Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] WTB: Atomic Orange or Inferno Orange ZR1

Old 05-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to hear this! It is a shame that we still have people working in car dealerships today that don't have the decency to just treat people they way THEY would want to be treated.

I certainly do not know Texas motor vehicle law, but in most states both new and used car dealers are licensed by the state's motor vehicle administration (might not be called that in Texas). In a lot of states, their ability to renew their license each year can be based on consumer complaints and how they were handled. If I were you, I would contact the Texas MVA and find out if they have a consumer protection agency. If so, I would file a written complaint. It probably is not going to salvage the deal, but they deserve to go through some level of pain for what they put you through. I would also publish the dealer's name (don't remember if you have already included it in a prior post) so that other forum member's can avoid, and possibly pass on your experience with this particular dealer to other forum members. Lastly, the ZR1 community is pretty small and if it truly was sold to another forum member it won't be long before they will be posting on this site. I, for one, will avoid any posts that particular member writes. It is one thing to want what you want, it is another to poach a deal from another forum member. If your information is accurate, that forum member is no better than the dealer that screwed you!

Just my opinion!
The following users liked this post:
Vetteman2 (08-15-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:51 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ
Not just deposit, I wired the entire $78k Friday morning. They accused me of saying I wanted to take the car even if the wire was pending, which is just ridiculous. They were supposed to tell me at end of business day on Friday if it did not clear. Did not hear from them so I flew down with a cashiers check, $78k cash AND my check book where they could call Chase (same bank they use) and verify funds...and don't forget the wire I sent was also another form so four forms of payment for one vehicle.

My longtime best friend picked up from the airport and I was going to get him a ZO6 or regular stingray as well, but that obviously did not happen. Instead I went back to the airport and caught a flight back home.
Yeah that sucks, it has happened to me several times. You have to constantly check and put alerts on all the big sites like Cargurus. I missed out on the 1500 mile 2013 I/O at Corvetteworld by just a couple hours a couple weeks ago. I had this 2011 ZO6/ZO7 Carbon Package with the HPE 600 Hennessy upgrade on it as a back up. Got here about midnight. Great car and appears to actually be faster on the lower end than my stock 09 ZR1. Haven't had time to get it on the
Attached Images   
Old 05-08-2017, 01:59 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 09ZR1
Yeah that sucks, it has happened to me several times. You have to constantly check and put alerts on all the big sites like Cargurus. I missed out on the 1500 mile 2013 I/O at Corvetteworld by just a couple hours a couple weeks ago. I had this 2011 ZO6/ZO7 Carbon Package with the HPE 600 Hennessy upgrade on it as a back up. Got here about midnight. Great car and appears to actually be faster on the lower end than my stock 09 ZR1. Haven't had time to get it on the
Beautiful car!!! The only other car I'd think about getting other than a ZR1 is a Z06/Z07 (or a Carbon edition)......pretty much a ZR1 without the badge in your case, well done!
Old 05-08-2017, 03:59 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z06vettewannabe
Beautiful car!!! The only other car I'd think about getting other than a ZR1 is a Z06/Z07 (or a Carbon edition)......pretty much a ZR1 without the badge in your case, well done!
Took the car out on the expressway during lunch, all I can say is wow. I have read where some people on this forum bashed Hennessy for whatever reasons but I'm impressed. Performs just as well as my ZR1 and at over $30,000 cheaper than the 2013 I/O ZR1 I was wanting to buy 2 weeks ago I can live with it..
Attached Images   
Old 05-09-2017, 11:13 AM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Not just deposit, I wired the entire $78k Friday morning. They accused me of saying I wanted to take the car even if the wire was pending, which is just ridiculous. They were supposed to tell me at end of business day on Friday if it did not clear. Did not hear from them so I flew down with a cashiers check, $78k cash AND my check book where they could call Chase (same bank they use) and verify funds...and don't forget the wire I sent was also another form so four forms of payment for one vehicle.

My longtime best friend picked up from the airport and I was going to get him a ZO6 or regular stingray as well, but that obviously did not happen. Instead I went back to the airport and caught a flight back home.
That's horrible, but I can't say it surprises me. I've only met one car salesperson that I trust, and even they work for someone who can pull rank and sell to another person off the street with a higher offer.

I'm also curious who this other buyer is and if they were aware that a deal had already been made. If he/she knew this, this person is no better than the dealership that broke the agreement with you, but it's possible they didn't know. Until we know for sure, don't write the person off because there's a strong chance he/she will eventually show up here.....

Don't give up. Silas found an IO ZR1 in a few weeks and you almost got one in even less time. It's only a matter of time before another pops up and posts it here, and it sounds like you can make the purchase the same day for the right car.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:13 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Took the car out on the expressway during lunch, all I can say is wow. I have read where some people on this forum bashed Hennessy for whatever reasons but I'm impressed. Performs just as well as my ZR1 and at over $30,000 cheaper than the 2013 I/O ZR1 I was wanting to buy 2 weeks ago I can live with it..
You avoided dealing with him directly, and grabbed a nice car that was already built. Probably the best way to deal with Hennessy. Either way, at least you got a kick *** car.

Here's one such interesting read on the guy's reputation... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ight=Hennessey

Quick Google search can find those reasons as well. He's been sued numerous times. BBB rating in the toilet. He's robbed Peter to pay Paul by taking parts off of one car and putting them on another, and passing those parts off as new. He's personally logged on to car forums like this and engaged in childish name calling arguments. Just a real piece of work. Haven't seen the shenanigans as much these days, so maybe he's grown up...but he doesn't get a pass with me.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:03 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 2009 Atomic Orange ZR1 FOR SALE TODAY

Didn't go so well. Paid a deposit Thursday evening after working a deal. Wired the money Friday morning and told them I was catching a flight Sat morning. Received a text saying if it did not clear, I could not take the car-understandable. They said I could take a cashiers check and I said I would not have time to get one. Asked about personal check and they said "no dealership takes personal checks", which is untrue. I have paid for five cars in the past month with checks at dealerships. Told them if it didn't clear bybend of business to let me now.

I went ahead and got a cashiers check. There was certainly a heated discussion between me and the sales manager. I did not hear from them about wire not clearing so I flew in. Showed up with a back up cashiers check and $78k cash. When all was said and done, I was told there was some miscommunication and the car was sold to "another member on the Corvette forum". Car was still there somewhere but a deposit was given. I surmise it was sold for more than the deal with me. There is lots more but doesn't matter now.

So, lesson learned...don't talk about a purchase of a hard to find car because it may get sold. I'd like to know who bought it and for how much. And if you are in TX, I have the custom plate "ZR1 86" I ordered Friday night plus a ZR1 OEM car cover and jacking pucks. Glad I waited on the wheels and exhaust.

Now I will just sit back and wait to see if another Orange one pops up.
Well here you go, 2009 A/O ZR1 3Z LOW MILES $73,000.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 PM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 114 Posts

That car is the one I missed 2x's in 2015........the owner is a CF member.

I know because my AO/ZR1 is 1173

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...r1-number-1172
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RidgeRunner0207
That car is the one I missed 2x's in 2015........the owner is a CF member.

I know because my AO/ZR1 is 1173

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...r1-number-1172
It's all I can do to hold back on buying it, with only 35 in existence how many more times will a low mile and apparently one in great shape be around to purchase in the future? Just goes to show you never know when the one your looking for will show up one day. I thought I would try to pass it along to the member who lost out on the I/O last week. Had I not purchased a 2011 Crystal Red Metallic 740 mile ZR1 2 weeks ago and the 2011 I/O ZO6/ZO7 Carbon Package one with all the other goodies on it this car would be on its way to me. I'm not a nut who thinks I'm hoarding some sort of future pot of gold I just wanted to stockpile a few of the best performing vehicles I've ever driven to hold me over the rest of my days. With the CAFE regulations coming in just a few more short years the era of fossil fuel powered sports car may be coming to the end...
Attached Images    
Old 05-10-2017, 10:17 PM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Just buy it..........I had 3 until a few weeks ago, 2009 AO Z06 was traded on a Boxster for the wife, but you need a 3rd..........LOL

You have some nice examples !!

The black one is a ZR1 as well ??

Last edited by RidgeRunner0207; 05-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Just buy it..........I had 3 until a few weeks ago, 2009 AO Z06 was traded on a Boxster for the wife, but you need a 3rd..........LOL

You have some nice examples !!

The black one is a ZR1 as well ??
Yes, it's the 2009 ZR1 in my avatar. I'm running out of room and can't bring myself to sell any, I fianally found a 2001 ZO6 Speedway White with red Modified interior that has 1800 miles on it a few months ago from a deceased 83 year old man in Arizona who bought it new, have another
2001 ZO6 with 5200 on it that bought in 2003, ordered a 2010 2SS Camaro that has sat in the garage since new accumulating only 1600 miles, have a 1978 Special Edition Trans Am with 4 speed transmission where only 489 were made, it has 43,000 original miles in showroom condition that I bought from the deceased original owners son for the cost of probably his months supply of crack, he didn't care anything about the car or any if the other 20-25 he had in his collection. End of the summer moving to the lake house and will have to build another garage. Have several more behind the doors
Attached Images      
Old 05-11-2017, 07:30 AM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Just buy it, rent a spot for one of them for a few months........its easy.

I rented a storage space until I moved into my building, now I need more room so am looking to move again.

I need about 5k sq/feet.

Too bad you cannot stack them.

I stack mine to save space in my shop, nice collection and a variety.

You need a 2013/427 Vert thrown in that collection as well !!!

On Edit : The GA "AD VALORUM TAX" must be killing you !!! In SC we cap out at $300 tax.

Last edited by RidgeRunner0207; 05-11-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:45 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't imagine buying an orange car.

But the AO and IO for the ZR1 are both amazing renditions of orange that I'd buy in a heartbeat.

And the Crystal Red from the first page is stunning too.
The following users liked this post:
Rich427 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 04:47 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Just buy it, rent a spot for one of them for a few months........its easy.

I rented a storage space until I moved into my building, now I need more room so am looking to move again.

I need about 5k sq/feet.

Too bad you cannot stack them.

I stack mine to save space in my shop, nice collection and a variety.

You need a 2013/427 Vert thrown in that collection as well !!!

On Edit : The GA "AD VALORUM TAX" must be killing you !!! In SC we cap out at $300 tax.
The vehicle tax here in Ga is ridiculous, that is another consideration in not selling any of them any time soon. The politicians sold it by saying it was a one time "fee" to get your tag but if your someone who likes to buy a new vehicle every few years you get killed on it. The tag for the 09 ZR1 was over $4000 and had it been tagged in Ga when new it would have been close to $9000. Even with that you still have pay to renew your tag each year..of course the new car dealers paid their lobbyist millions to get that passed crying about how the used car dealers had a unfair advantage plus it grabbed tax money on private sales. It's just another part of the never ending quest for the government to get every dollar they can. A couple years ago a attempt was made to tax the rain, the plan was to figure out how much roof square footage you had along with all the driveway sf on your property and to assess a tax on the rain water runoff. The pitch on that one was the rain water would drain into the county storm sewer system and someone had to pay for the upkeep.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:33 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I can't imagine buying an orange car.

But the AO and IO for the ZR1 are both amazing renditions of orange that I'd buy in a heartbeat.

And the Crystal Red from the first page is stunning too.
Until I saw a I/O in person I would have never thought I would like or want one either. It's like having several different color cars all in one, depending on the light it has fairly dramatic shades of color changes, sometimes it looks more red than anything then can later in the day look bright orange to all colors in between.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:25 AM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

The vehicle tax here in Ga is ridiculous, that is another consideration in not selling any of them any time soon. The politicians sold it by saying it was a one time "fee" to get your tag but if your someone who likes to buy a new vehicle every few years you get killed on it. The tag for the 09 ZR1 was over $4000 and had it been tagged in Ga when new it would have been close to $9000. Even with that you still have pay to renew your tag each year..of course the new car dealers paid their lobbyist millions to get that passed crying about how the used car dealers had a unfair advantage plus it grabbed tax money on private sales. It's just another part of the never ending quest for the government to get every dollar they can. A couple years ago a attempt was made to tax the rain, the plan was to figure out how much roof square footage you had along with all the driveway sf on your property and to assess a tax on the rain water runoff. The pitch on that one was the rain water would drain into the county storm sewer system and someone had to pay for the upkeep.
I dont know how big your collection is but i bet it would have been cheaper to get and maintain a dealer license and ins if thats the taxes per car your paying
Old 05-12-2017, 08:18 AM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
I dont know how big your collection is but i bet it would have been cheaper to get and maintain a dealer license and ins if thats the taxes per car your paying
He should buy a shack just over the line in SC and make it his 6 mo/1 day address.

Register everything here for $25/tags and $300 one time sales tax.

One of the reasons I chose SC over GA and NC and FL.

I like to buy and sell all the time, with only a $300 tax liability who cares if you trade in or sell privately !!!

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: Atomic Orange or Inferno Orange ZR1

Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 PM
RidgeRunner0207
Pro

Hmmmmmmmmm

And yet another for sale !!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...odelCode1=CORV
Old 05-29-2017, 03:39 AM
nzkiwivet
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=175213936
don`t know if this one is still available?
Old 06-06-2017, 11:27 AM
SPDKLZ
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Found it!!!

Worked a deal shortly after the Houston dealer went south. It took three weeks to get everything settled and car picked up, but here it is. I did as I said and did not mention anything about this car so it would not get bought from under me like the last one.

I will do a new post with a few more pics.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] WTB: Atomic Orange or Inferno Orange ZR1