3LZ w linen interior to boot. I will have mine delivered this Sunday! tomorrow is my 52nd Bday and I had hoped to have it by then... Oh, well better late than never. Do yourself a favor and step up to this 427.... a few little mods and it's an NA beast.... the same mods to a C5Z, not so much.

i agree, i was about to drop 8-10k in mods but than i thought why not just buy the c6. after looking at the auctions im set on the c6 z06.

if anyone here is interested in a c5 z06 very clean low miles check it out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ior-stock.html
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Nobody wants a C5Z over here, most of us have gotten rid of ours.

$8,$10K invested in the newer C6Z,GS,C6 ( in that order would be money better spent)

PM me if you want me to turn you on to an 08 LS3 based C6 that already has go fast parts on it... I was tempted until I drove a couple of my buddies C6Z's.....

Originally Posted by RomanNYC
i agree, i was about to drop 8-10k in mods but than i thought why not just buy the c6. after looking at the auctions im set on the c6 z06.

if anyone here is interested in a c5 z06 very clean low miles check it out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ior-stock.html
Old 02-07-2017, 04:31 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Nobody wants a C5Z over here, most of us have gotten rid of ours.

$8,$10K invested in the newer C6Z,GS,C6 ( in that order would be money better spent)

PM me if you want me to turn you on to an 08 LS3 based C6 that already has go fast parts on it... I was tempted until I drove a couple of my buddies C6Z's.....
thanks but i will go for the z06, not have to worry about regrets after
Old 02-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Sean_C
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

thanks but i will go for the z06, not have to worry about regrets after
​​​​​​​thats the smart thing to do....I always wanted a z06 and when the time came to start looking I started second guessing and thinking of maybe getting a base c6 or even a GS to save a few dollars....but after really thinking about it I decided to just go with my gut and get the car that I always dreamed about, the z06....iam soo glad I went ahead and got it too cuz it's everything I thought it was gonna be and more....I also drove a buddies stock ls2 c6 and there is just no comparison, it's night and day from the performance to the looks....GL finding ur Z man is out there
RomanNYC (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 06:00 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I knew early on that I would replace my C5Z Z16 with a C6Z at some point...even with the valve guide drama. I don't think a C6 or C6 GS would have scratched the itch.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:17 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

13Z original owner (stock) with 17k+ oil changes that's it...Could it go BOOM. I suppose it could. Good luck OP
Old 02-07-2017, 06:58 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
I knew early on that I would replace my C5Z Z16 with a C6Z at some point...even with the valve guide drama. I don't think a C6 or C6 GS would have scratched the itch.
You cant go from a Z06 to anything but another Z06 (or ZR1). Had my '03 C5Z for many years, never considered selling it. Picked up my C6Z about 5 yrs ago, parked it next to my C5Z...and my C5Z sat for 3 months without moving an inch, and I sold it to a buddy. Did I miss it, sure...but I enjoyed the C6Z WAY more.
danziger (02-08-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

when you say new heads did you go after market for better performance or just preventative maintenance?
I just did the preventative maintenance thing. No porting, polishing or anything, just bronze guides and SS exhaust valves. I wasn't looking for big hp numbers.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
You cant go from a Z06 to anything but another Z06 (or ZR1). Had my '03 C5Z for many years, never considered selling it. Picked up my C6Z about 5 yrs ago, parked it next to my C5Z...and my C5Z sat for 3 months without moving an inch, and I sold it to a buddy. Did I miss it, sure...but I enjoyed the C6Z WAY more.
As much as I loved my C5Z, I knew early on in ownership (the C6Zs had just come out) that I would eventually move to a C6Z. It took a while as life got in the way and I took my time shopping, but I have no regrets. The only two things I miss are:

The hard-top/trunk appearance and functionality.

The raw/visceral feel.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on my next corvette

Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 PM
winzerguy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Go For The C6 Z06

Hello all,

Im currently driving a 2003 z06 and as much as i love it i feel the need for more excitement.

im stuck on either modding my 2003 or upgrading to a C6 Z51, C6 grand sport or just maybe saving a little more and getting the c6 z06.

Honestly as much as i love the c6 z06 i think it would be my last choice because it seems reliability is the worse of the 3 and with simple mods to the ls3 it would match that of the ls7. Now, going to the track would be a different story but i dont track so thats another reason im keeping a distance from the z06.

maybe some of you guys here can shed some light on the reliability of your c6 z06? i was reading alot of issues with blown engines and valve guide issues before 2011??

I have had 2 C6 Z06 Corvettes. I had a 2006 that I drove for 156,000 miles and have had a 2013 that I have driven 87,000 miles. I have never had ANY engine, transmission or clutch issues. I have never "tracked" either of them and feel very confident that if the LS7 os not modified, there is no real need to worry. Those that fine 505hp is not enough will have to pay the price and that is a choice. I love my current Corvette and do not have any desire for a C7. The biggest cost you will have will be for tires, IMHO.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM
RomanNYC
Racer

Originally Posted by winzerguy
I have had 2 C6 Z06 Corvettes. I had a 2006 that I drove for 156,000 miles and have had a 2013 that I have driven 87,000 miles. I have never had ANY engine, transmission or clutch issues. I have never "tracked" either of them and feel very confident that if the LS7 os not modified, there is no real need to worry. Those that fine 505hp is not enough will have to pay the price and that is a choice. I love my current Corvette and do not have any desire for a C7. The biggest cost you will have will be for tires, IMHO.
Thats amazing, yeah i dont plan to do any mods/ track days either.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
As much as I loved my C5Z, I knew early on in ownership (the C6Zs had just come out) that I would eventually move to a C6Z. It took a while as life got in the way and I took my time shopping, but I have no regrets. The only two things I miss are:

The hard-top/trunk appearance and functionality.

The raw/visceral feel.
I'm glad someone else mentioned the raw/visceral feel of the C5 cause I thought I was nuts for being the only only who felt that way. The C6Z is a beast, no doubt, but the wide body, the way the hood looks from the driver's seat, and cushier interior helps it lose that raw race car feel, so I know what you mean by that...not that it's a bad thing at all, just different. I never sold my C5 just for that reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Advice on my next corvette