Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Purchased "fixed" heads from vendor, still dropped a valve <500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonScott
So the following specs are for the heads/cam I had installed. Going to try and contact the vendor when they open up in a couple hours.

1.61" Hollow-Stem Exhaust Valve
2.200" Titanium Intake Valve
.660 Spring Kit w/ Titanium retainers
7.800 Chromoly LS7 Pushrods, 3/8 Diameter with 5/16 Ball Ends
Cam- 234/246 .635/.635 (w1.8 rockers) 115+3 LSA

This was all fully assembled prior to arriving to me.
Do you know if they reused OE valves or installed new valves? If the intakes are OE Ti, and it was the intake that failed...check to see if lash caps were reinstalled on the other intact Ti valves. If they weren't, the head assembler should be held liable.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:24 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Datrojan
The dropped valve issue impacts a small number of LS7 engines.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Now that's funny and they have "buddies" that know it all. Wonder which Buddy they call at 4:00 am?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM
BrandonScott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Do you know if they reused OE valves or installed new valves? If the intakes are OE Ti, and it was the intake that failed...check to see if lash caps were reinstalled on the other intact Ti valves. If they weren't, the head assembler should be held liable.
Intakes were OE Ti. No lash caps present on any of the other intact Ti valves. I have a picture of the heads prior to installation and they don't appear to have lash caps. Should the installer of the new heads have swapped lash caps with my stock heads? I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to this unfortunately.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

You need lash caps with OE Ti valves.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Intakes were OE Ti. No lash caps present on any of the other intact Ti valves. I have a picture of the heads prior to installation and they don't appear to have lash caps. Should the installer of the new heads have swapped lash caps with my stock heads? I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to this unfortunately.
Yes, the OE Ti valves require lash caps or else the Ti intake valve tip will get pulverized and damaged by the rocker arm until it fails. So yes, they should've been reinstalled.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

You'll want to take a hard look at the failed valve then..... After time without the lash cap, the tip of the valve will wear. Additionally, the rocker may come in contact with the retainer or locks and unseat the retainer, which will allow the valve to drop into the cylinder. You may have found your smoking gun.....

If you got the R&R'd heads from AHP, they note in the packaging in very large and bold letters that lash caps must be used and the installer will not have an excuse for "not knowing" about them.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Here is another thread where the same thing happened...missing lash caps, and a dropped valve. Most mechanics that don't specifically have LS7 experience, wouldn't know anything about the caps being required. Unfortunately, sometimes the simplest mistakes are the most expensive.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-hills-sd.html
Old 04-20-2017, 03:07 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Datrojan
The dropped valve issue impacts a small number of LS7 engines.

Sorry to hear about your engine failure OP. But some posters here have done a great job of creating hysteria for new Z06 owners.
Name:  ba7effd0d615fc03d2cad495fb2c9d11.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  89.6 KB

Old 04-20-2017, 03:41 PM
BrandonScott
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Here is another thread where the same thing happened...missing lash caps, and a dropped valve. Most mechanics that don't specifically have LS7 experience, wouldn't know anything about the caps being required. Unfortunately, sometimes the simplest mistakes are the most expensive.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-hills-sd.html
I'm going to swing by the mechanic in a few hours, I wouldnt be suprised if this is the case. The mechanic who installed the heads is INCREDIBLY popular in the Phoenix area and actually has a H/C/I C6Z on spray. If it is the lash cap I guess I am just taking the loss on this one and learning a 15000 dollar lesson.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:41 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Really unfortunate position that you are in. Certainly the lack of lash caps on Ti valves would be an issue.

Sounds like you are going to need a whole new bottom end, and you might end up needing an entire new engine. $8.5k sounds like a good deal for a rebuilt LS7 if you could perhaps get some paperwork on it. Would have to pick it up locally, in NH.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS7-7-0L-V8-...RYZU5p&vxp=mtr
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

IF these are OEM inakes AND you know what a lash cap is AND there isn't one on every single intake valve, someone (the installer, NOT the head re-work vendor) owes you a motor, peroid-end.

My advice, DO NOT open the other valve cover, or if you do, video tape the process (not pictures - you need proof that you didn't take them off yourself) - no vendor, no matter how large, wants to eat 10K in parts and hours of free labor, not to mention the credibility hit they will take.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 04-20-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I think the mechanic who didn't install the lash caps has some liability here. I'm sorry to see this happen to you. You may want to contact an attorney before doing anything else.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

ASE= Ask Someone Else

seriously some of the worse mechanics I've ever met are "certified"

not taking anything away away from the OP but he said he wasn't that far in depth with these things so are we sure the lash caps are missing? It certainly would make sense. Even a worse case scenario of bad stock heads wouldn't cause failure in 500 miles, on the intake valves no less.... pretty evident it seems there was an install error or faulty part here somewhere rather than the typical guide issue
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM
BrandonScott
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redbird555
ASE= Ask Someone Else

seriously some of the worse mechanics I've ever met are "certified"

not taking anything away away from the OP but he said he wasn't that far in depth with these things so are we sure the lash caps are missing? It certainly would make sense. Even a worse case scenario of bad stock heads wouldn't cause failure in 500 miles, on the intake valves no less.... pretty evident it seems there was an install error or faulty part here somewhere rather than the typical guide issue
I'm certainly not too familiar with these things which is why I had it towed to a local auto shop. They're the ones who told me it was missing lash caps. I will swing by his shop in a couple hours and verify for myself. If the caps are missing I'll record the other valve cover being opened and verify that the caps arent on any of the intake valves.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:35 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

that spring kit and cam lift sounds like Texas Speed. am i right?

and to answer your question, no the vendor is rarely ever liable.
they have no control over weather you sprayed 400 hp of nitrous threw it, or down shifted to 1st gear at 80mph etc. even if you didnt.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboworld
I assume that the issue is with an Intake valve since the one that you are holding is not hollow.
It could even be a Ferrera hollow stem exhaust valve. The hollow part doesn't start until quite a ways up in the stem. The OP didn't specify whether it was an OEM valve or not.

Edit: It sure appears to be an intake though, especially in light of it not having lash caps. It would probably take about 500 miles for the rocker to eat through the titanium valve tip, enough to wear the valve tip down to the valve lock/keeper groove. The locks would then pop out and the valve would then drop. The rest of the intakes probably aren't far away from dropping.

Last edited by Undy; 04-20-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchased "fixed" heads from vendor, still dropped a valve <500 miles

Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

At this point I think it's a good idea to just forego "fixed" heads and just buy aftermarket heads, such as the PRC heads.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
It could even be a Ferrera hollow stem exhaust valve. The hollow part doesn't start until quite a ways up in the stem. The OP didn't specify whether it was an OEM valve or not.
I didn't know that so I am curious to the answer. What broke, Intake or Exhaust?

I had a local company build my car and I now want to go check my valves for lash caps, because I certainly haven't looked since my heads were rebuilt and installed.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
At this point I think it's a good idea to just forego "fixed" heads and just buy aftermarket heads, such as the PRC heads.
IF, and its a big IF, this is a matter of not re-installing the lash caps, i.e. an installer error, the brand of head has zero impact on the outcome.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Purchased "fixed" heads from vendor, still dropped a valve <500 miles