Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch pedal went to floor after topping off fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 09:21 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Clutch pedal went to floor after topping off fluid

Noticed the clutch fluid reservoir was low enough that the straw inside the reservoir was not getting any fluid from the reservoir so I topped it off with DOT4 and the clutch went to the floor. Never had any issues with the clutch prior to this. Why would adding some fluid do this? I can pull the clutch up by hand and it will stay up but if I push it, it will snap to the floor. It either snaps up or down but will not hold any pressure. Any ideas? I already tried bleeding the line but did not make any difference. Seems like it could be the clutch master cylinder but not sure why it would go out all of a sudden at the exact time I added fluid.

Last edited by etazbaz; 05-28-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

There is a recall,I believe 14717, or tsb that addresses the master cylinder issue, I don't recall the particulars and years but maybe Google it.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:54 AM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Issue

Originally Posted by etazbaz
Noticed the clutch fluid reservoir was low enough that the straw inside the reservoir was not getting any fluid from the reservoir so I topped it off with DOT4 and the clutch went to the floor. Never had any issues with the clutch prior to this. Why would adding some fluid do this? I can pull the clutch up by hand and it will stay up but if I push it, it will snap to the floor. It either snaps up or down but will not hold any pressure. Any ideas? I already tried bleeding the line but did not make any difference. Seems like it could be the clutch master cylinder but not sure why it would go out all of a sudden at the exact time I added fluid.
Still unsure if it's a formal recall or not, but depends on the dealer that handles it. My car suffers from this time to time. I keep performing the ranger method to help purge the fluid and this has helped my car. I keep it flushed well and rarely come across the issue anymore.

Here is a thread with the information
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-14717-a.html

Last edited by _BlueZ06_; 05-28-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:20 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by _BlueZ06_
Still unsure if its a formal recall or not, but depends on the dealer that handles it. My car suffers from this time to time. I keep performing the ranger method to help purge the fluid and this has helped my car. I keep it flushed well and rarely come across the issue anymore.

Here is a thread with the information
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-14717-a.html
i didn't want to deal with the dealer so I pulled out the master cylinder and ordered a new one. Hopefully this fixes it. There weren't any external leaks anywhere so if the master cylinder is defective it is internal. Is there a way to verify if the cylinder is bad? I will put in the new part regardless but would like to have confidence knowing this was the culprit.

The MC comes with the reservoir assembly which is prefilled. Will I still need to bleed the system after making the connection to the slave cylinder?
Old 05-28-2017, 07:11 PM
eshuber
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes - you will need to bleed the MC after installing it. I usually pre-bled on the bench first. After install, all you need to bleed is "crack" open the brake lines to the MC while a helper is pressing on the brake pedal. This should work.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:19 PM
etazbaz
Racer

This is for the clutch not he brakes.
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (06-02-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 PM
sbrooks64
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by etazbaz
i didn't want to deal with the dealer so I pulled out the master cylinder and ordered a new one. Hopefully this fixes it. There weren't any external leaks anywhere so if the master cylinder is defective it is internal. Is there a way to verify if the cylinder is bad? I will put in the new part regardless but would like to have confidence knowing this was the culprit.

The MC comes with the reservoir assembly which is prefilled. Will I still need to bleed the system after making the connection to the slave cylinder?
The dealer replaced my clutch master cylinder. It was covered by GM if your car is under 10 years and 120K miles. I haven't had a problem since it was replaced. I had to get the car towed to the dealer.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 AM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by sbrooks64
The dealer replaced my clutch master cylinder. It was covered by GM if your car is under 10 years and 120K miles. I haven't had a problem since it was replaced. I had to get the car towed to the dealer.
put in the $91 replacement part. Everything works. Moving on with my life.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal went to floor after topping off fluid

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch pedal went to floor after topping off fluid