Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 MSD intake / loose injectors

Old 02-21-2017, 08:17 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts
Default LS7 MSD intake / loose injectors

Basically when I go to push my injectors into the bores they get down to the level where the intake seal is and then there is a bit of a void ( a small gap separated by the gasket between the clam). The injectors are tight until they get to this position which is fully seated. They are very loose and would not hold a vacuum.

Has anyone seen this? What did you do? Obviously bigger o-rings would be a possible solution. The stockers are pretty tight in the bores before they get to that gap so how much bigger I don't know and who would you call to order them.

So frustrated with the extremely low quality of the MSD intake. I mean damn. I feel like I'm back in 1970 when aftermarket meant "half assed and good luck"...
Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow that sucks. Yet another quality issue. Pretty sad...
Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

I am just hoping its an easy fix that I am making more difficult than it has to be. I cannot be the only person to experience this.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by User Omega
I am just hoping its an easy fix that I am making more difficult than it has to be. I cannot be the only person to experience this.
Maybe u just need new stock o rings? Perhaps yours took a little set.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

They are all brand new. Stock size. Is there a normal used size than stock LS7 size?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

They are all brand new. Stock size. Is there a normal used size than stock LS7 size?
Oh I dunno then.... Sounds like you may need to talk to MSD.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Like I said, they are really tight in the bores going into the intake. Its when they are seated, they are loose. No tension at all on several of them.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

I plan on calling MSD tomorrow when they open. I am just not looking forward to what they may tell me. I have a decent amount of money invested in the porting and direct port nitrous setup...
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Like I said, they are really tight in the bores going into the intake. Its when they are seated, they are loose. No tension at all on several of them.
Sounds like a possible molding shrink issue to me. I design injection molded parts for a living. Might want to try some other injectors if you know someone who has some.

I just placed an order for a mamo msd a few min ago lol. I hope I don't have this problem. Tony has the most experience with these. I'd ask him.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:36 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

I plan on calling MSD tomorrow when they open...

Wont do any good.

Your injectors should seal in the plastic bore before they bottom out.

What you are feeling is,,,,,, your pushing the injector oring past its sealing point and there is a gap right now where the clamshell injector gasket is.

I would bet your installing them off the car.

Once you install the manifold the 10 manifold to head bolts tighten up that slack and shorten that gap greatly.

Once its tightened the injector will bottom out AND the Oring will still be in the bore sealing as it should.

Have any questions PM me, but you will see what I'm talking about after its installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by outhouse:
Matt Zed (03-03-2022), User Omega (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:23 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by outhouse
Wont do any good.

Your injectors should seal in the plastic bore before they bottom out.

What you are feeling is,,,,,, your pushing the injector oring past its sealing point and there is a gap right now where the clamshell injector gasket is.

I would bet your installing them off the car.

Once you install the manifold the 10 manifold to head bolts tighten up that slack and shorten that gap greatly.

Once its tightened the injector will bottom out AND the Oring will still be in the bore sealing as it should.

Have any questions PM me, but you will see what I'm talking about after its installed.

You are correct. I will install it on the car to see how it works out.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

I can't visualize what the "issue" is here. Maybe it'll make sense once I get my intake.

Hopefully you figured it out at least.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:20 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

If you look at this image you can see the gasket that goes between the clam. You can see that the injector bores are actually 2 pieces. An upper and a lower. The gasket isn't very thin and doesn't fit the bore perfectly so what is happening here is that even though I have all of the outside bolts tightened down, the clam isn't clamping fully on the gasket that goes in between the bore sections. When I install my injector into the bore (off of the car), it presses down to where the gasket is and there is a gap there allowing the injector to be loose.

What outhouse is saying is that when you install the intake mounting - head bolts, it will clamp the gasket down and decrease the gap where the gasket is. Thus keeping the injector in the bore of the upper part of the clam because the injector will bottom out before getting into the gap area. I am hoping that this is my problem and it does seem logical. I will return with feedback either tonight or tomorrow night.

The following users liked this post:
Matt Zed (03-02-2022)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:50 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

You have it down cold, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

You will see with the clamshell bolts loktighted that the injector gasket is actually loose off the car and you can move it around almost freely with a small screwdriver.

Once its bolted on the car its gets squished at that point, to the point of you did not deburr the casting marks on the injector seat you will end up cutting the clamshell gasket.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Interesting. Looking forward to what you find. Everyone says you need to pull the intake to retorque clamshell bolts after a couple heat cycles anyways, so you could test the theory
Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

I have run into that issues.... Buy fast injectors spacer. Used them, that will seal properly.
Do 4 aluminum spacers to jack up the fuel rail the same level. A bit of job, but that work perfect.

Hope this help,

Seb
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 03:10 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I could tell a difference when installing fuel rain with intake on the car versus off the car. Plus putting on the fuel rail after the manifold is already installed gives a little more room for the two rear manifold to head bolts...at least for me it was much easier to get to them and tighten

Last edited by ChevyCobb; 02-22-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:57 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

So install injectors and rail AFTER installing intake? I did my fast setup off the car and it worked fine.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rio95
So install injectors and rail AFTER installing intake? I did my fast setup off the car and it worked fine.
Yes, I also did my FAST rails off the car. Much higher quality there. I did not get to installing the intake the last couple days. A slight delay here figuring out the steam vent deal.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 MSD intake / loose injectors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 MSD intake / loose injectors