Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] BTR Stg3 & Mamo MSD Low HP Numbers??

Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 AM
tdeweese
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JaredW
And I don't have HPTuners
With the level of your car and money spent. Do yourself a favor and get HPTuners. Even if someone else tunes your car, you can data log and post it for help in a case like this. Expensive yes, worth it absolutely!!
If you lived a little closer to me, I would flash it and do a data log ride along to see how it looks. BTW I have a set of shorty FAST 58lb injectors that will drop in place of your stockers I would sell them for $200. GO onto Lingenfelters website as they sell them for LS7 if you find out your running 80%+ on your injectors. I feel your pain my friend!!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:13 AM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Didn't read about who did the work on the heads. Did you send them out to get CNC ported and milled? Or did you use someone local?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
I didn't read a single word of this thread after your first post and nor did I need to.

I can promise you with great confidence that the issue is the tuner. I wouldn't run this car hard after a tune from Norris. His mistakes have cost owners and companies a lot of money over years. Run while you can. Call Ben Stoner at Fathouse fabrication for a good local tune. Use Norris at your own risk. I can give you a list of victims a mile long from around us. If you are willing to travel, email James Short at Shortuning.com and schedule a tune. He is probably booked until the end of May by now though.

Trust me on not even calling Norris back. There will be excuse after excuse until your car blows up.
Show us the list. I know a hand full of people that had Mike tune their cars and all run fine.

Last edited by shane p; 04-13-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Just finished my Cam swap to BTR Stg3 with Mamo Ported MSD & NW102TB, and was expecting it to make quite a bit more power. Before the swap I had the heads milled .030 when I replaced the guides, Halltech MF103, Melrose 1 7/8 Long Tubes w/ Hi Flow Cats and B&B PRT's, running 93 octane. Made 492/463 before the swap, after I only came up to 545/498. Seem low to anyone else??

Tuned by Norris Motorsports outside of Indianapolis, Mike is great to work with and said he thought it would make more as well. He did ask if it was fresh 93 cause he was seeing some knock and had to pull some timing but didn't think it was real knock, could that be the reason and should I run some more fuel through it and see if he will throw it back on there and run it some more?

He tuned my car and it runs great. Your numbers are close to what mine are, He also said that he thought they would be higher but I have a fast intake, with you having a mamo msd I would think maybe you are down 20 horse but maybe it doesnt like the cam. With .03 off the heads it maybe real knock.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by shane p
Show us the list. I know a hand full of people that had Mike tune their cars and all run fine.
Here are just a few I can name off hand...

08 G8 3x,xxx miles Ran for 3 mos and detonation killed a couple rod bearings.. Car engine was replaced and new tuner after warning the owner discovered the issue. Now issue free.

2006 GTO 8,XXX miles with roots style blower had too much timing and it damaged internals forcing a rebuild. Now issue free with new tuner.

2015 ZL1 Camaro - No damage but wouldn't idle properly. WOT AF was lean at times. Re-tuned by another tuner. Now issue free.

2002 Camaro SS. Car wouldn't idle properly. Died after nearly every pull. Taken to a new tuner. Found TB drilled...... Retuned. Now issue free.

Countless cars he tuned when he worked for Raymond's Performance had idle issues and had to be re-tuned. << Call and ask Bruce Raymond about him. I'm quite sure he can be much more detailed. He no longer tunes for that shop. Thats not even going into the details of how he was moonlighting out of the shop with their customers.

You can say cars run fine (and maybe a few do. I havent seen them) with the guy but I wouldn't trust him to tune up my lawn mower. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:46 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

He tuned my car and it runs great. Your numbers are close to what mine are, He also said that he thought they would be higher but I have a fast intake, with you having a mamo msd I would think maybe you are down 20 horse but maybe it doesnt like the cam. With .03 off the heads it maybe real knock.

I would sat that your numbers are low. I have basically the same NA mods that you do and I am at 585 and 518 with a more conservative cam than what you are running. I would find another tuner if it were me.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-results.html

Last edited by lamboworld; 04-13-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:47 AM
JaredW
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tdeweese
With the level of your car and money spent. Do yourself a favor and get HPTuners. Even if someone else tunes your car, you can data log and post it for help in a case like this. Expensive yes, worth it absolutely!!
If you lived a little closer to me, I would flash it and do a data log ride along to see how it looks. BTW I have a set of shorty FAST 58lb injectors that will drop in place of your stockers I would sell them for $200. GO onto Lingenfelters website as they sell them for LS7 if you find out your running 80%+ on your injectors. I feel your pain my friend!!
Yeah I need to look into getting HPTuners, I will try and find out what my duty cycle was today and If I am close I will let you know and take them off your hands!

Originally Posted by spra4u
Didn't read about who did the work on the heads. Did you send them out to get CNC ported and milled? Or did you use someone local?
The heads were done locally by a guy that has done all my other machine work. No Porting just milled.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM
JaredW
Pro

Real knock from running out of injector or bad fuel?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Also ask yourself what motivation anyone would have to make stuff up about him.... I have never made the mistake of taking my cars over there. I also have no financial gain to be had by telling people about his inability to properly tune cars. I just think telling people the truth is the right thing to do. I would be afraid to run the car at all without logging it to see what is going on.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:54 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Real knock from running out of injector or bad fuel?

Plenty of guys are over 600whp on stock injectors and pump gas. Bad fuel is a possibility but not likely unless the car has been sitting a long time. There are tons of guys on milled heads and pump gas.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I'll second Ben Stoner @ FHF. In fact, just goto FHF for all your needs.

I've know Jeremy for almost 20 years now. Great guy.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Just finished my Cam swap to BTR Stg3 with Mamo Ported MSD & NW102TB, and was expecting it to make quite a bit more power. Before the swap I had the heads milled .030 when I replaced the guides, Halltech MF103, Melrose 1 7/8 Long Tubes w/ Hi Flow Cats and B&B PRT's, running 93 octane. Made 492/463 before the swap, after I only came up to 545/498. Seem low to anyone else??
Every dyno and situation is different. I can't say if yours is "low" or not, I can only tell you what my car made.

I recently added a custom cam (almost exact specs as BTR Stage 2), Mamo ported MSD, NW102 to my car that already had K&N intake, Kooks headers, Corsa exhaust, and heads freshened up by AHP and milled .020"

I made 556/478. My cam is milder than yours, my heads are milled less than yours, and my tune was on 91 octane.

How much faster does it "feel" to you? That's what really matters here. I agree with others that it might be prudent to have a second pair of eyes on your tune just to make sure it's good, and have your injector duty cycle checked, but every car takes to mods differently, so it just might be the best your car can do on that dyno with your mods on that day. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Enjoy it!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 AM
JaredW
Pro

So I got a hold of Mike and asked what the duty cycle was because I cant help thinking I am leaving power on the table somewhere. He said that the injectors were only about 80% or so, so he didn't think that was the issue but agreed that it was low and said if it was his car he would go back to stock intake and tb and see what it does.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:18 AM
JaredW
Pro

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Every dyno and situation is different. I can't say if yours is "low" or not, I can only tell you what my car made.

I recently added a custom cam (almost exact specs as BTR Stage 2), Mamo ported MSD, NW102 to my car that already had K&N intake, Kooks headers, Corsa exhaust, and heads freshened up by AHP and milled .020"

I made 556/478. My cam is milder than yours, my heads are milled less than yours, and my tune was on 91 octane.

How much faster does it "feel" to you? That's what really matters here. I agree with others that it might be prudent to have a second pair of eyes on your tune just to make sure it's good, and have your injector duty cycle checked, but every car takes to mods differently, so it just might be the best your car can do on that dyno with your mods on that day. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Enjoy it!
It is for sure faster there is no doubt about that, Traction through 2nd is now a real issue so it runs out really well from what it feels like. Part of me says screw what the dyno says, but another part worries at the same time that I was that short of what I expected. Especially after spending all that money on the MSD and NW102

Last edited by JaredW; 04-13-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

So I got a hold of Mike and asked what the duty cycle was because I cant help thinking I am leaving power on the table somewhere. He said that the injectors were only about 80% or so, so he didn't think that was the issue but agreed that it was low and said if it was his car he would go back to stock intake and tb and see what it does.
See I knew there is no way you were maxing out the injectors. 80% suggests you aren't making much power though lol.

WOT throttle tuning is quite easy so I'm not sure I'd say it's the tuner. If it was a driveabilty thing than for sure.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:24 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

It is for sure faster there is no doubt about that, Traction in 3rd is now an issue so it runs out really well from what it feels like. Part of me says screw what the dyno says, but another part worries at the same time that I was that short of what I expected. Especially after spending all that money on the MSD and NW102
You have traction issues in third??? What the hell kind of tires do you have?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:28 AM
JaredW
Pro

Originally Posted by rio95
You have traction issues in third??? What the hell kind of tires do you have?
That was supposed to say 2nd my bad! I used to spin a little in second but could roll the power in and be fine, now I cant even roll it in. But I'm on Stock Goodyears that everyone seems to hate lol

Get notified of new replies

To BTR Stg3 & Mamo MSD Low HP Numbers??

Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 AM
JaredW
Pro

Originally Posted by rio95
See I knew there is no way you were maxing out the injectors. 80% suggests you aren't making much power though lol.

WOT throttle tuning is quite easy so I'm not sure I'd say it's the tuner. If it was a driveabilty thing than for sure.
He is going to check on the IDC when he gets a chance and let me know for sure but thats what he said off the top of his head.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 AM
JaredW
Pro

85-90% through the runs he said, but still doesn't think its an injector issue. I don't think that going back to stock intake and tb is the answer at all either, I've seen many guys benifit from the MSD with smaller cams, even stock cams!

Last edited by JaredW; 04-13-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Check condition of cats? Could be clogged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] BTR Stg3 & Mamo MSD Low HP Numbers??