Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need help picking cam! Cam only build central Indiana!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM
dbartromvette
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Need help picking cam! Cam only build central Indiana!

I am looking to put a cam in my stock 06 Z06 and am looking for some guidance. I currently only have axle back exhaust and am not planning on doing headers.

I would like to hear some lope at idle but don't want too much surging on the highway. I have been thinking about doing the Torquer 110 but am open to any suggestions. I do not daily drive my car and am just looking for more power! My car has just shy of 6k miles on it and does still have stock heads and everything else

I know that I am going to have to do springs and am open to suggestions on if I have to get the guides replaced. I am also wondering if I should have my heads decked at the same time. I am on a pretty tight mod budget and am looking to get somewhere around 520 at the wheels if possible! Let me know what you guys think.

Also, who should I call in Indiana to help me with the build? LPE is right up the road but there prices seem very high to me. Any suggestions for head work and tuning would be awesome! Thanks
Old 04-16-2017, 05:54 PM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I made 536rwhp with PRC265cc heads, Callaway intake, deleted cats and a small GP Tuning cam. Stock intake mani, tb, and stock exhaust manifolds. Drives almost like stock no bucking at all. I would absolutely do the valve guides. AHP basic package is enough and is pretty cheap.
The following users liked this post:
American Heritage (04-17-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:21 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

If doing a cam, valve guides is pretty much a must do. I'd do either the Torquer 110 or 116. The 110 will make a little more power, but the 116 will drive much better.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:21 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

You do not want a TQ 110. Ask my buddy. There are plenty of newer grinds with easier lobes on the valvetrain. XER lobes are harder on the valvetrain. Get a custom grind from cammotion or if you have to have an off the shelf grind their only LS7 cammotion grind is what you are looking for. You don't want a lobe seperation tigheter than 115-116 max... and u can still have your lope. Can't sound radical without completely changing the cars driving dynamics for the worse. If u had to go with katech.. the 116 is the ony one that would work with what you have or want.

Cam selection should not be made ***** nilly. Talk to experts that know. JMHO
Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Jjagg0125
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm in west Michigan. Talk to kohle at AHP. I was in your boat as well and went with AHP stage 4 heads, and their 116 cam as well with a entire install kit. Everything should be here Wednesday 😁. You can't go wrong with calling AHP and discussing your goals and budget.
The following users liked this post:
American Heritage (04-17-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

230/246 .634/.634 116LSA Cam Motion custom cam went in my Z last fall. Drives like stock but sounds wicked! Here's the first startup after the install at the shop. The idle sounds just like this. Love it!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Cam only build

I have an 08 Z06 and for the last 4 years and 10k miles have been running a Comp Cam with 228/248 duration, .623/.652 lift, 114 degree lobe centers. It has 8-9 degrees overlap. The cam installer also ported my OEM intake manifold and he installed PSI 1208x dual valve springs. These are the only engine-related changes. The exhaust manifold is OEM, the heads are OEM with no decking or porting, the mufflers are OEM with the muffler mod. RWHP is 515 and RWT is 497. Of course the ECM has been dyno and street tuned on 93 octane pump gas, which in Houston has 10% ethanol to help the corn farmers.

After the tuning was properly done, the car has been entirely reliable and idles with a slight lope at 800 RPM. The car runs down the road without bucking down to 65 mph in 6th gear. When driving in the parking lot, the engine will buck a little if the RPM is less than 1300. The cam timing transforms the car and the engine sounds like it has an attitude. Since the cam, the car has been run twice on big road courses, at speeds up to 150 mph. So the car is not babied.

I have no experience with shops or tuners in your area, so I cannot help you there. My heads are OEM GM replacements to address the valve guide issue. Some people have still seen the issue after installing the replacement heads, so my car will be having another wiggle test soon. If out of spec again, my heads will be going to AHC for decking (020) porting, and the Moldex valve guides.

I hope my experience helps you. Let me know if you have any further questions--I will try to help.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Jjagg0125
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.06
I have an 08 Z06 and for the last 4 years and 10k miles have been running a Comp Cam with 228/248 duration, .623/.652 lift, 114 degree lobe centers. It has 8-9 degrees overlap. The cam installer also ported my OEM intake manifold and he installed PSI 1208x dual valve springs. These are the only engine-related changes. The exhaust manifold is OEM, the heads are OEM with no decking or porting, the mufflers are OEM with the muffler mod. RWHP is 515 and RWT is 497. Of course the ECM has been dyno and street tuned on 93 octane pump gas, which in Houston has 10% ethanol to help the corn farmers.

After the tuning was properly done, the car has been entirely reliable and idles with a slight lope at 800 RPM. The car runs down the road without bucking down to 65 mph in 6th gear. When driving in the parking lot, the engine will buck a little if the RPM is less than 1300. The cam timing transforms the car and the engine sounds like it has an attitude. Since the cam, the car has been run twice on big road courses, at speeds up to 150 mph. So the car is not babied.

I have no experience with shops or tuners in your area, so I cannot help you there. My heads are OEM GM replacements to address the valve guide issue. Some people have still seen the issue after installing the replacement heads, so my car will be having another wiggle test soon. If out of spec again, my heads will be going to AHC for decking (020) porting, and the Moldex valve guides.

I hope my experience helps you. Let me know if you have any further questions--I will try to help.
Have a idle video? Would be interested at how that sounds with the stock manifolds 👍🏻
Old 04-16-2017, 09:55 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjagg0125
Have a idle video? Would be interested at how that sounds with the stock manifolds 👍🏻
I do have idle videos, both cold and hot.

Other information for OP:
You need to understand that some cams seem to need tuned tubular headers more than others to develop much in the way of power and torque increase. From the results I have seen, this is definitely true with the Torquer 110. So when forum members quote dyno power numbers, be sure you understand that this is with the OEM exhaust manifolds, not long tube headers. I am not against long tube headers, but one needs to realize that the headers and installation can add over $2k to the cost, and dealing with the heat issues that invariably result must be added to that cost.

Other points: When looking at various cams versus drivability, be sure that you understand the overlap of the intake and exhaust lobes. More overlap sounds cool, but = less drivability.

When looking at various cams, be sure to understand the lobe profiles incorporated in the design. More aggressive valve acceleration = more wear on lifters and valve train components over time. Actually it means that more frequent parts replacement will be required.

Last edited by Z.06; 04-17-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Add idle videos
Old 04-16-2017, 10:02 PM
dbartromvette
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
230/246 .634/.634 116LSA Cam Motion custom cam went in my Z last fall. Drives like stock but sounds wicked! Here's the first startup after the install at the shop. The idle sounds just like this. Love it!

That sounds great! Thank you for posting!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Macattack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, who should I call in Indiana to help me with the build? LPE is right up the road but there prices seem very high to me. Any suggestions for head work and tuning would be awesome! Thanks[/QUOTE]

Fat house Fabricators (Indy)
Norris Motorsports (Plainfield)
LPE- you mentioned
Speed, Inc (Chicago area)

I'd give those guys a call, let them know your goals and see which one fits the bill for your needs. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2017, 05:13 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjagg0125
I'm in west Michigan. Talk to kohle at AHP. I was in your boat as well and went with AHP stage 4 heads, and their 116 cam as well with a entire install kit. Everything should be here Wednesday 😁. You can't go wrong with calling AHP and discussing your goals and budget.
Thank you for your business.

We are always glad to discuss options with customers or potential customers.

As mentioned above we can sell you the entire package (heads, cam, gaskets, bolts and all). We can even do remote tuning if needed.

OP if you have any head or cam questions give us a call 310-326-2399 or shoot us an email HP@americanheritageperformance.com

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 04-17-2017 at 05:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help picking cam! Cam only build central Indiana!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need help picking cam! Cam only build central Indiana!