Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Washing your Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:35 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Washing your Z06

What methods of washing are you guys using for your cars? I live in southwest Las Vegas where our water is VERY hard. I've owned my Z06 for 2.5 months and have not washed it at my house yet because I know the water will cause very bad water spots all over the car. You should see what the water does to our sinks and toilets.

I found a really good mobile detail company and used them with great results but I'd prefer not to spend $60 every time to have someone come out to my house. I actually enjoy washing my cars but won't wash the Z06 with my hard water.

What are some options available? Do any of you take your cars to hand wash only car washes? I won't use the automatic car washes that use those big brushes because I feel that will damage the paint.

Any products I can buy that use no water or clean up the water some how?
Old 04-19-2017, 02:42 PM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

buy a water deionizer for your house. only use it to wash your car. problem solved
Old 04-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,109 Likes on 605 Posts

i used to be a die hard ONR fan, then i learned about Wolfgang rinseless car wash... i have to say i like it better. two buckets of water, a slew of microfiber towels and some cold beer is all you need

edit - and most of the rinseless stuff has water softening agents in it

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...inseless-wash/

Last edited by Travlee; 04-19-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Marc_
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not invest in a water softener or filtration system? There are some water free cleaning supplies but i wouldn't used them if the car is really dirty. I use lucas speed wax for touching up but use chemical guys foam gun with a pressure washer to was my cars.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,109 Likes on 605 Posts

if mine is nasty dirty, i take it to the car wash and spray it off then go hand wash it.... been doing this for 2 years on this car, and 2+ years on last car that was black.... never received any wash related scratches

Last edited by Travlee; 04-19-2017 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Javvy (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I use CR spotless if it's really dirty or caked with bugs. if it's just dust I use quick detailer.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Adams rinseless wash works amazingly well.

My car probably see a full wet wash 2 times a year. Other than that Adams maybe every 6 weeks for a rinseless wipe down.

You can buy a system to remove the minerals from the rinse, or just dry the car in a timely manner. Hard water isn't bad to remove if it did build up. A quick buff takes it out quickly enough.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

A good friend uses one of these: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/cr-spo...17=1o3&veh=sem

I personally just don't let water dry on the surface. Always wash in the shade and keep the car wet until it's time to dry.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Don't use city water. Or a hose for that matter. I use OMR No Rinse car wash. Two buckets of water, a mitt, and a towel. Works great. You use almost no water, you can buy water or use filtered water so you never have to worry about it being hard, and you get great results, and it's super fast. Here's my video:

OMR No Rinse:
https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 04-19-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Durien512
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Don't use city water. Or a hose for that matter. I use OMR No Rinse car wash. Two buckets of water, a mitt, and a towel. Works great. You use almost no water, you can buy water or use filtered water so you never have to worry about it being hard, and you get great results, and it's super fast. Here's my video:

OMR No Rinse: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR201.../dp/B00D8DR0AO
Nice! Makes me want to go clean my car
Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 PM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Adams rinseless wash works amazingly well.

My car probably see a full wet wash 2 times a year. Other than that Adams maybe every 6 weeks for a rinseless wipe down.

Yu can buy a system to remove the minerals from the rinse, or just dry the car in a timely manner. Hard water isn't bad to remove if it did build up. A quick buff takes it out quickly enough.
I agree Adams is good stuff, the waterless wash is good stuff.
Watch his videos on YouTube or on his website and you'll be getting complements everywhere you go.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm not sure about the hard water issues, but try to not touch your car unless you have to. Even with a good two bucket method, you will get swirls. I'm really liking my foam cannon followed by a good rinse and blow dry at home. I do have to hand wash bugs off the front a bit and I use wheel brushes to get all the brake dust off. If I want it looking extra good I'll use quick detailer and a microfiber afterwards.

For the interior just to use only water as much as possible. I see a lot of interiors that have been ruined by greasy armor all type products. That was a big deterrent for me when I was looking to buy a used Z06.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 PM
11GrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Look up "Gary Dean Wash Method". He has some good videos on explaining rinseless wash style car cleaning.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 PM
fattiremike
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

So, I live in Washington, where it rains all the time. I have set up a rainwater catchment system where I have 2200 gallons of rainwater at my disposal. Rainwater is soft, no minerals. Awesome for washing a car. I use a pressure washer to rinse off the bugs and whatnot, then foam cannon, then rinse with the pressure washer. Then, I get out my Stihl blower and blow dry. The key is to not touch the car. That way you don't get spider webs.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 AM
Long Barrel Colt
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I take mine to River Bend car wash in Yorba Linda CA. Best car wash in So Cal. These guys take their time, wash it by hand as opposed to running it through the system and pay attention to detail. Between washes I take my California car duster to it. Rick

Last edited by Long Barrel Colt; 04-20-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:06 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tech
A good friend uses one of these: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/cr-spo...17=1o3&veh=sem

I personally just don't let water dry on the surface. Always wash in the shade and keep the car wet until it's time to dry.
Has your friend had good experience with the CR spotless system? I live in Las Vegas where even at 6AM it can be 105 degrees. Unfortunately even if I wash in the shade the car can start drying within minutes.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:13 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fattiremike
So, I live in Washington, where it rains all the time. I have set up a rainwater catchment system where I have 2200 gallons of rainwater at my disposal. Rainwater is soft, no minerals. Awesome for washing a car. I use a pressure washer to rinse off the bugs and whatnot, then foam cannon, then rinse with the pressure washer. Then, I get out my Stihl blower and blow dry. The key is to not touch the car. That way you don't get spider webs.
How do you get the dirt and grime off the car if you don't touch it? I'm trying to imagine this. If you have some bad road grime or dirt on the paint of the car. And you spray it with soap and then rinse it off, how are you getting all the dirt off if you aren't actually wiping it off?

Get notified of new replies

To Washing your Z06

Old 04-20-2017, 05:15 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default No Water

I do not use any water to clean my vettes, I use Adams waterless car cleaner and their detail spray, sometimes Meguiars products. I keep the engine bay and undercarriage clean with various products by hand, with no water and no pressure cleaning.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Buy a cheap water softener for the house, you can wash your cars plus it will fix the toilets, sinks, tub and shower.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 PM
fattiremike
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
How do you get the dirt and grime off the car if you don't touch it? I'm trying to imagine this. If you have some bad road grime or dirt on the paint of the car. And you spray it with soap and then rinse it off, how are you getting all the dirt off if you aren't actually wiping it off?
True, if the car is really dirty, you are going to have to hand wash it. I have the weather-tech car wash system and use the two bucket method. But, I don't drive my Z in the rain so the foam cannon does a great job by itself. The foam running off the car carries the dirt off. I was skeptical at first but it really works well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Washing your Z06