Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Traction control in the Z06 vs other cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:20 PM
DeweyD
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Traction control in the Z06 vs other cars

Does the traction control on the Z's do much of anything? So far I am able get prodigious amounts of wheel spin and slide the rear end around seemingly at will. I haven't noticed much intervention from the nannies. Is the Z's traction control and stability control just setup to allow some shenanigans?

Compare this to other cars I have driven, they typically start cutting power immediately when TC is turned on.

I just wanted to make sure it is supposed to be this way
Old 04-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by DeweyD
Does the traction control on the Z's do much of anything? So far I am able get prodigious amounts of wheel spin and slide the rear end around seemingly at will. I haven't noticed much intervention from the nannies. Is the Z's traction control and stability control just setup to allow some shenanigans?

Compare this to other cars I have driven, they typically start cutting power immediately when TC is turned on.

So long as you have no warning lights on the dash or codes, yes, the 2006-2013 cars are definitely more liberal than the C5 generation (I've owned both) and other cars in general.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 04-12-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

It is definitely not what I would call a good system.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:40 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
So long as you have no warning lights on the dash or codes, yes, the 2006-2013 cars are definitely more liberal than the C5 generation (I've owned both) and other cars in general.
Far less invasive than my C5Z was for sure.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Paranoid
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
It is definitely not what I would call a good system.
I like the traction control on the c6 z06...it kicks in just in time to keep you from losing your *** but still lets you have some wheelspin. Other cars I have driven feel like you dropped an anchor off the back when TC kicks in

Last edited by Paranoid; 04-12-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 PM
DeweyD
Heel & Toe

So I experimented and can confirm my TC works. It just lets a lot happen before it decides to do anything. It comes on with the "Traction System Active" message.

Way less invasive than other cars I've driven.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

As long as both rear wheels are spinning the same it will let you rip it up a fair amount. If the tires are breaking loose a little bit and you pull a 2/3 shift you may get an intervention then because one or the other may spin more.

If one wheel even hints at spinning more than the other it usually shuts things down quick.

Bill
Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

It's a good balance.

2nd gear is where things get a little jumpy for me.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Drive something with real performance traction control, or aftermarket system and you will change your mind on it being good. Go drive a new McLaren, Mercedes, or a vette with a proefi.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

It just lets a lot happen before it decides to do anything. It comes on with the "Traction System Active" message.
When I suggest new owners 'get to know' their Z, this is precisely what I'm talking about. Losing rear and recovering, if lucky.
TC will not save your bacon, so don't rely on it.

The 2 times over 8 yrs ownership I got seriously out of shape my experience was...'events' happened so fast nannies didn't and/or couldn't intervene until after event.
Lightning-fast reactions are my own version of TC, fortunately recovered & left questioning whether GM's TC mattered.

Suffice to say extra-special consideration's been used after #2, taking in tire & road conditions before even thinking of going WOT.
When I do, always roll into it w/ respect because therein lies the margin/time between detecting/recovering or disaster.

I'd like to keep this car, others & myself alive.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 AM
DeweyD
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Landru
When I suggest new owners 'get to know' their Z, this is precisely what I'm talking about. Losing rear and recovering, if lucky.
TC will not save your bacon, so don't rely on it.
I plan on learning in two weeks the first time I autocross it
Old 04-14-2017, 12:16 AM
sillycon
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had two "events" on my first HPDE as well; got on the gas too early coming out of a turn and the rear started to come around on me. TC/AH were both fully enabled (I had forgotten to turn the TC/AH to "competition mode" in the hustle of things) and didn't kick in one bit during either "event". Slightly letting off and turning into the slide got things right back into shape, however.

In other words, you can leave them on if you want but they almost certainly won't help you and they could cause unexpected behavior if you happen to forget to shut them off (or decide to leave them on).

There's a guy on here who forgot the TC on in his C5 at a track day, and the TC kicked in during a slide and prevented him from being able to control/recover the car (apparently C5's have a driver lock-out issue when TC is active). He ended up totaling it out into a wall because of it. Food for thought.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

I did a good burnout and cut a 1.55 60' at the track all the time forgetting to turn the TC off.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:43 AM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

So I experimented and can confirm my TC works. It just lets a lot happen before it decides to do anything. It comes on with the "Traction System Active" message.

Way less invasive than other cars I've driven.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:07 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

TC is useless but AH has saved my *** a few times at 90mph when the rear broke loose. At least it kept me from going around after letting up on the gas. I do agree there are much better aftermarket technologies out there. Just not ready to embark upon that project yet.

Last edited by TTZ06VETTE; 04-14-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I can't seem to get any traction in my truck.....?

Get notified of new replies

To Traction control in the Z06 vs other cars

Quick Reply: [Z06] Traction control in the Z06 vs other cars