Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just bought a C6 Z06. Not worried about Valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by golfinz
Interesting. The base AHP head is $1,400 plus $495 if you buy the install kit from them, which I assume is complete minus oil. If you did it for less than $1,500, that is great, but it seems like an outlier regarding the price of the fix.
If you don't have to pay for shipping from AHP, you can do it for under $1600. All you _really_ need are bolts, gaskets, oil and coolant. If you need an oil change anyway, then you needn't count that as part of the job.

$1358 for AHP #4
$150-160 for bolts and gaskets
$15 jug of coolant
------------
$1523-1533
The following users liked this post:
03Zcrit (07-17-2018)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by golfinz
Interesting. The base AHP head is $1,400 plus $495 if you buy the install kit from them, which I assume is complete minus oil. If you did it for less than $1,500, that is great, but it seems like an outlier regarding the price of the fix.
1400 with the ride...the install kit is fine but like any business they are in it to make some money and to do a basic head swap on a low mileage car it's not need

40 bucks for head gasket
40 bucks for stock bolts
50 bucks for an oil change
20 for coolant

So ya just a tad over 1500 for everything. If you want arp stuff add another 50 to that price. Too many people here farm everything out and spend way more than they need to

Last edited by redbird555; 03-21-2017 at 09:13 PM.
golfinz (03-21-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 AM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Smart move as the actually faulty heads sent back to GM were actually less than 1/2 of one percent. This ls7 valve guide failure was an internet built phenomenon that benefited tuners more than owners.

I'd suggest 130k miles for rebuilding the heads to freshen them up.

All early head work was a folly,

Enjoy your awesome new to you ride...

I bet the people on this board that reported worn out guides is more than 1% of the LS7s in the world. No internet built phenomenon about the LS7 valve guide problem.

Originally Posted by redbird555
1400 with the ride...the install kit is fine but like any business they are in it to make some money and to do a basic head swap on a low mileage car it's not need

40 bucks for head gasket
40 bucks for stock bolts
50 bucks for an oil change
20 for coolant

So ya just a tad over 1500 for everything. If you want arp stuff add another 50 to that price. Too many people here farm everything out and spend way more than they need to
$40 per head gasket--so add another $40. $40 on stock bolts is a little low, but close. I don't know where you're getting 8 - 10 quarts of oil and an oil filter for $50. Regardless, it pays to do your own labor and to do your own shopping. Lots of money to be saved. Swapping heads on these cars is a piece of cake too--don't be afraid to DIY.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 08mojo
I bet the people on this board that reported worn out guides is more than 1% of the LS7s in the world. No internet built phenomenon about the LS7 valve guide problem.

$40 per head gasket--so add another $40. $40 on stock bolts is a little low, but close. I don't know where you're getting 8 - 10 quarts of oil and an oil filter for $50. Regardless, it pays to do your own labor and to do your own shopping. Lots of money to be saved. Swapping heads on these cars is a piece of cake too--don't be afraid to DIY.
eBay sells the gaskets for right around 22 bucks a piece of rock auto sells them as well. OEM Mms gaskets.... felpro makes the OEM bolts so buy them under that brand and they're about 21 per side

Also Walmart for oil a jug of pennzoil or valvoline synthetic is 22 bucks for 5qt plus the filter. Idk why people don't shop around?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:41 AM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

A few months back, I was shopping a barely used 427 model (~8500 miles). The dealer wanted all of the money and there was just under a year of factory warranty left on the drive train. It was interesting..

I happen to be fortunate, living within 50 miles of a phenomenal Corvette dealer and an active Corvette pro shop that builds/rebuilds/custom-builds Vettes from show cars to dedicated racers. Based on a LOT of discussion regarding LS7 issues, I spent about half a day in the engine-build area of the afore-mentioned shop and had very experienced engine techs literally lay out the worn/damaged engine parts from numerous LS7 valve guide/head repairs. Every tech working in this busy shop was familiar and conversant with the valve guide wear problem. To them, the repair was common: "no big deal.." The failures that had resulted from dropped valves were usually cause for complete engine changes (there were two crates full of new engines sitting in the area). ".5%:" No way - much more common issue. These guys had bags of new valve guides on the shelves that they planned on using for incoming repairs.

I didn't buy the 427. $Dollars had a lot to do with it but it was as much about not wanted a pristine car that needed surgery. Personally, I wouldn't have enjoyed driving that car without the repair, and didn't want the project with an immediate repair needed. Just a personal choice-

Best warranty: Research, information, and then using the data. If you ignore what you know, all that effort is wasted. IMHO, a warranty doesn't change much: The statistics are still there and the hassle, down-time, and conflicts will be too.

Last edited by COvert-red; 03-22-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
eBay sells the gaskets for right around 22 bucks a piece of rock auto sells them as well. OEM Mms gaskets.... felpro makes the OEM bolts so buy them under that brand and they're about 21 per side

Also Walmart for oil a jug of pennzoil or valvoline synthetic is 22 bucks for 5qt plus the filter. Idk why people don't shop around?
Never seen an LS7 head gasket that cheap that wasn't used. RockAuto lists it for $52.99 per side. Head bolts from them are $39.79 per side.

You are estimating everything low, but in the end.. I don't think your original statement was that far off, if you take out the oil change from the equation.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by COvert-red
A few months back, I was shopping a barely used 427 model (~8500 miles). The dealer wanted all of the money and there was just under a year of factory warranty left on the drive train. It was interesting..

I happen to be fortunate, living within 50 miles of a phenomenal Corvette dealer and an active Corvette pro shop that builds/rebuilds/custom-builds Vettes from show cars to dedicated racers. Based on a LOT of discussion regarding LS7 issues, I spent about half a day in the engine-build area of the afore-mentioned shop and had very experienced engine techs literally lay out the worn/damaged engine parts from numerous LS7 valve guide/head repairs. Every tech working in this busy shop was familiar and conversant with the valve guide wear problem. To them, the repair was common: "no big deal.." The failures that had resulted from dropped valves were usually cause for complete engine changes (there were two crates full of new engines sitting in the area). ".5%:" No way - much more common issue. These guys had bags of new valve guides on the shelves that they planned on using for incoming repairs.

I didn't buy the 427. $Dollars had a lot to do with it but it was as much about not wanted a pristine car that needed surgery. Personally, I wouldn't have enjoyed driving that car without the repair, and didn't want the project with an immediate repair needed. Just a personal choice-

Best warranty: Research, information, and then using the data. If you ignore what you know, all that effort is wasted. IMHO, a warranty doesn't change much: The statistics are still there and the hassle, down-time, and conflicts will be too.
Thanks for the agenda-free, fact based post. Good info.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:34 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Warranty companies deny claims all the time. Valve dropped because of abuse, because you missed a shift, because of an over rev, etc. If you do drop a valve, you may or may not be in for a fight.
This^^^

IF you have a problem, the warranty company will ask you to be responsible for teardown to failure. They will more than likely state it was caused from over reving the engine.

Other things to consider. Most warranties have a maximum payout. Find out what that amount is. Also most warranties will pay only for LKQ (Like Kind Quality) parts. Your USED engine blew up, you get a used engine to replace it.

Unless you got an extended warranty directly from GM, these rules will apply.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:34 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Datrojan
Do as you please with your Z06. I'll do as I please with mine. A grown man with any ounce of common sense isn't going to purchase a warranty AND perform modifications to the motor.

Unless you have definitive proof that all C6 Z06 Corvettes are ticking time bombs, or even the majority are, I'd rather have comprehensive coverage for any failure that may occour including faulty cylinder heads.
I think that a grown man with ANY common sense would get the heads fixed and fixing the heads is not "modifying" the motor. I would also make SURE that your warranty does cover a catastrophic engine failure
Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
I think that a grown man with ANY common sense would get the heads fixed and fixing the heads is not "modifying" the motor. I would also make SURE that your warranty does cover a catastrophic engine failure
That would imply that all grown men have common sense, which is obviously not the case.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:41 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

OP bought a Z06 and said he wasnt going to worry about the head problem. He never said he was going to actually drive the car. Parking it in the garage and looking at it every day for a couple of years..no brainer. He still owns a Z06. Then he sells it and says..."I never had a problem with the heads". Done.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:44 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by lobamotive
That would imply that all grown men have common sense, which is obviously not the case.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:54 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
OP and Jerri go together like peas and carrots.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Jeez you guys are worse than honda boys, glad the c5 sections aren't like this. If you have an opinion of genuine recommendation then make it, don't be d-bags about it.

Congrats to the OP, I have no experience with warranties aftermarket or factory, but I hope if everything remains in good condition!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by lobamotive
OP and Jerri go together like peas and carrots.
Well, Jerri is pretty special- sort of in a class by himself....maybe alongside ATOMIC ORANG. He's simply a fool who refuses to deal with reality....just as he refuses to provide supporting info for his beliefs. Of course, that's because he can't. When he's asked to provide proof for what he says, we get nothing but crickets. That tells the story right there.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
don't be d-bags about it.

Jerri deserves it.

We are trying to save engines here, not watch more blow up, and jerri will not pay for an engine after telling people there is no problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Going the warranty route should do the trick. Here's to never needing to use it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a warranty program that I liked so I did the "fix" route when I found a few guides at the limit.

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought a C6 Z06. Not worried about Valves

Old 03-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Old Blazer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Timely post

Thread title caught my eye as I may look at a 32K mile '08 Z this weekend. I thought that the warranty idea would be good for piece of mind too. But after reading other opinions I see their reasoning. Without hijacking the thread are there any telltales that would indicate the heads have been off and maybe the work was already done? I expect the salesman to plead ignorance if I ask him straight out about repairs.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:24 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Blazer
are there any telltales that would indicate the heads have been off and maybe the work was already done? .

Black arp head bolts.

Not many signs, and even if it had been done, I would still tear it down and "know" what I had instead if hoping what I had was still like new.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:16 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
But it is enough to have a claim denied. Thus, I will leave the car stock. You have your take on this and I have mine. Let's not act like a petulant child simply because I don't see things your way.

My car, my rules.
NotreOkc (07-16-2018)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just bought a C6 Z06. Not worried about Valves