Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Feedback on this louvered hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 02:19 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

It was not fiberglass.... very pliable. you could actually it bend it in the summer months just closing it. Aesthetically it was very nice.. In terms of functionality, it was lacking.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:23 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

lol... I actually sold it to another dude on this forum. Believe it or not you could not even tell that happened..
I replaced it with a Tigershark (Fiberglass hood) and all was well.

Dave, I am not sure if StarCraft makes a vented hood for the C6Z... But I really liked my Tigershark hood that they made for the c5Z...

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Holy ****!! What absolute BS that is...do they advertise it with a speed rating/warning? I would've taken that thing off, beat with a baseball bat until it was smashed to bits...box it up with a brick and throw it through the manufacturers front window.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here is a hood vent I added. I was trying to come up with something and I purchased a hood from a former forum member. He mentioned he had seen the Camaro vent. I searched and like the way it looks and of course it should function well. I haven't had a chance to test the car with it on track yet, but I can definitely see and feel the heat come out from the vent with car running at idle. I used a different method to secure the vent to the hood compared to what I had seen in the post. I used the water tray that came with the kit and cut it out.
Attached Images   

Last edited by l98tpi; 03-31-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
lol... I actually sold it to another dude on this forum. Believe it or not you could not even tell that happened..
I replaced it with a Tigershark (Fiberglass hood) and all was well.

Dave, I am not sure if StarCraft makes a vented hood for the C6Z... But I really liked my Tigershark hood that they made for the c5Z...
Aesthetically, the Tigershark appears to be an upgrade over the first hood anyways.

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Here is a hood vent I added. I was trying to come up with something and I purchased a hood from a former forum member. He mentioned he had seen the Camaro vent. I searched and like the way it looks and of course it should function well. I haven't had a chance to test the car with it on track yet, but I can definitely see and feel the heat come out from the vent with car running at idle. I used a different method to secure the vent to the hood compared to what I had seen in the post. I used the water tray that came with the kit and cut it out.
That's certainly a cleaner method of install than I've seen as well.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Treadhead
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks very similar to the carbon one I got from carbon creations, with the exception that the top of mine is actual carbon, so I cant speak to the rigidity of an all duraflex hood. Stock hinges/hardware work fine. Finish is good with some minor imperfections here and there but not too bad unless you're looking for them. Fit, probably 8.5 out of 10. Under hood temps dropped a little but nothing out of this world. I had no problems near 200mph, has been on for 2+ years without a problem.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I'm selling my LG world challenge CF hood. Locally perferred as shipping it would be near impossible. Would give a local a killer deal on it.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i've never seen an aftermarket hood that I liked for the c6.. well besides the halltech one.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:05 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,499 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by dkz
i've never seen an aftermarket hood that I liked for the c6.. well besides the halltech one.
I want it for the cooling, so aesthetics take a back seat as long as it works and is not really ugly. Even 10* off my water temperature would be a great help on the track.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:55 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

I actually ran without a hood and picked up 4mph in one of my 1/2 mi roll race events. Is that an option dave?

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I want it for the cooling, so aesthetics take a back seat as long as it works and is not really ugly. Even 10* off my water temperature would be a great help on the track.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
I actually ran without a hood and picked up 4mph in one of my 1/2 mi roll race events. Is that an option dave?
I need the hood primarily for cooling on road courses and they may not be too friendly for that. I could run my stock hood for 1/2, 1 and 1 1/2 mile races as I'm not concerned about cooling on those or the Silver State. Running 4800 RPM in 5th for 90 miles my water temp was in the 220 range and oil was not much higher, so I don't need it for that.

There are some options available to me on different hoods, but I am still interested in feedback on various vented hood sat high speed. I'd like to just install it and leave it on all the time. I don't need to worry about rain getting in as I have other transportation available.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

My hood does fine at high speeds......don't know what (if any) aerodynamic drag penalty I'm paying by running this hood. I have a stock cooling system, but I run E54 which should burn a little bit cooler than 91 pump gas.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:55 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
My hood does fine at high speeds......don't know what (if any) aerodynamic drag penalty I'm paying by running this hood. I have a stock cooling system, but I run E54 which should burn a little bit cooler than 91 pump gas.
It uses the normal hinges, no hood pins and is the CC ZR1 Gen II?
sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I don't overlook a fatal flaw.

Dave
Old 04-05-2017, 04:30 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

It uses the normal hinges, no hood pins and is the CC ZR1 Gen II?
sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I don't overlook a fatal flaw.

Dave
Mine's the standard ZR1 hood. That's my car in their advertisements

http://corvettecreationz.com/store/i...&product_id=53
Old 04-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Holy ****!! What absolute BS that is...do they advertise it with a speed rating/warning? I would've taken that thing off, beat with a baseball bat until it was smashed to bits...box it up with a brick and throw it through the manufacturers front window.
Lets hope he doesn't do that as they will come looking for you

Good luck Dave. I would suggest getting a nice high quality good looking vented hood. Sell you stock one ........ you will never want to put it back on.

DH
Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Hood and car are long gone.... No chance of that..

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Lets hope he doesn't do that as they will come looking for you

Good luck Dave. I would suggest getting a nice high quality good looking vented hood. Sell you stock one ........ you will never want to put it back on.

DH
Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 PM
RobbyZ
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
I'm selling my LG world challenge CF hood. Locally perferred as shipping it would be near impossible. Would give a local a killer deal on it.
Are you still selling this hood? Im in Gilbert as well and would like to buy.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:38 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I finally decided on the C6 LG Carbon World Challenge hood that fits the stock mountings, primarily due to its reputation on quality. Attached below are pictures of the hood painted JSB. The construction of the hood appears to be good quality, but the body shop that installed it had to do a lot of work to get it to fit as shown. The primary problem is that the hood does not have as much bend from front to rear as the OEM hood, so the front sits a little high, the middle at the sides where it meets the fender lines is low by 3/16" to 1/4" and the back corners sit above the fenders. Since I got the hood primarily for improved cooling on road courses on hot days, the fit is fine for my needs.

For the $, I was hoping for a better overall fit. The crate it was shipped in protected it very well and my stock hood will get stored in that crate (no sale plans at this time). In the next few weeks I will get clear film put on the front and leading edges of the vent scoop to reduce chip damage. It may be a while before I do a road course event that will test the cooling improvements.

Last edited by AzDave47; 07-18-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Feedback on this louvered hood

Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

There are about a gazzilion different things you can do to get the hood aligned better. It'll drive you nuts doing it too..... I fussed around with my 427 CF hood for hours. Finally got it to fit pretty good, but it's still not perfect. Very small moves on the front hinge (both where they bolt to the frame and the hood itself), rear latchs, bumpers, all make big moves to the hood. I bet you can get that LG hood to fit better with a LOT of patience, and maybe a few beers....
Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael_D
There are about a gazzilion different things you can do to get the hood aligned better. It'll drive you nuts doing it too..... I fussed around with my 427 CF hood for hours. Finally got it to fit pretty good, but it's still not perfect. Very small moves on the front hinge (both where they bolt to the frame and the hood itself), rear latches, bumpers, all make big moves to the hood. I bet you can get that LG hood to fit better with a LOT of patience, and maybe a few beers....
The body shop already did a lot of that. With the first install (before any painting) and the front forward and flush with the front fascia (like the OEM hood was) and the hood latches at their lowest positions, the rear of the hood was ~ 1 1/2" above the fenders at the rear. Moving it back and up and doing some movement of the fenders got it to where it is now. The problem is the hood is too flat, it does not have the curvature of the OEM hood or the fenders. Discussions indicated this is usually due to the hood being removed from the mold too soon. Shipping costs made it unreasonable for me to return it for a (hopefully) better fitting unit. I use the car for performance events so it is not a show car and I can live with the fit.

Last edited by AzDave47; 07-18-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

The body shop already did a lot of that. With the first install (before any painting) and the front forward and flush with the front fascia (like the OEM hood was) and the hood latches at their lowest positions, the rear of the hood was ~ 1 1/2" above the fenders at the rear. Moving it back and up and doing some movement of the fenders got it to where it is now. The problem is the hood is too flat, it does not have the curvature of the OEM hood or the fenders. Discussions indicated this is usually due to the hood being removed from the mold too soon. Shipping costs made it unreasonable for me to return it for a (hopefully) better fitting unit. I use the car for performance events so it is not a show car and I can live with the fit.
Yikes. Thanks for sharing your experience. For the price, I would have expected a much better fit too. It appears no one makes a quality vented hood anymore for the C6 Corvette. Have you at least noticed a decent change in temperatures?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Feedback on this louvered hood