Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Repairs to Z06 aluminum frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 05:04 AM
William Atkins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairs to Z06 aluminum frame

Hit in the right rear quarter panel at 15 mph and slightly bent the frame. I am being told this is unrepairable and I will have to total a perfect car! Can this be fixed? Any experience fixing bent frames?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

You can fix anything with enough time, money, and effort.
Who says it can't be fixed?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:33 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

buy it back from the insurance co and drive the hell out of it. as long as everything bolts back up decent
Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by William Atkins
Hit in the right rear quarter panel at 15 mph and slightly bent the frame. I am being told this is unrepairable and I will have to total a perfect car! Can this be fixed? Any experience fixing bent frames?
I find that difficult to believe...but there is a total loss formula used in CA... Cost of Repair + Salvage Value > Actual Cash Value = Total Loss

If they're saying this because the frame cant be repaired, that's untrue...it just may be cost prohibitive for your vehicle. I see you're in Fallbrook...I highly recommend Phil Thearle's Autowerks in Santee...the place is so clean you could eat off the floors, and they do a ton of high end cars. I think they are the only Jag/Landrover Certified body shop in the county for aluminum work. Maybe get an opinion from them...I trust what Phil says.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Aluminum doesn't bend like steel.

You can take a steel frame and bend it back pretty easily. Aluminum will tend to crack more often than steel when you bend it. You CAN heat it up and bend it, but that's a very complicated process.

Most places just don't do aluminum frame work.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by William Atkins
How do you know the frame was bent? Where is it bent? What other damage was done? Who is telling you the damage is not repairable?

If it is the frame rail visible in the wheel well the manual says to purchase a Service Frame Rail and use it to replace the damaged section of the frame.

Bill
Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

New frame rails and other parts may be available
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat
Old 04-08-2017, 12:29 AM
William Atkins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How do you know the frame was bent? Where is it bent? What other damage was done? Who is telling you the damage is not repairable?

If it is the frame rail visible in the wheel well the manual says to purchase a Service Frame Rail and use it to replace the damaged section of the frame.

Bill
I was shown where it is bent right at the place where the rear cradle bolts to the frame. The wheels appear to have shifted about 3/8" to the drivers side. I also broke the upper control arm and replaced it. It actually seemed to drive fine after that despite the shift and improper alignment. It is used as a 90% track car and was damaged at the track so I probably will not get insurance coverage. The cost of replacing the frame rail and associated labor may be more than the value of the car. I am even considering purchasing a Z06 with a blown engine and swapping my good parts and motor to the donor car. I am getting an estimate of damage and cost from a good body and frame shop this week. I will also consult with the shop in Santee. I am hoping 3/8" can be bent back despite being aluminum.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:44 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Worth checking this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-13-Chevro...966?rmvSB=true
Old 04-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Up for auction is an aluminum frame rails from a 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. These rear rails will come as pictured. The rear rails will be a direct fit for the 2006-2013 Chevrolet C5 Corvette hardtop Z06 models. It may work with other models but please check with your dealer on custom applications. Also please ask any and all questions before bidding or buying.
Typo?
An excellent find if only typo, a solution for OP @ <$1K.

Buyer to pay $250.00 - $650.00 shipping to the lower 48 states. These will need to be cut to ship.
Cut??
Gotta be me, surely assembly could be palletized & shipped freight.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:24 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

The reason rear frame work is problematic is because it requires specialized skills and equipment just to work with aluminum. That commands a higher $ per hr rate. Then when working working on the rear frame rails the whole tub assembly must be removed which again is time consuming. You can't splice new rails in with the tub in place because you would be unable to weld all the way around the rail. Not to mention the tub is glued to the rail. When you total up the labor and parts for a rear frame repair on any C6 vette and factor in the insurance co's formula, it's pretty easy to call something like that a total.

If the frame rail moved 3/8's of a inch then I suspect the glued joint at the tub is broken OR the glued joint held and the tub is broken. Pull up the carpet and check the tub for damage inside the car. Post some pictures of the damage please.

Get notified of new replies

To Repairs to Z06 aluminum frame

Quick Reply: [Z06] Repairs to Z06 aluminum frame