Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Possible Bad Lifter? Video inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the roller still spin? I'm of the opinion the lifter probaby collapsed and just bounced on the lobe until it flat spotted the roller and started chewing it up. Just a theory.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

I figured as much... It's hard to tell which came first, the chicken or the egg. There's been quite a few "soft cams" and bad lifters alike. The second pic looks like defective cam hardening. Either way, you know what you've got to do. I'd probably go with the Caddi lifters.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:07 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
I figured as much... It's hard to tell which came first, the chicken or the egg. There's been quite a few "soft cams" and bad lifters alike. The second pic looks like defective cam hardening. Either way, you know what you've got to do. I'd probably go with the Caddi lifters.
Didn't that happen to you?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Didn't that happen to you?
Yep, OEM cam though. It was discovered @ 88K miles. The lifters actually looked pretty good. The rollers were still spinning smoothly.

The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also happened to me. Cam pretty much looked just like that.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 AM
csibbs
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
Does the roller still spin? I'm of the opinion the lifter probaby collapsed and just bounced on the lobe until it flat spotted the roller and started chewing it up. Just a theory.
Yes the roller spins just fine
Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 AM
csibbs
Instructor

My concern now is, do I go with the same cam? That was going to be the plan but I don't want this to happen again.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:29 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csibbs
My concern now is, do I go with the same cam? That was going to be the plan but I don't want this to happen again.
Hard to say... The person I'd trust the most to answer this would be Michael D. This isn't a rampant problem so most would say "My cam is fine." Sad to say, it's probably the luck-o-the-draw more than anything. Comp Cams would probably be the first that I'd scratch off my go-to list.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't know about you but if that happened to me there would be no way in Hell I'd use that same cam again. That's just asking for it.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

I just re-read all your post's here. No mention of the maker of this cam. Could you please post the make and model number for the rest of us?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM
csibbs
Instructor

Hard to say... The person I'd trust the most to answer this would be Michael D. This isn't a rampant problem so most would say "My cam is fine." Sad to say, it's probably the luck-o-the-draw more than anything. Comp Cams would probably be the first that I'd scratch off my go-to list.
I was going to go with a BTR V4 cam but wasnt sure if I was going to have to change pushrod length, get new springs, etc, all in all being more expensive.

Originally Posted by meanjoe
I just re-read all your post's here. No mention of the maker of this cam. Could you please post the make and model number for the rest of us?
It was the Texas Speed LS7R cam
The following users liked this post:
meanjoe (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:41 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

I was going to go with a BTR V4 cam but wasnt sure if I was going to have to change pushrod length, get new springs, etc, all in all being more expensive.

That is a very aggressive cam for street useage, must be matched to well spec'd out and high quality springs. I would not be afraid of .655" lift, how is the car used will determine your cam choice, if you where happy with the LS7R then the BTR 4 will be fine for you. I used the Johnson Axle oil short travel (.058") lifters. Very nice lifters but I would probably go with the non-axle oil and .090" versions if I would do it again, was a major pita measuring for each pushrod length +/-.002".
Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Your valve train was not happy.

That camshaft is way too f'ing big. Especially with an OE intake/TB and 7100 rev limit. Not sure who the hell talked you into that, but it wasn't a good choice. I just don't get this never ending desire to over cam this engine. Must be one of those "my dick is bigger than your dick" things.

Find a lifter with a .750" wheel. Axle oiling is not needed on a mild street engine. I don't think it's needed for any needle bearing roller. Bushed solids, sure you bet. Great idea. Needle bearing though??? Run good springs. PAC 12xx series.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Yep, not surprised at all. LSL lobes...

You planning to replace your oil pump? It will definitely be scored. I'd also pull the dry sump tank, oil lines, and oil cooler, and flush them all out. Those metal fragments will be just about everywhere.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I used to think the hoses to the tank could be cleaned and reused. I no longer hold that opinion. I spent about two hours cleaning mine out last week, and gave up. Ended up ordering a set. The oil pump pick up tube screen is also difficult to clean. It effectively trapped crap. The older plastic one is worse than the metal one..... Yah, I bought a new one of those bastards too..... Oh well, it was a good excuse to install the Aviaid tank insert, and Improved Racing pan baffle, seeing how I had both out of the car.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:56 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D

That camshaft is way too f'ing big. Especially with an OE intake/TB and 7100 rev limit. Not sure who the hell talked you into that, but it wasn't a good choice. I just don't get this never ending desire to over cam this engine. Must be one of those "my dick is bigger than your dick" things.

Find a lifter with a .750" wheel. Axle oiling is not needed on a mild street engine. I don't think it's needed for any needle bearing roller. Bushed solids, sure you bet. Great idea. Needle bearing though??? Run good springs. PAC 12xx series.
Michael, so tell us how you really feel about big cams!! LOL I totally agree that is way to much cam for a basically stock 427 cu in.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:57 PM
csibbs
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Yep, not surprised at all. LSL lobes...

You planning to replace your oil pump? It will definitely be scored. I'd also pull the dry sump tank, oil lines, and oil cooler, and flush them all out. Those metal fragments will be just about everywhere.
I used to think the hoses to the tank could be cleaned and reused. I no longer hold that opinion. I spent about two hours cleaning mine out last week, and gave up. Ended up ordering a set. The oil pump pick up tube screen is also difficult to clean. It effectively trapped crap. The older plastic one is worse than the metal one..... Yah, I bought a new one of those bastards too..... Oh well, it was a good excuse to install the Aviaid tank insert, and Improved Racing pan baffle, seeing how I had both out of the car.

This is all terrible news. I don't even know what lsl lobes are.... Wtf this sucks

If it makes any difference the heads have pac 660 dual valve springs

Last edited by csibbs; 04-18-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Bad Lifter? Video inside

Old 04-18-2017, 03:24 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Here's a good post on Cam Lobes from MyLS1... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591768836

I'd be looking at a cam from Cam Motion or EPS if I was shopping around.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:00 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

This is all terrible news. I don't even know what lsl lobes are.... Wtf this sucks

If it makes any difference the heads have pac 660 dual valve springs
Sorry...I know how you feel. I was there two years ago with the same issue. It was an eye opener for sure. No more aggressive lobed cams will ever go into my engines. Just not worth it. If you want huge duration, that won't hurt anything other than drivability...it is the fast ramps and high lift that cause the durability issues. BTR, EPS, and Cam Motion are all in the soft lobe camp. Any grind you get from these guys should be reliable. I was very happy with my custom Comp grind I got last year from Tooley. It's an HUC/XE lobed cam that is very similar in numbers to his S3. Was shocked to hear how quiet the valve train was, compared with the previous cam.

Michael - I agree. The oil cooler is basically impossible to flush. I felt like I was able to get my 09+ tank setup clean...but it took forever. I had to take every single piece/fitting out that I could.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I had a shop spec me a cam. Comp with the most aggressive lobes for race only use. It was a smaller cam than I have now, a 228/232 but didn't drive nearly as nice, and ate itself within 800 miles.

Had pat G spec me a cam. Ordered another comp, 230/246 LXL/LXL and 20k+ miles later it is happy as can be in my motor.

As for why people throw these huge donkey dick cams in their cars, because of youtube and showing off at events. Got to have that mean sounding cam even if it drives like ***, is less reliable, less power where it counts, etc.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Possible Bad Lifter? Video inside