Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z06 Gears Grinding When Stopping or Rev Matching

Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 PM
VelocitasAngelus
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C6 Z06 Gears Grinding When Stopping or Rev Matching

Background:
This is my first time posting on here. I have been reading CF for years, ever since I bought my C6 Z06 in January 2012. I have done a lot of work to the car and mostly it’s been fun and never any unsolvable issues until now. I just had ERL dry sleeve and 454 package installed on my LS7 block. I took that short block and installed all my old part including WCCH stage 2 heads, K501 cam, ZR1 clutch from Katech, and many other goodies. I also have a RPM Transmission TR6060 LVL VI that was installed back in 2013.

Issues:
The issue I am experiencing is with the clutch and transmission. When I installed the clutch and transmission about a week ago after the engine install, the clutch felt super light and had a little bit of dead space prior to engagement (2 inches of spongy). When I shift gears, the car doesn’t let me shift gears fast. It holds me in neutral for a second or so, until the RPMs drop some, then I can actually go into the new gear. This has never happened until now. Also while driving and coming to a stop, if I leave it in 1st gear and press the clutch in, right before I come to a full stop the car will grind the gears. Finally, while I drive around if I try to downshift and rev match the car will also grind the gears. It’s a horrible sound that I’ve heard twice in my entire life and now I hear it everyday. If you have heard it in the past, you know what I’m talking about and it sucks. I hate that sound.

Troubleshooting Already Completed:
I took off the slave from the master and bled the master cylinder again. I noticed that the tick master cylinder’s bolt that hooks up to the clutch pedal had some play in it. So, I replaced it with a new longer bolt. Now the clutch pedal has no play and feels amazing again. I put the car in first gear, kept the clutch down and raised the RPMs to 5500 and the car didn’t move at all. However, while on the road driving 45 MPH I put the car in 4th gear, pressed in the clutch and gave it gas and the car did noticeably accelerate by 3 MPH right away. Finally, today I took off the MGW shifter and used the realignment tool to recheck the shifter just in case. The shifter is right on and it’s not trying to pull the cable the wrong way at all. The car still has all 3 symptoms:
Grinds 1st gear when coming to a stop with clutch pedal all the way down
Grinds gears when rev matching
Doesn’t allow fast shifting

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. This is a big issue I never had with this car and I’m trying to see where to go from here. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by VelocitasAngelus; 02-26-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:25 AM
darrelwatson46
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever find a solution? I am having similar stuff after my motor install with a ZR1 clutch on Katech flywheel. Put in clutch to rev match and as soon as i get to about 2500 in the revs with the clutch in it starts to engage and chatters. Air still in the clutch line?
Old 09-01-2019, 08:04 AM
VelocitasAngelus
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darrelwatson46
Did you ever find a solution? I am having similar stuff after my motor install with a ZR1 clutch on Katech flywheel. Put in clutch to rev match and as soon as i get to about 2500 in the revs with the clutch in it starts to engage and chatters. Air still in the clutch line?
I did find the solution in my case. Essentially, when the car was accelerating or decelerating and I tried to sift gears it would grind. It did not grind gears when I was at a constant speed, such as doing 55 on cruise control and shifting from 5 to 6. The reason was the pilot bearing. Therefore, the shaft was not staying in line where it is supposed to be. As soon as I replaced the pilot bearing everything worked perfectly. If there is air in the lines, the clutch will typically not fully engage regardless of speed due to the air being compressed. But the faster you go, the more damage you will do when you shift, so be cautious in your troubleshooting. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
MURDEREDOUT (09-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Gears Grinding When Stopping or Rev Matching

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z06 Gears Grinding When Stopping or Rev Matching