Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 22k miles in my '08

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 02:03 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 80 Posts

Default 22k miles in my '08

i have toyed with selling it a few times. i am at a point where it is more serious than ever. it is basically a garage ornament. and i have put maybe 2500 miles on it in the last 3 years. I do enjoy driving it the few times i take it out but is it worth keeping anymore? I should just say heck with it and drive it all the time and stop saving it for the next guy, but it seems like i always have an excuse not to.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Low Miles

Dude, I bought my 2011 Z07 new in 2012, it has about 2,600 miles on it and I think that is too much. I just bought an enclosed trailer so I don't have to drive it long distances to shows, meets or racing events, its all relative man. For me its in the fact that I own it and I can drive it, if I chose, anywhere, anytime I want. I wont ever think of selling it or my C5 convertible for lack of driving.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
i have toyed with selling it a few times. i am at a point where it is more serious than ever. it is basically a garage ornament. and i have put maybe 2500 miles on it in the last 3 years. I do enjoy driving it the few times i take it out but is it worth keeping anymore? I should just say heck with it and drive it all the time and stop saving it for the next guy, but it seems like i always have an excuse not to.
Log off CF, go put 500 miles on it before you log back on

DH
The following 3 users liked this post by Dirty Howie:
1971 Judge (04-16-2017), dhpeck (08-01-2017), FSTFRC (06-18-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

What, if anything, would you buy to replace it if you sold it? It better be good, or we're all going to tell you you're

Old 04-16-2017, 12:00 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Drive it so mine doesn't get so much attention.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
What, if anything, would you buy to replace it if you sold it? It better be good, or we're all going to tell you you're

exactly...
Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Long Barrel Colt
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't drive my 08z very often it's got around 19,200 on it. I drove it yesterday and I had a smile on my face the whole freaking time.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:11 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Just ******* drive it. c6 z06 values are going down fast anyways. You are losing money AND not driving it. Might as well drive it if you are going to lose money.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:25 AM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

even though I haven't driven it the past 3 weeks, it still makes me smile every time I go in to the garage. No way I'd sell my Z06!!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I have done 8K miles in the 1.5 years I've owned mine and have considered getting rid of it due to lack of use. I don't really have time for 'fun' drives so it always has to be combined with other activities. And other activities for me entails working, dirt parking lots, etc...

The great thing about Vettes is they do depreciate very slowly so you aren't losing very much.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:55 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

And the lower the miles, the less they depreciate. I put few miles on mine for this reason and to keep it in pristine condition. Totally agree with me of the other posts in that it doesn't matter if I drive it or not. Having it makes me happy, looking at it all shinny in the garage and driving on occasion is fine. That's why it's not a daily driver. I just wanted a Corvette. Driving it a lot is not a justification for having it and I am looking at this as a collector car purchase before they become collectible. Bought mine last year and it's a 2006 Z. However, the ZR1 would have been better as a collector car. I have just under 2,500 miles on it.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:14 PM
slappy3347
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I purchased my 08 new and it has 12,700 miles on it. Whether I'm driving it or not it really makes me happy that I have it. A person can enjoy a corvette even when they aren't driving it!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:35 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by slappy3347
I purchased my 08 new and it has 12,700 miles on it. Whether I'm driving it or not it really makes me happy that I have it. A person can enjoy a corvette even when they aren't driving it!
I too have 22k miles on my 07. Bought it at 12k miles 2 years ago, so im averaging 5k a year and drive it every chance i get!!! Enjoy it so much!

​​​​​​I have to drive it..... sitting in garage does nothing for me. Been 2 weeks due to tore up highway construction and rain.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:00 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'm in New Jersey and I'm on my third new corvette purchased...

This present corvette I own has 107k miles,. I drive it everyday...I have snow tires and wheels for the winter months...I have a nice set of 19/20 inch one c7 z51 black rims for the summer months...

You are in Morris county? Let's get together for a cup of coffee or a drink some time..check out my ride and you ll see it still looks brand new..

Take that 35 grand vehicle in your garage...start it up and drive it as it was meant to be...

What the hell is 35 grand in automotive value these days...? What are you saving it for?

I bet your daily driver is worth. More?

Either sell the car for as much as you can get? Maybe a few grand higher? Or drive it...

My cars black...and even with 107k miles...people still think it's brand new...

I love telling them it's got 107k miles and watch them in disbelief...

Just wash and spray wax the car weekly...twice a year hit it with an orbital polisher and some adams products...

I hope this post comes across in the positive manner I mean it...

Have a nice time thinking about either using or selling that rode
Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Some guys buy cars and rarely drive them. To them, just knowing that it is in their garage is worth the cost of admission + depreciation. I think there is a sense of satisfaction and even pride from this. It is proper and it is right, because it is a conscious choice that provides meaningful gratification and pleasure. It's not for me, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. Everyone gets their enjoyment out of life in different ways. It is your money and your car, spend it and use it how you choose and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But if you aren't getting the satisfaction and fulfillment you desire out of just "knowing it is there", then clearly it should be sold, and the funds put to a better use. These cars are not collector items, never were and never will be. Put a poster on your wall in remembrance.

Or, do what most of us Vette crazies do and drive the living **** out of it. Leave no stone un-turned, no road un-driven, no throttle un-mashed. No corner is too sharp, no straight-away is too long, no opportunity to stretch her legs should be ignored. Explore everything, extract every last bit of performance, push the car to its limits, and then push it some more. Drive it everywhere and anywhere. Groceries, canyons, work, track, dinner, rain, shine or the best of all - JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT. My neighbors think (know) that I am crazy, as I will drive my Vettes up and down the driveway for suspiciously long periods of time on a regular basis, before I end up picking one for the day and then away I go - off on another adventure. If there is a twisty road within 200 miles of me that I haven't driven, I would be surprised - but I still look almost every day. Just yesterday I found a very nice, recently paved, long and banked exit ramp that I had forgotten about while I was out heat cycling a new set of R-Compound tires in preparation for two days of track work beginning tomorrow at Watkins Glen. I circled around 14 times and can nail that ramp every time now at turn in, apex and track-out. Very satisfying. And yes I have a full-time job and a family.

Never mind saving it for someone else so that it is worth a few lousy thousand dollars more (which is unlikely anyhow). This is the only mistake that can be made. You saving your significant other for someone else too? Absurd. The term "gently used" doesn't exist in my vocabulary. "Well used but lovingly cared for" does. Our good friend Jerri is a prime example of this technique (well done Jerri). I really don't care what the next guy thinks, but if someone else ever does get my car they will get something that was used as intended, and cared for like a soul-mate. I will extract every last bit of enjoyment from every single thing I buy or do, and then I will scrape the bottom, turn the whole thing upside and shake it vigorously, just to be sure I didn't miss anything. There is always another drop in a squeezed lemon and always another squirt left in a box of wine.

Also, JerriVette is dead-on and exactly correct with every word he wrote, which is a miraculous event. He sounds like a nice guy as well. I would take him up on his offer. Just ignore him when his alter-ego takes over regarding LS7 failures. We all have our demons to contend with.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Just ******* drive it. c6 z06 values are going down fast anyways. You are losing money AND not driving it. Might as well drive it if you are going to lose money.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:03 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have a 1956 Corvette sitting on a lift in my garage. I don't drive it.

I have a 1964 Corvette sitting on a lift in my garage. I drive it 3-4 times a year.

I have a 2009 Z06 in my garage with 50,000 miles. Because of health problems I don't drive it that much anymore(no more long road trips that I love to do, just short 2-3 day trips).

I could sell them and put the money in the bank, but looking at a CD just doesn't give me the same feeling as looking at my Corvettes when I walk through the garage to get in my daily driver to go to Walmart to buy a laxative.

Next Saturday, I'll either drive the 64 or the Z06 down to Arkansas with our Corvette club, for an ice cream. It difficult to get any satisfaction throwing a CD into the passenger seat of my 4-door sedan daily driver. I would rather have the Corvettes sitting in my garage, and drive them occasionally, than have the money sitting in my bank.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-23-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 22k miles in my '08

Old 04-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have a 1956 Corvette sitting on a lift in my garage. I don't drive it.

I have a 1964 Corvette sitting on a lift in my garage. I drive it 3-4 times a year.

I have a 2009 Z06 in my garage with 50,000 miles. Because of health problems I don't drive it that much anymore(no more long road trips that I love to do, just short 2-3 day trips).

I could sell them and put the money in the bank, but looking at a CD just doesn't give me the same feeling as looking at my Corvettes when I walk through the garage to get in my daily driver to go to Walmart to buy a laxative.

Next Saturday, I'll either drive the 64 or the Z06 down to Arkansas with our Corvette club, for an ice cream. It difficult to get any satisfaction throwing a CD into the passenger seat of my 4-door sedan daily driver. I would rather have the Corvettes sitting in my garage, and drive them occasionally, than have the money sitting in my bank.
Joe, take the '64 down to the bank and rob it. If you get caught sell all and get that CD to post in your prison cell. But stop for that cup of java on the way...............

DH
Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 AM
VLCTY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Some guys buy cars and rarely drive them. To them, just knowing that it is in their garage is worth the cost of admission + depreciation. I think there is a sense of satisfaction and even pride from this. It is proper and it is right, because it is a conscious choice that provides meaningful gratification and pleasure. It's not for me, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. Everyone gets their enjoyment out of life in different ways. It is your money and your car, spend it and use it how you choose and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But if you aren't getting the satisfaction and fulfillment you desire out of just "knowing it is there", then clearly it should be sold, and the funds put to a better use. These cars are not collector items, never were and never will be. Put a poster on your wall in remembrance.

Or, do what most of us Vette crazies do and drive the living **** out of it. Leave no stone un-turned, no road un-driven, no throttle un-mashed. No corner is too sharp, no straight-away is too long, no opportunity to stretch her legs should be ignored. Explore everything, extract every last bit of performance, push the car to its limits, and then push it some more. Drive it everywhere and anywhere. Groceries, canyons, work, track, dinner, rain, shine or the best of all - JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT. My neighbors think (know) that I am crazy, as I will drive my Vettes up and down the driveway for suspiciously long periods of time on a regular basis, before I end up picking one for the day and then away I go - off on another adventure. If there is a twisty road within 200 miles of me that I haven't driven, I would be surprised - but I still look almost every day. Just yesterday I found a very nice, recently paved, long and banked exit ramp that I had forgotten about while I was out heat cycling a new set of R-Compound tires in preparation for two days of track work beginning tomorrow at Watkins Glen. I circled around 14 times and can nail that ramp every time now at turn in, apex and track-out. Very satisfying. And yes I have a full-time job and a family.

Never mind saving it for someone else so that it is worth a few lousy thousand dollars more (which is unlikely anyhow). This is the only mistake that can be made. You saving your significant other for someone else too? Absurd. The term "gently used" doesn't exist in my vocabulary. "Well used but lovingly cared for" does. Our good friend Jerri is a prime example of this technique (well done Jerri). I really don't care what the next guy thinks, but if someone else ever does get my car they will get something that was used as intended, and cared for like a soul-mate. I will extract every last bit of enjoyment from every single thing I buy or do, and then I will scrape the bottom, turn the whole thing upside and shake it vigorously, just to be sure I didn't miss anything. There is always another drop in a squeezed lemon and always another squirt left in a box of wine.

Also, JerriVette is dead-on and exactly correct with every word he wrote, which is a miraculous event. He sounds like a nice guy as well. I would take him up on his offer. Just ignore him when his alter-ego takes over regarding LS7 failures. We all have our demons to contend with.
Well said. That's exactly how I treat my Z06!
The following users liked this post:
tonysz06 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Mordeth

Nailed it for me, and thank you! They are mine, fully paid for, I get my pleasure the way I want, when I want, not by someone else's standards, but mine.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 22k miles in my '08